Yet another discussion of GTD apps for Android.

jrdouce

Registered
There are so many apps available, many with impressive lists of features, but I still can't find any as simple and effective as those that came with my old PalmIII. Granted, I want a web interface now rather than a client desktop, but the function is the same. To me, the biggest need is to be quick and simple to use. I started with a Time Design binder after taking the pre-GTD program. I eventually moved to a Palm III, which I still find to be the best apps. I decided to put together a combination wish list rant.

Please feel free to recommend apps, confirm my requirements or simply ignore this long ramble. Thanks.

All apps need both a mobile interface and a web interface. A big screen and full keyboard + mouse are still easier and faster to use, especially sitting at a desk all day. A mobile app is a must so you I take (and edit) my system anywhere, any time.

Task List:
Simple, easy to read, fewest clicks possible to read or add or edit tasks.
Must be able to add all information easily when entering or editing a task. All I need is Task Name, Task Description and Context fields or tags that are easy to add or filter by (due date is a plus, but I can live without). Any other attributes are a OK, as long as they don't get in the way.

Palm was the best (PalmIII - Tungsten-E). So simple to use, select the Context and read or type. Also, I've never seen anything else with the ability to lookup a contact and insert the phone number or email while entering a task. Brilliant!

I've tried several Android task apps and haven't found a fully satisfying one yet.
Astrid(android) is too difficult to enter a task to a new context, Shuffle is good, but the sync to Tracks:gtdify is iffy, and gtdify is still rough around the edges and the screen too busy. The biggest issue with Tracks:gtdify, is that the page has to refresh everytime I click a context. At least RTM has all the data preloaded (it's just text, after all), so moving between context lists is really quick and simple.

Remember the Milk has a great Android app. Readingreviewing task lists on the web is great, but for adding or editing a task, the web app is a study in poor interface workflow. It ridiculous to have to enter a task, find and select the task from the list, then go through several steps to add different attributes - including the context. I'm moving forward with RTM for now, since I paid for it and I like the Android app.

Notes:
Again, simplicity is the key. Few clicks to read, edit or create. Needs title, body and context. More is fine as long as it doesn't get in the way.
The SimpleNote has contexts, using tags, but none of the compatible Android apps support tags, otherwize it would be perfect. I've tried Evernote a few times. It's decent, but too many click required to read existing notes on both Android and web. I may still go back to it because I need the contexts pn the phone, but I'd rather see the notes on line as a list of titles, it's much harder to review a page full of note icons.

Contacts:
Simple, easy to read, few clicks to read, edit or add an item.
I can't get a clear view of the address in the search people app (I think that's an HTC app), and there is no contact manager in the Gmail app. I need to be able to see a complete mailing address at times and I want to be able to update contact information on my phone, when I'm getting it.
I just downloaded Phonebook 2.0, and so far I like it. It can trigger email, SMS, or phone call from the app. It can view a business card style screen or display the activity history for the selected contact. This has potential to become my main communication app.

Calendar:
I am very Happy with Google cal. I like the Android app is fine for Google Calendar.
I sync my work Outlook to a secondary Google account and display that account on my main calendar. I've granted admin privileges to my main account, so I can still create work appointments while logged in as myself. If only Google put this much though into their Tasks list.

burnayev

Registered
For GTD on Android and Web you are welcome to check out ActionComplete.

It's integrated with your Google Contacts.

AC for Web Pro ($19.99/year) visually integrated with your Google calendar.

Several video tutorials are available at actioncomplete.com/web and actioncomplete.com/android.

Kind regards,
Borys Burnayev
actioncomplete.com
GTD for Android and Web

agifford

Registered
I use gtdify with shuffle. It is not perfect but is fine for my needs now. I agree the web interface can be a little sluggish at times, and a pc app my make it feel more responsive. There have been a couple of outages recently and so I looked in some other Android options. Remember the milk you have mentioned and toodledo with gottodo on Android is another. I am looking to try toodledo out in the next few weeks.

I am interested to hear how you get on

clango

Registered
jrdouce;83334 said:
Please feel free to recommend apps
I've tried several Android task apps and haven't found a fully satisfying one yet.
Astrid(android) is too difficult to enter a task to a new context, Shuffle is good, but the sync to Tracks:gtdify is iffy, and gtdify is still rough around the edges and the screen too busy. The biggest issue with Tracks:gtdify, is that the page has to refresh everytime I click a context. At least RTM has all the data preloaded (it's just text, after all), so moving between context lists is really quick and simple.

Remember the Milk has a great Android app. Readingreviewing task lists on the web is great, but for adding or editing a task, the web app is a study in poor interface workflow. It ridiculous to have to enter a task, find and select the task from the list, then go through several steps to add different attributes - including the context. I'm moving forward with RTM for now, since I paid for it and I like the Android app.

I use the couple Got to Do and Toodledo on my HTC and I feel fully satisfied, above all in term of velocity to capture my stuff

ArmstrC

Registered
Android Apps

Hi All

As a useful introduction, I use Thinking Space Pro for mindmapping on my Galaxy Tab and it's extremely cool to use.

You can get it for free also and the upgrade isn't too expensive if you want some extra features for exporting etc.

Overall a cool app and well worth spending some time trying.

PeterW

Registered
Toodledo will do what you want in terms of fields required - it has lots more fields but you can simply turn them off and just use the ones you want.

It has a straightforward tabbed interface so you can view tasks by context, tag, due date, etc. It has good sort and filter features and you can also create saved searches (which become your own custom tabs). Toodledo has a good community and an active developer.

Toodledo also has an iPhone app and there are two or three other third part iPhone apps that work nicely with it. They don't have their own Android app although there are about 3 third part apps that work with the website.

TexasEx94

Registered
clango;83366 said:
I use the couple Got to Do and Toodledo on my HTC and I feel fully satisfied, above all in term of velocity to capture my stuff

Same here. While in the office I use Toodledo. While on the road, my HTC is always available.

Gabriel

Registered
Goals to Do

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to GTD but I think now I'm addicted to it!!!! I recently finished reading Getting Things Done and downloaded the app Goals to Do for Droid...It looks pretty complete imo and it has a "control panel" look and feel that further reinforces the methodology,

Thanks David!

apastuszak

Registered
GTD and Droid

The way you feel about the Palm III is exactly the way I feel about my Newton. It was a great PDA with really good handwriting recognition.

I currenlty have a Motorola Droid and am making use of Got To Do.

I think my favorite ToDo list on Android is Astrid, but the preferred backend at the point is Producteev, a web app I am not too fond of. I have dabbled with Remember The Milk, which has it's own Android app, a web interface and also a desktop tool to sync with Outlook.

bblackmon

Registered
Anyone using Touchdown?

I'm using this in trial mode. Tasks sync from Outlook includes categories. Seems ok. Anyone else using?

BB

dagalbraith

Registered
Anybody Using Springpad

Just beginning to use SpringPad which seems pretty useful. A bit confusing initially but is showing up to have pretty good workflow. Available on nearly all devices as well as as a Chrome App...makes for great access. :D

tawaters

Registered
Touchdown

bblackmon;85617 said:
I'm using this in trial mode. Tasks sync from Outlook includes categories. Seems ok. Anyone else using?

BB

Yes, I use Outlook as my primary GTD tool and have been trying out TouchDown as well. So far I've been very happy with it.

Tom

amylindberg

Registered
GOALS TO DO: An APP in the DROID Marketplace?

Gabriel;85487 said:
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to GTD but I think now I'm addicted to it!!!! I recently finished reading Getting Things Done and downloaded the app Goals to Do for Droid...It looks pretty complete imo and it has a "control panel" look and feel that further reinforces the methodology,

Thanks David!

I'm a newbee, too, Gabriel and addicted /restless until I get my Trusted System (back) in place with DROIDism. I want to drop MSOUTLOOK for Google Calendar (the entire family stepped into Droids with full data plans and we want to maximize this), but need Task List Manager that can work GTD philosophy.
Does GOALSTODO exist in Droid Marketplace and link to the Google Calendar System (wouldn't that be nice)? If not, does anyone know of a TASK LIST MANAGER for DROID that will work with a DROID CALENDAR nicely, like MSOUTLOOK did for my PC and PALM TREO (those were the days...).:confused:

jrdouce

Registered
I've pretty much settled on Remember the Milk, for now. It's not perfect, but I has the functionality I require on-line and the Android app is great. I'm liking SimpleNote for lists, the apps are limited to poor, but Flick Note for Android is serviceable - and I'm notified of local singles looking to chat :D

I'd love to move to GoogleTasks, since I'm hooked on their calendar, but the little task window in the corner of Gmail is pretty weak. I really like being able to open a task page to review and edit my tasks.

What are some good Google Tasks apps for the droid?

fanlynne

Registered
I have 8 NA's in my @Computer. One is approx 5 min, three 10 min, two 15 min and two 30 min. When you use Context,Time,Energy,Priority concept how do you choose NA's to act on now? Let's say you have 45 min till the next hard landscape action. What would you choose: one big action or a few small?

jarvek7

Registered
dagalbraith;85633 said:
Just beginning to use SpringPad which seems pretty useful. A bit confusing initially but is showing up to have pretty good workflow. Available on nearly all devices as well as as a Chrome App...makes for great access. :D

after seeing you mention Springpad here I checked it out... i use it now and it replaced four apps i was using for various things. I give it two thumbs up... so far so good.

jrdouce

Registered
fanlynne;87030 said:
I have 8 NA's in my @Computer. One is approx 5 min, three 10 min, two 15 min and two 30 min. When you use Context,Time,Energy,Priority concept how do you choose NA's to act on now? Let's say you have 45 min till the next hard landscape action. What would you choose: one big action or a few small?

I'm reaching back here, but you should be able to do anything on your @Computer list when your at the computer. It's up to you to start from the top and make a decision whether you have time for that action or not. When I last took the seminar and read the book, DA wasn't big on priority, everything on your list is supposed to be something you are committed to completing. In my work, others set many of my priorities, so I do prioritize my lists; no priority for most things, medium for anything I need to do rather than want to do. That way, anything urgent floats to the top and get considered first.

As for choosing one big action or a few small, that's your call. What's more important, or more satisfying to have completed now?

PaulK

Registered
This has to be an intuitive choice at the time. In my work, where interruption is likely, I would probably not start a 30 minute next action with only 45 minutes to the next calendar entry, but knock over a couple of 10 minute actions if possible. However, if the 30 minute action grabbed my attention, it might be the one I would start (and toss in the inbox when the inevitable interruption arrives :))