• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Actions versus Next Actions

Being away from California, I've been stuck in a place where the career things that I should ( and will ) be taking up my time are on hold. Being in somewhat of a temporal purgatory, I've found posting on these boards the best use of my time, to get primed up for when I get back to a resource-rich environment. Thanks for bearing with me.
 
validatelife;55529 said:
Okay, yeah' you're right, that definitely would NOT be reference becaust it's still actionable! However, i like your idea of seperate folders but would, following the "complicated forms" idea, would i have -- possibly -- a Project folder and in that a "complicated financial forms" folder and possibly in that a "real estate transaction" and "taxes" folder or something of that? The main thing here is that I should have folders within the projects folder? That's easy peasy lemon squeazy with computer folders (electronic folders), but you'd have to get a larger mini-filing folder for projects, or maybe just a a cardboard box for projects.

Devote as much space to filing as the project requires. For some projects, that might be a few sheets of paper. For others, it might be whole rooms full of files.

Personally, I like to keep my filing hierarchies as flat as possible. So I wouldn't have "complicated financial forms" as a category, I'd have "2007 taxes," "Boston house sale," or "January trip expenses."

In short, I have 4 seperate GTD systems running each with their individual (and often overlapping) projects, NAs, reference, and maybe somedays! It's the EPITOME of chaos from organization!! haha. I think the best remedy to that convoluted quagmire is to just consider 1 of those 4 electronic GTDs the MAIN system and then just dump all contents of the other 3 GTDs in the inbox of hte Main one.

That's what I would do. You might eventually decide that you need parallel systems--for instance if you work on some projects *exclusively* in particular physical or online environments--but in general consolidation reduces the chances that things will get lost.

Katherine
 
TesTeq;55532 said:
validatelife,

I'm impressed that you use so much of your valuable time to test various GTD methodology implementations and implications and report to us the results of these tests.

Hey, what can I say, I had a LOT of open loops, projects, and next actions clouding my brain. GTD Works! I finally found a system that works. I exercise better, think more clearly, have a MUCH greater sense of mobility. I wanted to share my gratitude for the GTD system! It's awesome! Finally something that works for me and my needs instead of some structure that creates problems. i just put problems INTO gtd and it processes them to get successful results!!

But, yes, I DID go a little overkill on sharing my findings, experimentations, and evolution of getting to a good blend of a working system using GTD, and probably should have been using my time elsewhere (like actually doing some of the stuff I've now categorized and now have a handle on) from GTD, but I just wanted to 1)Share the excitement and gratitude and 2)work out any other kinks to the system that fits PERFECTLY with my personality. I have a lot of computer science and some cognitive background and the "loops" and thinking about thinking (cognition) was immensely congruent to my needs.
TesTeq;55532 said:
I even have no time to read everything you are writing!

Said, the person with over a 1000 posts on this board!!! haha.

Thanks.

You're right though. Gotta move forward now that my "stuff" is no longer a burdening amoprphorous mass, but a pristine, precise, and "mind like water" system (it's getting there at least )!
 
Top