60 forum tabs open, and counting

Jon12345

Registered
I would like to discuss the issue of multiple forum tabs being open. Do you find you have loads of forum tabs open at any one time, slowing your PC to a crawl? Why does this happen?

Let me give you an example: in one forum, I have 5 threads I have participated in and following, waiting for the next messages and also using it as reference. That is 5 tabs open.

Others can be windows showing stats that I keep refreshing. Others are books I may want to buy.

Why does this happen? Does it happen to you? What is your solution?

Thanks,

Jon

mickmel

Registered
I tend to keep a lot of tabs open, but you can certainly cut down on those:

1 -- Subscribe to the threads you're interested in and only worry about them when replies come in. That's what I'll do with this thread -- reply/subscribe, then close the window. When you or someone else replies, I'll get an email and open it back up.

2 -- I don't understand the book tabs. Read the content and deal with them. Buy the book, decide not to buy the book, or else add it to a "books I want to buy later" list. There's no reason to keep the tab open all the time.

Candid

Registered
I am not a programmer, but I certainly know that each web page you have open is almost like a separate instance of your web browser running. You can see this if you are in Windows by opening the Task Manager and looking at the process tab.

The solution is simple, stop having tabs open all the time. Close them when you are done working with them. Almost all of your instances can be replaced with methods that use less of your computer's resources.

As Jon indicates, you need to learn to subscribe to threads in forums you participate in and have an email sent to you when someone responds to the thread. Or just go daily and check forums you are watching. Most forums have a way for you to mark all threads read, this will help you to see which threads have new material since your last visit.

For other things like books you might be interested in reading, you'll need to decide how to keep track of them. You could have a someday/maybe list of books you might like to read. I do something more simple, and put any book I'm interested in on my Amazon wish list.Since I mostly buy through Amazon this is an effective tool for me.

shane_k

Registered
no, this doesn''t happen for me.

I just decide I am going to check one forum and then go on that forum and spend like
5, 15, or 30 minutes on it depending on if there isn't anythig more important that I need to be doing. (I would never be on a forum while I am at work though.)

I don't understand why do you need to constantly have those forums open in tabs?

are you scared of missing out on something?

That just seems very unproductive to have them all open constantly and continously refreshing the pages and checking every few minutes to see any updates.

Maybe a good idea would be to setup a block of time say 1 hour. and only in that 1 hour are you allowed to check out forums. Outside of that 1 hour then you focus on other things.

Brad H

Registered
Another suggestion. Get a second web browser. To spread those tabs out.

In my opinion there needs to be some sort of website tickler program to keep track of all the links we want to come back to. But it doesn't seem to be invented yet.

http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthread.php?13819-Are-there-any-good-URL-tickler-programs

The slow computer is usually caused by one webpage slowing everything down. And maybe a different browser will handle many tabs better too.

cwoodgold

Registered
Gardener;102128 said:
I feel like I'm missing something. Why not use bookmarks?

For what purpose? That is, what problem do you think using bookmarks would solve?

I don't use bookmarks. What I do is open lots of tabs. When I want to go to another page, I look at one or two tabs, decide whether I want to overwrite them, and if so then use them again (leaving the previous page possibly accessible via the "back" button). Otherwise, I open a new tab. When I log off (e.g. at the end of the day) I close the browser, closing all the tabs. If I want to remember a url for a longer period of time I store it elsewhere, not in bookmarks.

I used bookmarks many years ago, but pretty much quit after browsers changed (so bookmarks didn't work the way I was used to) and all my bookmarks got lost (or transformed into just a list of urls, no longer bookmarks) at least once when switching to a different computer or browser or something.

Oh, OK, I do use homepage bookmarks -- the kind where you have a few icons of commonly-used pages always visible. Very convenient. I just don't bother using the kind of bookmark I usually think of as bookmarks. I also have my own homepage with a lot of convenient links, more permanent than a browser-specific list of bookmarks.

The purposes of the way I do it are: (1) If I want to keep a url for later reference another day, I do so, and (2) If I was using a url a very short time ago, I can (usually) very easily find it again in a tab.

For example, I may click on one of my homepage bookmarks, then half a minute later want to refer to the same page again and not want to even go to the trouble of finding the homepage bookmark again -- I just go back to the same tab!

It's like having a number of sheets of paper spread out on my desk. You could ask "why don't you use folders?" -- that would cover up the pages. I want them more easily accessible.

That's just how I do it, and the reasons. At another time I might be doing it some other way. There are other reasons. I'm not claiming my way is the best way or anything. It could be related to the way I use web pages, i.e. how often I want to look again at a page I was just looking at.

There's a more general principle at work here: for some things, the point in time at which I stop needing the thing available is a time when I'm not thinking about the thing. I rarely delete computer files, for example. Instead I put them into a directory where they'll be automatically deleted a few days later. That's because I'm much more likely to think of a use for something soon after I've been thinking about it, and actively deleting it would involve thinking about it. Browser tabs are similar.

Gardener

Registered
cwoodgold;102153 said:
For what purpose? That is, what problem do you think using bookmarks would solve?

I was thinking specifically of the original poster's problems - books that he might want to buy, forum threads that he's following, stats that he wants to refresh, and so on. Those seem like useful things to put in bookmarks - in part because a computer crash or even accidentally closing the browser means that he'd lose all of those things.

I use a lot of tabs, too, though those are often fed by bookmarks. For example, I follow five sub-forums on a sewing site, and I have bookmarks to all five in a bookmark folder. I can go to that bookmark folder in Safari, choose "Open in tabs", and all five forums open, each in a separate tab. I click through the tabs, reading the forums, and then shut the browser window.

Similarly, when i had three blogs I had a group of bookmarks for the stats and the feedburner stats for each blog. "Open in tabs" let me open all six, click through, and view them. The same for groups of bookmarks to various blogs.

Most of my bookmarks are valuable in the short to mid term, so it doesn't worry me that they might be lost if I change browsers.

I do use plenty of tabs when I'm just wandering around the web, opening new pages in a new tab, and clicking back to old tabs to have another look at something, as you describe.

But the original post seemed to suggest semi-permanently keeping tabs open even to the point where it slows down the browser, and that sort of semi-permanent placeholder seems like exactly what a bookmark is good for.

TesTeq

Registered
I always close the windows to stop the flies from getting in...

Here's what I do:

1. Everyday I log in to David Allen Company forums and click the "What's New in the Forums?" tab.

2. I browse a list of all threads that were updated from my last visit and open each interesting topic in new browser tab (threads that contain my own posts have a special icon with a white arrow on a green circle).

3. I browse/read new posts in each tab, post my comments and close the tab - done!

4. When all David Allen Company forums tabs are closed I log out.

I see no reason to keep anything open when I sleep!

I always close the windows to stop the flies from getting in...