20%'ers?

dal1mdm

Registered
I'm reading "The One Thing You Need to Know" (dont you wish there was only one thing?) by M Buckingham. He cites an interesting study that suggests 20% of people are really passionate and fully engaged in their work. Personally, I think that number is a bit inflated, but my wife happens to be one of those 20%. I was thinking of this last night as I listened to her describe her day at work.

It made me think that GTD is vital to the 20%, but for the rest of us its just a way to maintain sanity. I dont know how to do a poll on this site, but I am curious what you folks think about this idea.

Brent

Registered
I don't think that GTD alone will move you into the 20%. Getting into the 20% involves larger life decisions. GTD is more about organizing your life so that you have the mental space to be able to consider those larger life decisions.

P

ProfDD

dal1mdm said:
It made me think that GTD is vital to the 20%, but for the rest of us its just a way to maintain sanity. I dont know how to do a poll on this site, but I am curious what you folks think about this idea.

First, I think my sanity IS vital to me !

GTD seems like a tool that has the potential to allow you to move to the 20%. It is a great way to develop the confidence that you are "ready for anything". If you are ready for anything, you can contemplate big changes with less dread and even with hope and enthusiasm.

It has worked for me, admittedly with help from one other change, but also despite some adverse developments. I feel as if I could be in the 20%.

T

trishacupra

How sad so many people don't enjoy their work! :(

How horrible to spend so much of your life doing something you don't enjoy.

I absolutely love my work.

Please, if you're spending so much of your time doing something you're not passionate about, PLEASE look into changing careers or starting up your own business!

Life is way TOO SHORT not to. We're mere mortals.

With love,

Trisha Cupra
http://www.TrishaCupra.com

TesTeq

Registered
Easy to say.

trishacupra said:
How sad so many people don't enjoy their work! :(

How horrible to spend so much of your life doing something you don't enjoy.

I absolutely love my work.

Please, if you're spending so much of your time doing something you're not passionate about, PLEASE look into changing careers or starting up your own business!

Life is way TOO SHORT not to. We're mere mortals.

With love,

Trisha Cupra
http://www.TrishaCupra.com

It's easy to say but I do not think there is a big demand for a "professional TV watcher" kind of business. And watching TV (or alternatively playing video games) is the only passion for many people. What is your advice for them?

TesTeq

ceehjay

Registered
Welfare?

TesTeq said:
It's easy to say but I do not think there is a big demand for a "professional TV watcher" kind of business. And watching TV (or alternatively playing video games) is the only passion for many people. What is your advice for them?
Find a mate who is willing to work to support them while they watch or play.

Carolyn

TesTeq

Registered
New family model needed.

ceehjay said:
Find a mate who is willing to work to support them while they watch or play.

Carolyn

This solution assumes that less than 50% of people are "professional TV watchers" or "professional video gamers". I am afraid that it may not be true so some kind of polygamy or new family model is needed.

TesTeq

U

Unregistered

Work

Its a blessing to do work you love. Not everyone can afford to. "Do what you love the money will follow" sounds great (kinda like "The One Thing You Need to Know"), but its not reality. I think that much of success is learning to do what you'd rather not. Frankly, I'd rather go to the beach than try to figure out how to move the sale forward with my biggest client. Planning and scheming is just not near as much fun.

Life is short, which is why you better find an income that will sustain your lifestyle quickly. If its something you love - great.

kewms

Registered
Lots of people scoff at the whole "What Color is Your Parachute"/"Do What You Love" concept. But have you ever tried it? I mean seriously sat down and tried to figure out what work you love and how to get paid for it?

It's an extremely valuable exercise. In some cases, it might point you to a radical career change, but it's just as likely to simply show you how to refine the work you're already doing to reduce the parts you don't like and add more of the parts you do like. It can also help you appreciate what you're doing, for example by showing you that you'd be bored out of your skull within a week if you actually got that job as a video game tester or beachcomber that you think you want.

Katherine

TesTeq

Registered
Move your sail instead of sale!

Unregistered said:
Its a blessing to do work you love. Not everyone can afford to. "Do what you love the money will follow" sounds great (kinda like "The One Thing You Need to Know"), but its not reality. I think that much of success is learning to do what you'd rather not. Frankly, I'd rather go to the beach than try to figure out how to move the sale forward with my biggest client. Planning and scheming is just not near as much fun.

Life is short, which is why you better find an income that will sustain your lifestyle quickly. If its something you love - great.

:) I'd rather go to the beach than try to figure out how to move the sail forward !

TesTeq

P

ProfDD

Accept SOME Reality

If you can be inclusive in listing the things you love, you are more likely to find something that pays in the list.

The rule does not say "Do ANYTHING you love and the money will follow."

T

trishacupra

If the only thing you can be passionate about is watching TV, then I'd recommend therapy. Or a job at a TV station. :)

TesTeq

Registered
Professional TV watchers.

trishacupra said:
If the only thing you can be passionate about is watching TV, then I'd recommend therapy. Or a job at a TV station. :)

1) Are there enough TV stations in Australia to employ all "professional TV watchers"? I do not think so.

2) You said that everybody should do what he is passionate about. Now you say that some people should go to therapist. It is not very consistent.

TesTeq

Arduinna

Registered
I don't know why someone who watches TV all day would necessarily need to see a therapist. If someone reads books all day, would we advise him to seek mental help? No, we'd suggest he turn his love of literature or the printed word into a paid pastime, by writing, or teaching, or reviewing, etc. While a "professional TV watcher" might be indulging in escapism, he might also be demonstrating a deep fascination with a deeply fascinating medium. Why not suggest professions that use that interest, like reviewing TV shows for publication, teaching media studies, becoming a cultural historian, or even working as a censor? Political campaigns do a huge amount of media monitoring during election season; they'd appreciate attentive viewers to help track coverage. TV doesn't watch itself!

carrdwight

Registered
The original post stated that the poster's wife was in the 20% that enjoyed their jobs, and then I noted that my wife liked her work and in the thread that usernames of those that enjoyed their work seemed to be female sounding names and then I looked around my workplace and the females all seemed to be enjoying their work while most of the males seemed to be suffering.

I guess that's just one of them things that make ya go Hmmmm.....

Dwight....

TesTeq

Registered
Women can stand more drudgery.

In my opinion - on average - women can stand more drudgery than men.
TesTeq

dal1mdm

Registered
Women and Drudgery

Of course the 20%ers dont see their work as drudgery...

Its a mystery to me - the motivation thing. I cant imagine what drivers people to work so hard. But I am interested. What makes them push so hard?

kewms

Registered
dal1mdm said:
Of course the 20%ers dont see their work as drudgery...

Its a mystery to me - the motivation thing. I cant imagine what drivers people to work so hard. But I am interested. What makes them push so hard?

Work that you enjoy pulls you. If you're being pulled, there's no need to push.

Katherine