A silly question from one GTD rookie

Oogiem

Registered
Number of inputs a day

I believe it's supposed to be a rough estimate of the number of inputs a day for most folks. It's not at all accurate for me but I think that is what it is.

Juls550

Registered
350 inputs /16 available hours in a day = 21.87 input/hour

You mean 21 inputs each of the 16 available hours in a day ? ... what kind of work is this ? one single call-center maniac ? :(

To process those 350 daily inputs :

( 350 inputs x 25 sec to process each ) / ( 60 x 60 ) = 2.4 hours

More than two hours a day processing in-box ?

... seems hard to believe.

nerd759

Registered
Thoughts

It is estimated we have around 50,000 thoughts per day. Inputs would be when you see something and think 'I really should fix that'......
I'm sure I had way more than 400 per day before doing GTD, now not so much.

Juls550

Registered
So that, based on this estimate, and given that in-box has to be emptied daily ... really this system implies from 2 to 3 hours by day procesing things ?

:shock: Is this feasible ?
:shock: That means 300 - 400 annotations by day ?
:confused: What part of the book do I have to review ? all of it ?

PS
without mentioning the less-than-2-min things...

clango

Registered
another silly question

Juls550;73928 said:
:shock: Is this feasible ?
:shock: That means 300 - 400 annotations by day ?
:confused: What part of the book do I have to review ? all of it ?

without mentioning the less-than-2-min things...

Are you looking for the numbers or the process?

I ask to orientate in a different way the answers, if possible!:)

Juls550

Registered
clango;73929 said:
Are you looking for the numbers or the process?

I ask to orientate in a different way the answers, if possible!:)

In my initial approach to GTD, I learned how important is to visualize the outcome. Now I am asking myself If really I am willing to initiate a process which can carry me to end up spending from 2 to 3 hours by day processing things.

It is my way to try to understand the philosophy which is under this system. I don´t want to criticize anything, just to learn by conversation with experienced users.

Sorry if my scarce english language should caused some misunderstanding.

TesTeq

Registered
Processing inputs.

Juls550;73926 said:
350 inputs /16 available hours in a day = 21.87 input/hour

You mean 21 inputs each of the 16 available hours in a day ?

Why 16 hours only? Sleep less to process less than 20 inputs per hour. :)

Juls550;73926 said:
To process those 350 daily inputs :

( 350 inputs x 25 sec to process each ) / ( 60 x 60 ) = 2.4 hours

More than two hours a day processing in-box ?

There is a very useful "DEL" key on my keyboard. I use it to process many inputs in less than 2 seconds.

clango

Registered
Good luck

Juls550;73932 said:
the outcome.
Great learning!

Juls550;73932 said:
Now I am asking myself If really I am willing to initiate a process which can carry me to end up spending from 2 to 3 hours by day processing things.
I think this kind of approach could be full of risk. I think every people who use this system, and wrote here, had benefits by GTD. So base your evaluation on your situation. Try it and you'll see.

I'll add only if you think that has a certain value for you to have more focus on what you really like to do...every day...week...year...your life...

I wish you all the best and here, I think you can find friends that can help you but I think you have to convince yourself alone

adepijper

Registered
Opportunities

I see processing as a way to deal with all the new opportunities that come up each day.

Whether that is dealing with email (in my case 100+ each day), conversations with people (at home and at work), or more ad-hoc situations (for example: the battery in my remote died...), they all need to be reviewed to make sure that they get the appropriote attention.

Hope this helps.

Juls550

Registered
Thank you for all your insights. After them I made a search in the forum looking for messages with "processing" and "time", in Titles only.

There I found 6 interesting threads that I want to study, any more experiences of this type will be wellcome !! :p

sdann

Registered
Initially I laughed because there are some funny posts in here, but I really think that there may be that many inputs. I get so many emails, calls, standard mail, reading stuff I process, websites I visit, people I talk to, a refrigerator shelf that suddenly looks dirty etc. There are also new inputs when I complete next actions. It doesn't mean I take those all into my system. Honestly I don't spend that much time processing my inbox daily, but I do spend quite a bit of time defining work in the form of project planning.

kewms

Registered
Juls550;73932 said:
In my initial approach to GTD, I learned how important is to visualize the outcome. Now I am asking myself If really I am willing to initiate a process which can carry me to end up spending from 2 to 3 hours by day processing things.

Except all that stuff is already there whether you use GTD or not, whether you process it or not.

Say you get 100+ emails a day and *don't* process them. Then what? At the end of the week you have 700 emails. Maybe the time spent to process them would have been a good investment, huh?

Most inbox processing is stuff that you do at some level already. GTD just makes it systematic, and ultimately less time-consuming than it was before.

Katherine

Juls550

Registered
The new "less-than-2-sec." rule, of TesTeq

Perhaps GTD is good precisely because it reflects pretty well the sad reality that has brought to us the information era : millions of people, all over the world, spending lot of time trying to find the center of his lifes in the middle of the huge and growing noise that i-communications are causing.

I hope that next generation will learn to cope this new environment in a more natural way, meanwhile I will try that GTD help me to discriminate all the inputs to-be-erased that comes to me disguised of important things.

:) Close to the "less-than-2-min." rule I will keep this new "less-than-2-sec." rule explained above by TesTeq.

clango

Registered
a complementary point of view

Juls550;73950 said:
Perhaps GTD is good precisely because it reflects pretty well the sad reality that has brought to us the information era : millions of people, all over the world, spending lot of time trying to find the center of his lifes in the middle of the huge and growing noise that i-communications are causing.

I hope that next generation will learn to cope this new environment in a more natural way, meanwhile I will try that GTD help me to discriminate all the inputs to-be-erased that comes to me disguised of important things.

It seem to me that there is something to clarify further.
I think GTD is a system to help us, where we are, and to give us more opportunity to think more in deep to what is really important for us more than only help to handle what the i-communication push toward us.

So the system can help us to select what's really important for us, right now, keeping a space to think to the future, to act to develop the world where we live in the direction we think as the best one

ellobogrande

Registered
Average processing time

In his workflow seminar that I watched DA mentioned that most people will need to spend 30 to 90 minutes a day processing his/her in-baskets depending on how many inputs show up in them during the average day. For those new to GTD the average daily processing time is usually higher because the backlog of stuff crammed into their heads creates more inputs to process.

Conejo23

Registered
I agree with Katherine’s point that GTD doesn’t add more inputs, it just systematically gives you a framework from which to recognize and process the ones you already have. I don’t think I get 400 inputs a day, but I do get about 110 emails a day and maybe another 50-100 inputs a day. Now, the vast majority of those are handled, as another poster wrote, by hitting delete, or by quickly reading and then deleting, or fielding a question from one of my staff and responding at that moment. What GTD does is take what’s left (I'll estimate that at between 10-50 inputs a day that require inbox processing of some kind) and let me handle them efficiently.

But I'll make a bigger point. One thing GTD has done for me is help me stop lying to myself. It forces me to recognize the full scope of what agreements I've made with myself and others. It’s easy to say yes and take on new things when you are only really recognizing half of what you truly need to do. In that case, you just try to ignore the inbox that is piling up or the stack of papers in your inbox or the mail piling up on the credenza or the journals mounting on the side of your desk. But you know it’s there and it gnaws at you, robbing you of the peace of mind that comes from knowing the full breadth of your agreements.

And what that’s done for me is make me FAR more selective about the agreements I accept. I say ‘no’ a LOT more now that I've started using GTD because I realize what saying yes really means. Someone asks me for something, or perhaps they send me something to read and before I might’ve thought “well, that sounds interesting, I'd like to check that out.” Now, I ask myself “will this either help me get closer towards my goals, or be a better person, or will it provide some kind of meaningful relaxation/fun/entertainment?” If the answer is yes, then I'll accept it and process it accordingly. But for most inputs, the answer is no and it gets deleted. I now delete a lot of stuff that if I had unlimited time I'd enjoy checking out but I realize there are only so many hours in a day.

It also encourages one to ascribe more value to delegation. Maybe this IS something that has to get done. Am I really the only person who can do it?

GTD forces you to get really honest with yourself, which is very powerful.

Juls550

Registered
Yes, is that.

Conejo23, yours is a very interesting approach, it has helped me to review GTD from a new and juicy point of view. Yes ... that is the paramount issue: Never lose the perspective.