Inbox too many items so process is too time-consuming

Richard Shane

Registered
Hello,

My inbox is a digital voice recorder, which is almost always in my pocket. Each morning, I listen to recording from previous day and put everything where it belongs. From this, I am very effective in my work and personal life.

I use the DVR inbox for major items like talking into it when I have inspired thoughts I want to write for my work. That’s wonderful because I’m recording it when I’m in a state of deep inspiration and from that, my writing is very good.

I use the DVR inbox for smaller items like reminders to call or email someone. And even smaller items like shopping list items.

The problem is each day I might have 50 items on my recorder, so the next morning process is too time-consuming. There are some small items I don’t record, but if I think of dropping more small items, I don’t like the feeling of then missing them.

Thank you for any thoughts about how to better manage this process so it’s not so time-consuming.

Thanks!

Richard

mcogilvie

Registered
If your DVR supports multiple serial streams of recordings, you might try separating small next actions from inspired soliloquies. Dump the small next actions out fast, then transcribe the longer material as a next action, not as processing your inbox.

Other than that possible improvement, I think you need better technology, the kind an iPhone or Android phone tries to provide. Basically, direct transcription onto next action lists, with transcription of long passages at about an 80%+ success rate. Here are a few sentences where an iPad did all the transcribing, in real time: this is a test of my iPads transcription system. As you can see it sometimes works pretty well.

treelike

Registered
I use a paper pad in a wallet holder which has an elastic hoop holding a small pencil. I have used a DVR in the past but the paper pad is so much faster to process (maybe because I have to decipher my mumbling). Other advantages include not having to worry about flat batteries, the ability to draw small pictures of an idea and you don't need to censor yourself if you get the idea amongst other people.
The problem is each day I might have 50 items on my recorder, so the next morning process is too time-consuming. There are some small items I don’t record, but if I think of dropping more small items, I don’t like the feeling of then missing them.
Don't miss out the little things or else they will demand more of your attention than they deserve.

Richard Shane

Registered
Hi, treelike. Thank you for your reply. I love my DVR. Never runs out of batteries because recharges each morning when I connect to computer. Also I can talk while driving. Your quote is very helpful. I know and live that idea, but great to have it as a quote.

Richard Shane

Registered
Mcogilvie,

I value your perspective and would like to say a bit more about how I use GTD with my DVR. However, some of that is personal and I do not want to post that on a public forum. Would you be willing for me to send you an email? If so, please email me at drshane@sleepeasily.com. Thank you much.

Richard

treelike

Registered
Hi, treelike. Thank you for your reply. I love my DVR. Never runs out of batteries because recharges each morning when I connect to computer. Also I can talk while driving. Your quote is very helpful. I know and live that idea, but great to have it as a quote.
I always like an opportunity to use a David Allen quote. If you love your DVR then that is the single best reason to use it as your inbox. I found it useful when I was caring for a needy baby that had to be held constantly and I did not physically have the use of two hands needed to hold a paper and pen.

One idea I did have was maybe you can play back your recordings at a faster speed since most of us are able to decipher speech more quickly than we can talk. This can be done on the computer or maybe your DVR has this capability. It is also possible to playback at a faster speed but without changing the pitch so that you don't sound like Mickey Mouse. Also some DVR's have settings that cut out any pauses between speech that occur when you're thinking about what to say.

Richard Shane

Registered
Hi Treelike,

It feels great that you are coming up with helpful idea. Yes, I playback at 120%, but I really appreciate you suggesting it.