Accessing Omnifocus from Android Phone

timjamesbrennan

Registered
For years my system tool has been Omnifocus on my mac. It suits me very well except for one thing - I can't see my errands when Im not at my mac.

My phone is an android - so no official OF app. I tried http://www.spootnik.net/ which is a bit cumbersome to use. I don't really want to get an iphone. I don't want to carry an extra device like an ipod.

So I tried evernote using thesecretweapon.org approach which is available on any platform. The large evernote widget on android can be set up to show saved searches - so I have 6 of them and they are really useful.

However, I prefer the way omnifocus works. e.g. auto complete when typing project names, repeating tasks, and setting different review intervals

Anyone found a good way to easily access Omnifocus on android? or perhaps the answer is to use Evernote only for errands - this might work if I sync errands in OF with evernote automatically, but how is that possible?

dhtran

Registered
I'm in the same boat!

I switch from a Macbook/iPhone 4S to a Google Chrome OS/Samsung Note 2. I am feeling the same way and looking to go to back to a Mac OS ecosystem because GTD is so important to me and my productivity.

I have trying to use todo.txt since it's very simple but it's organization is getting difficult with all of the projects and someday maybe lists that I am creating.

I have not been able to find out if OmniGroup is creating anything but I know David Allen Co. has teamed up with another company to develop something.

I just might go back to my iPhone!

timjamesbrennan

Registered
dhtran;105498 said:
I switch from a Macbook/iPhone 4S to a Google Chrome OS/Samsung Note 2. I am feeling the same way and looking to go to back to a Mac OS ecosystem because GTD is so important to me and my productivity.

I have trying to use todo.txt since it's very simple but it's organization is getting difficult with all of the projects and someday maybe lists that I am creating.

I have not been able to find out if OmniGroup is creating anything but I know David Allen Co. has teamed up with another company to develop something.

I have a friend who is a web developer who uses omnifocus. At some point I want to show him spootnik.net and ask him it how hard it is to make a great version of this...

mcogilvie

Registered
Isn't it obvious that people with Omnifocus on a mac and an android phone are schismatics who have broken faith with the one true electronic ecosystem? ;)

billjw

Registered
No OF on Android ...

dhtran;105498 said:

I am also in the same boat. Macbook Air, iPad and Galaxy Note 2. I contacted Ken Case at Omni to see if there is any chance (any at all!!) of Omnifocus being transported to Android... Nope! It was a good response that they are sticking to what they know and don't want to dilute the product. :( (dilute is my word, can't remember theirs exactly)

I really prefer the Android OS generally and now use Any.DO but not as well as OF and it is not OF by any stretch...

timjamesbrennan

Registered
Just this morning I may have found a good solution.

I installed Jump Desktop screen sharing app on my mac and on my Galaxy s3 and it works very well. There is no offline access and you have to leave your mac running (possibly) for it to work, but otherwise I am very impressed with it.

Tried another called PocketCloud, but I found Jump Desktop a bit easier to use on my phone - in particular bringing up a hidden dock with the mouse.

rburgst

Registered
You might be interested in a little project of mine.

http://rainer.4950.net/wordpress/blog/category/gtd/focusgtd-android/

Its still some way to go for the first public release, but it will certainly come.

cheers
- Rainer

billjw;105552 said:
I am also in the same boat. Macbook Air, iPad and Galaxy Note 2. I contacted Ken Case at Omni to see if there is any chance (any at all!!) of Omnifocus being transported to Android... Nope! It was a good response that they are sticking to what they know and don't want to dilute the product. :( (dilute is my word, can't remember theirs exactly)

I really prefer the Android OS generally and now use Any.DO but not as well as OF and it is not OF by any stretch...

jrmch

Registered
Nozbe

I used Omnifocus and it was/is great, I have gone off Iphone now and I miss it, I have a note 8 and a note 2 and I use Nozbe and it is the best by far and I have tried all of the GTD type task managers, the main things I like: you can email to it, so when an email comes in forward it to your nozbe account and it will pop up, you can setup a google calendar for nozbe so any dated/timed tasks will appear in there, you can also create an entry in the calendar and that will go back into nozbe. You can add comments, todo lists and take photos and upload files to a task, which works but is not 100% robust in my experience so you have to be careful. It has the ability to add projects and contexts and put tags on projects, so for me I have a tag called work and a tag called personal, and then I can attach those tags to projects to filter from later. It is way off omnifocus in terms of slickness and robustness and you have to pay 8eur / month to use it (if you want more than 4 projects) - but I think it is the best you will get for the android, you can also log into a webapp and add and manage tasks in there also.

I cant understand why people are trying to get some way of syncronising omnifocus and trying to get it to work on the android there is no need to get the syncing to work, the main plus point of omnifocus is that it looks beautiful and is very slick and functional. someone just needs to knuckle down and to a GTD app that is as good or better - the android apps are just to home-made looking (nozbe no exception) - the best looking app is Do it - this is beautiful and robust but is too thin in terms of power and flexibility.

mckeehan

Registered
timjamesbrennan;105349 said:
Anyone found a good way to easily access Omnifocus on android?

I faced the same issue - my phone is an Android phone and I wanted my todo's available there when I was out and about. I could not find anything that worked for me, so I wrote a bit of AppleScript to "sync" my OmniFocus "active tasks" to a todo.txt file that I store in Dropbox. I can run the todo.txt app on my Android phone to see what I need to do and I can mark things complete. The script is not perfect, but it works well for me. Give it a look:
http://mckeehan.homeip.net/computers/omnifocus/index.htm

jrmch

Registered
Nozbe

I use Nozbe, it is not as good as Omnifocus, and the Interface is not as clean, but I think it is the best out there for android, you can save attachments/photos add notes etc.. it will also sync with a google calendar so you can see your tasks on a calendar and have reminders - I have tried pretty much all of the Todo apps and this seems the best.

timjamesbrennan;105349 said:
For years my system tool has been Omnifocus on my mac. It suits me very well except for one thing - I can't see my errands when Im not at my mac.

My phone is an android - so no official OF app. I tried http://www.spootnik.net/ which is a bit cumbersome to use. I don't really want to get an iphone. I don't want to carry an extra device like an ipod.

So I tried evernote using thesecretweapon.org approach which is available on any platform. The large evernote widget on android can be set up to show saved searches - so I have 6 of them and they are really useful.

However, I prefer the way omnifocus works. e.g. auto complete when typing project names, repeating tasks, and setting different review intervals

Anyone found a good way to easily access Omnifocus on android? or perhaps the answer is to use Evernote only for errands - this might work if I sync errands in OF with evernote automatically, but how is that possible?

sliver108

Registered
jrmch;112660 said:
I use Nozbe, it is not as good as Omnifocus, and the Interface is not as clean, but I think it is the best out there for android, you can save attachments/photos add notes etc.. it will also sync with a google calendar so you can see your tasks on a calendar and have reminders - I have tried pretty much all of the Todo apps and this seems the best.

Am I the only one having issues with their lack of syncing capabilities with G-cal lol?! I mean it works but only half way. They just seem like they are all over the map for a 7 year old company.