A travel bag/briefcase

A

awebber

I know this is a bit off of the GTD subject, but it does have to do with being more effective. In my new position, I will be traveling alot more and require a bag that can effectively handle my laptop and all of the other papers and stuff I have to schlep back and forth to the office and on my trips. Currently, I have a small Case-Logic case for my laptop and I have a simple canvas briefcase from LandsEnd for all of the other stuff. I want to go to one case and am working on minimizing and simplifying the stuff I carry. Anyone have any suggestions?

I

intrigueme@aol.com

Take a look at the Franklin Covey website....

While David Allen might not agree with all of their philosophical points, I'm sure that even he would admit they have a wide variety of luggage that they are now offering....Most of which is aware that everyone needs to carry a laptop with them these days....

They offer cases you can carry over your shoulder, or some wheeled bags too! I purchased the wheeled one for my girlfriend last year - who was commuting between NYC & DC

A

Anonymous

Briefcases et cetera

This sort of thing is very personal, so think about what kind of space you need. The folks at my local Franklin Covey store send people to the luggage store across the mall, which has a better selection than they do. I would start by browsing the Tumi and Eagle Creek web sites to see what the possible designs and sizes are, and go from there. I would stay away from the bags at office supply stores: in my experience, they don't hold up. Luggage stores often have a range of products, and you again have to watch out for stuff that won't hold up. Personally, I use a black, ballistic nylon bag from Eagle Creek.

A

Anonymous

A travel bag/briefcase

check out www.ebags.com. Great selection, availability and price. I went to a samsonite wheelie since developing back and shoulder problems. I can bring everything I need to be productive on the road.

A

Anonymous

The right bag for the job

I definitely agree that the bag you need is based more on your personal needs than GTD. There are many, many options out there.

If you travel alot, and hate carrying a laptop briefcase style, I would recommend a backpack style.

If you prefer wheeled, then there are some great ones also.

It also depends on what material you want - cloth, leather, metal, etc.

I would shop at several stores and do a good deal of research on the net.

I personally have a great leather backpack from Wilson's Leather that has file pockets, side PDA/Cell pockets, and a top accessory pocket. This is my fifth laptop bag is the last seven or eight years and the one that I like the most.

I

intrigueme@aol.com

Re: Different Styles...

I totally agree that it depends on the individual; and even the individual's prefereneces may change over a period of time (I know mine have).

Even though my girlfriend was very satisfied with the wheeled Kenneth Cole Bankroll bag, that I purchased from Franklin Covey; I'm NOT a "wheelie person" since I tend to walk & weave VERY fast through the canyons of NYC.

The product that I have been very satisfied with is "The Vertical Briefcase" from Lands' End. It is about 11-12" wide and abut 15 - 16" tall and DEEP! It has multiple pockets in useful sizes, and has a padded sleeve for a laptop sewn into it.

The thing that I like most about this bag is that it is designed so you can use it three ways.

A) Backpack
B) Shoulder Bag/Messenger Bag
C) Carry by hand - like a traditional briefcase

stargazer_rick

Registered
An acquaintance of mine runs this site:
http://www.bagreview.com

He doesn't sell anything, but he does really detailed reviews. He has always like bags and so he decided to start a site reviewing them. Now many companies send him free bags to review so that it is now a self supporting hobby.

Thanx,
Ricky[/url]

K

krisarthur

Check out www.roadwired.com for bags that fit the techie!

If you are a techie I highly recommend their stuff. They have nooks and crannies for EVERYTHING (CDs, disks, flash cards.. etc., etc. I can fit my IPOD, Dell Axim, Canon S45 camera and 15" screen laptop loaded with books. Their products are great and the customer service is sweet. I bought on of the shoulder bags after looking for a month for something decent.

Kris
krisarthur@yahoo.com

A

Anonymous

travel bag

Interesting to hear about the different bags that people use. I recently stumbled on an add for timbuk2 bags. They have messenger and detour that are suppossed to be useful especially if you carry a laptop.

http://www.timbuk2.com

L

Lisa Wilson

Hello all,

You need an Laptop Backpacks, as you travel a lot so this is better for you as you can carry it easily and it will store all your stuff easily in one case, even i always prefer Backpacks because i have to carry laptop, so you can go with luggageonline, may be this can help you better.

Keep Sharing and Reading

JohnV474

Registered
third or fourth

This is the third or fourth time I've mentioned Saddleback Leather bags today on these forums so I have to be careful not to look like spam.

However, I found that their site had something that would have fit any need I had, as far as consolidating and still looking professional while having a rugged bag.

The bags are pricey but you won't regret it. I own two (plus two wallets) and would buy another if I had the need.

Mine is a medium chestnut 14" briefcase.

In it, I carry:
Moleskine, Inbox, laptop + accessories, flashlight, mints, business cards, calculator, pens, sunglasses, binder, folders, clipboard, cell phone, extra 3x5 cards, medicine, my backup keyring, and in an attached Saddleback pouch I carry my wallet, UCT (when tucked away), keys, and a pen), and a digital camera.

I usually don't carry a laptop, but when I do it fits nicely.

JohnV474

r177kirk

Registered
Save your back

Hello

If you are traveling alot via airplane may I suggest a rolling case. I log over 200 days a year on the road and taking the strain off my shoulders and back by going with a rollerboard helps limit my stress levels.

Targus has some good bags (my current workhorse is the 3.1 Airporter - which holds my laptop my cords etc and has a file folder compartment. This one will also fit in the overhead compartment of even the smallest commuter planes).

good luck in the search for the perfect bag. Its a lifelong quest :)

Robert

awebber;17444 said:
I know this is a bit off of the GTD subject, but it does have to do with being more effective. In my new position, I will be traveling alot more and require a bag that can effectively handle my laptop and all of the other papers and stuff I have to schlep back and forth to the office and on my trips. Currently, I have a small Case-Logic case for my laptop and I have a simple canvas briefcase from LandsEnd for all of the other stuff. I want to go to one case and am working on minimizing and simplifying the stuff I carry. Anyone have any suggestions?

djc2008

Registered
Laptop bag as a road-warrior consultant in past life...

I agree with others who recommend finding a laptop / business case that suits your purpose and style.

I was a road warrior consultant for over 7 years (traveling 4-5 days per week for 7 to 9 months per year) and during almost the entire time I used a rolling laptop case. It was a Samsonite that I bought at a luggage store. I had to carry not only my laptop and power cord(standard corporate issue 15 inch workhorse type from Dell or HP) but also an extra battery, client project materials and print outs, and an assortment of office supplies since my laptop was essentially my portable office. A few items of note:

1) I made sure that the laptop case "fit" comfortably on my luggage rollaboard (e.g., the laptop case sat on top of my luggage rollaboard such that I could grip both handles securely and the center of mass / weight distribution felt stable). It made a huge difference when I found myself running from the airport to the client site or to the hotel or running to the gate before I missed my flight. It also helped when climbing up and down stairs or broken escalators.

2) The previous model Samsonite I had from 2000 to 2006 stood the test of time without falling apart quickly. I finally replaced it with a more recent model and I did not like it because it was too big (it did not "sit" as well or as stable on my rollaboard, it would barely fit under the airplane seat in front of me). Also, the materials felt more flimsy and I was worried it would break soon.

3) I switched to a Kensington laptop rolling case and have used it since 2007with no major issues. However, I left the road warrior lifestyle in 2008 and no longer travel, so I can't attest to whether it would have survived the similar paces I put the Samsonite case through.

In a nutshell, from my experience, the basic laptop roller bags (less than $100) worked fine for me in the past...but with changes in material and design, it is possible that current models might not be as durable or ergonomically suitable as they used to be.

I hope this helps or gives you some other ideas to consider.

David

MiataPops

Registered
"Are you the one?"

I have purchased and discarded several briefcases, messenger bags, etc., over the years looking for the "right one". My current model is a Skooba, non-wheeled, TSA "Checkpoint Friendly" bag. Since my purchase, Skooba has added a wheeled model.

I am very happy with it. It has a lot of storage for its size, but the best part is not having to remove my computer from the bag during airport security screening.

rdgeorge

Registered
I like Tumi products (the black ballistic nylon ones). Some of their briefcases have smaller profiles, which works if you have a smaller laptop.

rdgeorge