21st Century meditation

severance1970

Registered
Recently I've noticed that whenever I do a thorough Weekly Review, without cutting corners, there comes a point where the tension starts to slowly drain from my body, my breathing becomes deeper, and my mind is more clearly focused on the present moment. As that moment emerges, I intuitively know that my WR is done.

For much of the week remaining, the sensation of relief remains. Interruptions are different than disturbances -- they don't reverberate afterward, and it's easier to recover my focus and get "back to ready." Once a WR is complete, I can spend the rest of the week punching off checklists instead of constantly rethinking what I need to be getting done.

So recently I've started of thinking of the WR as a modern form of meditation for an information intensive age, rather than traditional forms of meditation for which a "simplified" lifestyle is more conducive (e.g. being a monk). Has anyone else felt the same physical/emotional sensation after a Weekly Review?

P

pjuhl

Re: 21st Century meditation

Gameboy70 said:
Recently I've noticed that whenever I do a thorough Weekly Review, without cutting corners, there comes a point where the tension starts to slowly drain from my body, my breathing becomes deeper, and my mind is more clearly focused on the present moment. As that moment emerges, I intuitively know that my WR is done......

I do have the same feeling, on the rare occations I do a real WR, however most often I do little ones during the week.

My question to you is; Do you do a WR both at home and at work, and do you get the same sensation?

Regards
Peter

severance1970

Registered
I've never done one at work, which is odd in retrospect because that's the way it's recommended in the GTD book. I do mine Sunday mornings a cafe. Now that you've brought it up, I'm going to try it this Saturday (I work Monday through Saturday), when I can knock more off of my revised lists. The weekdays are too busy to bracket away 1 to 2 hours for myself. Any there's also the feeling that if I'm doing a WR in the midst of potential distractions, I won't get absolutely everything out of my head.

I probably need to do a WR at home even more than at the office. Working off my @home list is much slower than all the others for some reason.

I'm going to experiment for the next few weeks and see how the experience and the results change with context: this week at work, next week at home, etc.

Getting back to the "meditation" aspect of my original post, the cafe seems more conducive to Weekly Reviews because it gives me a window of time afterward to experience the increased clarity of mind that results from a thorough intellectual catharsis. I'm not sure if that would happen if I plunged straight back into work. This is definitely something to test.