Would this work?

R

RussReynolds

Here's what I am trying to do:

Work - outlook (exchange) - not allowed to sync with windows mobile
Home - outlook synced with windows mobile

So, I would like all 3 (home computer, work computer, windows mobile) to be synced.

Would this work:

Daily: Import work outlook exchange calendar data to Google Calendar. When home, export Google calendar data to home outlook. Sync home outlook with PDA.

Would this work? Am I making it too complicated?

Thanks,

Russ

L

lmw

that would work - the outlook exchange forces you to take that extra step, but it seems like the simplest option - and would work fine.

I sync my outlook (not exchange) to my treo, then sync the treo with google over the air. It's so simple. You might even be able to sync your palm to google, so you could sync both computers separately to google, and keep the palm updated easily - I'm on Palm OS so I don't know if it works for WM - check it out!

djpappas

Registered
Yes but,

Similar to some of the other questions that have been posed on the topic - there's a reason your company is not allowing you to sync to your mobile device. It's very likely the 'spirit' behind the policy is violated by putting information on a web service.

So, I qualify my answer with the above.

What you suggest will work, but...

...my recommendation would be to use Plaxo. Install it on your home and work PCs and it will keep the two sync'd. Once your information is available at home you can sync to your mobile device. The only effort you expend to keep everything sync'd is install the application.

kewms

Registered
In the spirit of djpappas' post, remember that a solution may work technically while still leaving traces and/or making alarms go off in your company's IT department. The consequences of those alarms will vary depending on your company and the reason for the policy, but assuming that your actions will be undetectable is a very very bad idea.

Some companies ban PDAs from their network because they are worried about viruses and other threats, or because the IT department simply doesn't have the resources to support PDAs. Some companies use such restrictions to prevent accidental or deliberate leaks of proprietary and/or customer information. Be sure you understand the reasons behind and the consequences for violating a policy before you try to bypass it.

Katherine

R

RussReynolds

Thanks djpappas.

I was a little misleading. I actually am allowed to sync my windows mobile at work. I should say that they won't do it because I lost the original cd for the software. They can't be bothered to download the software from the manufacturer as they are worried about spyware etc.

Having said that, this Plaxo sounds interesting. Plaxo will actually sync your home outlook with your work outlook (exchange)?

hth

Registered
RussReynolds;52255 said:
Thanks djpappas.

I was a little misleading. I actually am allowed to sync my windows mobile at work. I should say that they won't do it because I lost the original cd for the software. They can't be bothered to download the software from the manufacturer as they are worried about spyware etc.

Having said that, this Plaxo sounds interesting. Plaxo will actually sync your home outlook with your work outlook (exchange)?

Nevertheless I recommend, that you keep contact to your IT-department. maybe you could become testuser for this new configuration. If yes, write a little testreport for them.

Yours
Alexander