A handy tip for Outlook users

wordsofwonder

Registered
In this thread, jpm mentioned speed keys as being a good productivity enhancer. Since I'm a command-line sort of girl anyway, I did a little digging tonight. Though many of you might already know this, I found something useful that I thought I'd share.

To create a keyboard sequence that creates, from any Windows application, a new task in Outlook, do the following:

1. Right click on the desktop, and pick New > Shortcut
  2. Type in the path to Outlook. For Outlook 2003, this is C:program FilesMicrosoftOffice 11Outlook.exe.
  3. Name the shortcut something like "New Task" and click Finish.
  4. Right-click on the shortcut you just created, and choose Properties.
  5. To the end of the Target box, add the following: /c ipm.task (including the space before the /c). Your Target should now read something like this: "C:program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11OUTLOOK.EXE" /c ipm.task.
  6. Click in the Shortcut Key box, and type a shortcut key. Combinations using Ctrl+Alt+some letter are usually good. (I used Ctrl-Alt-A).
  7. Click the OK button.

The shortcut should work whether or not Outlook is running; if Outlook is closed when you type the key, it should launch before the new task window appears.

You can define shortcuts to other kinds of Outlook items by following the above process, replacing "ipm.task" with one of the following:

• ipm.appointment (creates a new calendar/HardLandscape item)
  • ipm.note (creates a new e-mail message)
  • ipm.stickynote (creates a new note)
  • ipm.journal (creates a new journal entry)

Anyway, since I spent the time learning how to do this, I figured I'd share.

-- Tammy

K

kermalou

i use this software called Slickrun and it's extremely handy. http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/

u just go "windows key + q" and slickrun pops up and then type in whatever you want.

from this website, i programmed it so that i type in "nt" and a new task popus up. very very handy. http://jeff.donnici.com/PermaLink,guid,fb9c8f8b-337b-4838-9eeb-5968b3edb955.aspx

For example, I use the heck out of Bayden SlickRun12 on my machine. As quick-launch utilities go, it’s by far my favorite. It’s lightweight, takes very little system resources, and can be configured to perform a variety of creative tasks. Some of the GTD-related shortcuts I use include:

* nm – To create a new message. This shortcut simply calls outlook.exe with “/c ipm.note” as a command line parameter. Even with Outlook minimized, this will open a new message window.
* nt – Probably the most used shortcut, this creates a new task by passing “/c ipm.task” to the command line.
* na – Creates a new appointment with “/c ipm.appointment”.
* nc – Creates a new contact with “/c ipm.contact”.
* nn – Creates a new note with “/c ipm.stickynote”.

ext555

Registered
wordsofwonder said:
To create a keyboard sequence that creates, from any Windows application, a new task in Outlook, do the following:...................

You can define shortcuts to other kinds of Outlook items by following the above process, replacing "ipm.task" with one of the following:

• ipm.appointment (creates a new calendar/HardLandscape item)
  • ipm.note (creates a new e-mail message)
  • ipm.stickynote (creates a new note)
  • ipm.journal (creates a new journal entry)

-- Tammy

THANKS TAMMY THAT WAS VERY HELPFUL !