Wunderlist 2 as GTD software

silvine

Registered
Does anyone here use Wunderlist 2 on iOS, Android or on a Desktop? If so can they let me know how they've set it up and what their impressions of it are like?=.

mcogilvie

Registered
I've set it up for GTD, but don't currently use it because there's no good way to use Siri with it. I use a fairly simple implementation now that can be used with Things, Omnifocus, Wunderlist, Toodledo and others. I have a preferred order for my lists, with contexts first and project list, waiting for, tickler and someday/maybe following. I use the tickler list for start dates if the list tool doesn't support them, as is the case with Wunderlist. I use the star as an indication of priority/focus/intention but of course it's good not to go overboard with that. This is a very fast, simple implementation that gets out of your way.

Bertie..

Registered
I've been using wunderlist as my GTD tool for a long time now, 2yrs+ maybe?

I've set up the following lists (in this order):

50k - purpose
40k - vision
30k - goals
20k - AoF
10k - Projects
@Agendas
@Anywhere
@Computer
@Contact
@Errands
etc
Someday/Maybe
Tickled Reminders

you get the picture, pretty standard format really. I set a due date for things that need to be done urgently (ie.today) or on tickled reminders. I use the star for things I consider Important. If you're familiar with Covey's Urgency/Imprtance matrix, then this allows me to overlap this with my GTD structure.

It doesnt link Projects to Next Actions, but I use my weekly review to ensure things are working smoothly.

I have three things I wish they'd sort:

1 - I can't schedule recurring tasks for weekdays only
2 - you can't access the web version from 'older browsers' meaning I can't access it from my work computer (but have it on my phone and ipad anyway)
3 - There's no easy way to "delete all" completed tasks, so once a week I go in an manually remove them.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, if you have any questions, give me a shout.

silvine

Registered
How do you represent the below in Wunderlist? It's more suited to lists than these kind of detailed statements

50k - purpose
40k - vision
30k - goals
20k - AoF

mcogilvie

Registered
silvine;106776 said:
How do you represent the below in Wunderlist? It's more suited to lists than these kind of detailed statements

50k - purpose
40k - vision
30k - goals
20k - AoF

You don't have to put those in the same list tool that you put your next actions in. You could use a text document or a mindmap. I'm personally ok with a simple list, not long paragraphs.

oliver_r

Registered
If I remember correctly, Wunderlist also has a section for Notes. Wouldn't that be a perfect place for those?

moosie74

Registered
silvine;106776 said:

50k - purpose
40k - vision
30k - goals
20k - AoF

Wunderlist is great for making lists with sub tasks and notes about those tasks. You can easily create one of these areas and then lists all your tasks or future ideas about them within the app.

It is extremely portable and over a number of platforms

SteelcaseGTDr

Bob Hendriksen
Love Wunderlist for GTD

Thanks for getting this going about GTD and Wunderlist. I have been a GTD enthusiast for several years and came across WL about 1.5 years ago, while searching "what's the best GTD App" when I finally picked up an iPad.
I love how it syncs with my Windows laptop and both my IOS devices. I keep going back to what David says: Use the simplest tool that gets the job done. I've tried several others and this one is best in my opinion (and in the opinion of several others in our company who now use it for their own systems).
As far as your question, I just have one list within Wunderlist called "Horizons of Focus P,V,G,R" because this list only takes me down to 20k ft level (obviously). I skim it during my Weekly Review and do quarterly deep dives which are scheduled on my calendar. As far as how much to put in there, yes you could go on and on in the notes section. However, I have trouble just looking at those items, so my recommendation would be to keep "sharpening the pencil" on your statements. Mine are all one liner's (but I do have a handful of separate items within each level except for 50K which just has my one Purpose statement). Hope this is making sense. Thanks for exploring Wunderlist. Love to hear of others using it for GTD, because I don't think it gets nearly the credit it deserves.