99 items on next actions list across various contexts

lesliem

Registered
Hello Sean,

You might try putting some boundaries on your list and not allowing yourself to consider the entire list at one time. That may be counter intuitive, but looking at the entire list sounds like it's putting you in a corner. Depending on your energy, the "room" you have currently to choose, possibly limit yourself to choosing 3. Then of those 3 pick the one which has the most immediate impact on your daily (work) life or circumstance.

The reason I like only 3 choices to start is that inevitably there is only one which is absolutely critical, immediate and actionable. Maybe even 2 are vying for that spot, but your gut usually knows which one. Trust it. Then once you've 'exhaled' things start to loosen up. I have been in this state many times and often it's the mundane and boring stuff which needs our attention and action. Once that's addressed, the spirit seems to bounce back a bit and all of a sudden things get clearer.

OliverG

Registered
Can you give some examples in the contexts? If those are clearly separated you will not have to consider all lists.

E.g normally you will not be in the contexts
Office
Home
and
Errands
at the same time.

IF your list contexts are "messy" you might want to fix this first.

So say you are in the office.

Consider say max the first 5-10 tasks (they are all high prior, you say, so...) and check for the limiting factors:
- context
- time
- energy
If more than one task is left ask yourself:
Finishing which task would make me feel best?
Do that one.
Rinse and repeat.

You might have several lists you can work on in the office (like a calls list). So as soon as you did 3 from one list: switch.

The trick is to focus on one appropriate list, narrow down the decision and then go for whatever feels right.

I usually try to go top to bottom to not waste "decision energy". After all they should be all " next actions".

Regarding the tips above: re-reading the book (or reading the two others) also helped me getting the method clearer.

Last edited:

Castanea_d.

Registered
I like and agree with what others have said here. Having a good set of "contexts" is important and narrows down the list of things to consider at any given time. I find it important to look at every one of the pending actions in the weekly review; that keeps them all enough in mind so that through the following week I know there isn't something lurking in a corner that I should be doing but am not remembering. That helps a lot.

I try to stay calm about having lots of things on the list as possible Next Actions - it is well over 100 for me. I am learning that it is not a burden, because I can only do one of them at a time. I will never get them all done, but I will be doing the ones that matter the most. Once I have narrowed it down by context/location, time available (is it a ten-minute job, or something that is better if I can work a couple of hours on it?), energy available, and priority, it is usually just a half-dozen or so things. If one of them really catches at my mind as "I should do this right now instead of that," I trust the hunch and go with it. If not, I will often just start at the top of the list, as Oliver said above.