Writing it all Down

A

Anonymous

Is the stress of writing it all down really that much less than the stress that results from not writing it all down?

This is one area (besides collecting processing, organizing, reviewing and doing) that I have a hard time with...

A

Anonymous

Writing it all down

The writing down is an exercise in expression...this should relieve the stress & pressure of juggling to dos with your mind. :?

Jeff K

Registered
"out of sight out of mind" - In other words, writing it down allows you to let go and relax.

Also, the written word can be very powerful for a number of reasons. I've noticed, that when something comes up in a mind sweep, or weekly review which I have resistance towards, I hesitate even to write it down, as that is the first step towards making a committment.

Thoughts are fleeting, and if there's one that represents a responsibilty you don't feel like tackling, you can quickly replace it with another thought.

If you find that writing it all down is as stressful as not, then there has to be a good reason - resistance? procrastination?

My journey into GTD has made me realize that all those years of procrastination existed for a reason - because I was afraid of my own clarity and creativity - now that my decks (inbox, email, etc) are cleared on a very regular basis, I feel like the proverbial artist facing the blank canvas - alternately terrified and exhilirated - I can do anything I choose now that I've quieted the noise and the backlog, so what will I do, and thereby become responsible to?

I used procrastination as a means of avoiding repsonsibility - "oh, I can't take on that project just now, because I've got all this 'stuff' in my face to deal with first....."

David Allen's analogy of martial arts is quite appropriate, as one is working on layers of themselves, as they master successive "belts" of efficiency and clarity.

A

Anonymous

My journey into GTD has made me realize that all those years of procrastination existed for a reason - because I was afraid of my own clarity and creativity - now that my decks (inbox, email, etc) are cleared on a very regular basis, I feel like the proverbial artist facing the blank canvas - alternately terrified and exhilirated - I can do anything I choose now that I've quieted the noise and the backlog, so what will I do, and thereby become responsible to?

Your entire message is worth quoting and saving (I shall), but the point above especially resonated with me. Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone in feeling both thrilled and petrified as I do this.

carrdwight

Registered
Jeff K's post really rings true for me. After working through years of piles which collected themselves without any particular receptacle or In-box/place, and then processing and organizing all of it, I was left in a semi state of shock. It was truly the most exhilarating, terrifying and then debilitating experience I have ever been through. Having to finally face myself and my plans/goals/desires/responsibilities and having them all staring at me totally blindsided me. I was literally unable to “do” for months.

Dwight...

A

AMS

I know this isn't the point (probably), but I've also found that writing things down makes it easier for me to make a decision NOT to do them...if for some reason I've become uninterested in something I thought I would want or need to do, it somehow seems more legit to delete it after reviewing it several times than it would to dismiss it out of hand. That's a big stress reliever. That's in addition to all of the other stuff other folks said.