Beyond the Basics Series - Part Three recording is available

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi GTD Connect members,

We have posted the recording of Part Three in the Beyond the Basics series for you.

In this new three-part series, Meg and Kelly will lead you beyond the basics into the more advanced moves for 12 key milestones of accomplishment with the GTD methodology. Part Three included these topics:
Inbox Zero
Weekly Review
Natural Planning Model
Horizons of Focus

Video
https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/video.php?titleid=773&trackid=1399

Audio
https://gtdconnect.com/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=772&trackid=1398

And of course it's available through your GTD Connect Members-Only podcast subscription.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Just viewed Part III. I so enjoyed this. The Kelly & Meg show is absolutely delightful!! I have learned a lot through this 3-part series. I could listen to Kelly & Meg all of the time. I cannot overemphasize how outstanding this series was -- engaging and so very helpful. CHEERS!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Just viewed Part III. I so enjoyed this. The Kelly & Meg show is absolutely delightful!! I have learned a lot through this 3-part series. I could listen to Kelly & Meg all of the time. I cannot overemphasize how outstanding this series was -- engaging and so very helpful. CHEERS!

Thank you Longstreet! This was one of my favorite series we've done. So glad you got value!

KNielsen

Registered
Yeah, great intellectual and educational endavour! Liked it very much.!

I don't know if this is the place for at follow-up question for the Natural Planning Model (NPM), but I try anyway to all that might have some experience to share.

I have found the NPM most efficient for getting more creative or more actionable, when I use it alone, for the pure reason of having only myself to agree on meta-stuff with. :D - however the more people, the more ideas and perspectives I must admit! ;)
=> often I find that the process during the NPM, tends to go to a meta-level of discussions, when we reach the second level; the vision/outcome statement (also some of the others, but they are easier to handle and to me mostly is a matter of the facilitating/leadership dicipline). I.e. where the process of planning with the help of the model wanders into discussing the model and definitions/boundaries.

Do you have some guidelines, tips or rules on how you handle a team or group to focus on having defined the vision-statement(s) before being wirled in to a brainstorm or racing directly down to organizing or a next action?

(e.g. a group of young scouts have been given a purpose: >>Plan and execute a community project that engage people<< and have briefly been introduced to the NPM and given the task to take on the prupose and take it further. But then after some dicussion some might say: "Yeah, great idea with welcoming refugees. We could maybe do some activities in the nature, I will just look where the nearest forests are and good spots .. (or) .. yeah, we could maybe get the mayor to open and the local newspaper to cover it" ... or "I'll just look up politicians and companies around".. )

One could argue, that the vision statement could be "Refugees have been welcomed to the community" and then move on .. you could also say that the vision should include "with activities in the nature".

How would you approach such kind of situation?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
How would you approach such kind of situation?

Great question! The vision statement can get as detailed as you want. Especially if you try to write it in a way like we describe on the webinar of writing a paragraph that includes what happened, how did it happen, who was involved. It's fine if some of that is repetition to what will also be captured in the other steps.

KNielsen

Registered
Yeah, okay great to hear!

what happened, how did it happen, who was involved
Yes! I found it a very powerful statement, when you read it like that!

So it might also depend on how much "energy" there is in formulating the vision and when there is a feeling on a "complete" vision in order to move on - both if I do it myself or it's a group exercise - when it comes to how long to work on the vision statement? .. and then maybe going up or down the NPM-"ladder" depending on the needs afterwards?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Yeah, okay great to hear!

Yes! I found it a very powerful statement, when you read it like that!

So it might also depend on how much "energy" there is in formulating the vision and when there is a feeling on a "complete" vision in order to move on - both if I do it myself or it's a group exercise - when it comes to how long to work on the vision statement? .. and then maybe going up or down the NPM-"ladder" depending on the needs afterwards?

Yes! You're on it.