active vs passive contexts

sparkle

Registered
Hi,
i'm doing GTD for a half year now, and it has really changed my life.

But there's one big question I have regarding contexts and priorities. From my understanding, a fundamental concept of GTD is that priorities are not the most import aspects of your tasks. In fact, it is on position 4:

1. Context
2. Available Time
3. Available Energy
4. Priority

Another concept of GTD is to NOT do the task when it's nearly too late (when a specific deadline has been reached), but anytime you're in the right context and have the right time + energy.

From that understanding, "Contexts" (and even "Time" and "Energy") seem to be some "god-given" unchangeable aspects. Something, you're either in or not. You cannot change them actively. If you're not in a specific context, you may not look at the tasks of another context - no matter how important they are ("Priority"). You're only forced to do that, if it's already too late (if the deadline has been reached)!

In my opinion, you can change contexts actively! For example, if you need to buy something urgently, you can actively get into your car and drive to the hardware store (and by doing so, changing the context "at home" into "hardware store"). This can even be extended to the other aspects (time + energy), too. If you know, you've got to do something important (with a high priority), you may need to ensure that you got the necessary energy and time (for example: "get to bed earlier, so that you're fit tomorrow!") ;-)

This point of view may completely change the order above:

1. Priority
2. Energy
3. Time
4. Context

My question is: how can you incorporate this point of view into GTD or is it possible at all?

ArcCaster

Registered
I start with priority. And by priority, I mean 'what is pulling on me', or 'where is my energy drawing me'. Sometimes 'pull' comes from deadlines, sometimes it comes from the 'weight' or the 'significance' of an upcoming end result. And sometimes that pull comes with simply wanting to take action soon enough that I have 'mulling' or 'percolating' time AFTER that initial action. (for me, 'mulling' takes place as a background subconscious action while I am doing other things). Whatever the source, I find it productive to 'go where the energy is'.

These priorities can cause me to change contexts -- and, while I am in the context of choice, I often choose to knock off a few other action items for that context.

I agree with your second sequence.

mcogilvie

Registered
sparkle said:
Hi,

This point of view may completely change the order above:

1. Priority
2. Energy
3. Time
4. Context

My question is: how can you incorporate this point of view into GTD or is it possible at all?

With that order, you will be traversing all your contexts all day in pursuit of your priorities. Sensible people look at their lists frequently, and spend their time in each context wisely. Just because my highest priority is to finish a discussion I started with my wife this morning is no reason to leave work now: I will see her tonight. If you have to be at work certain hours, as many people do, do work stuff while there. If you have flexible hours, you may not be at work for an eight-hour day. However, having chosen to be there for an afternoon, you should maximize the opportunity to get work stuff done while there. The criteria are really questions:

Do I have to be in this context? Is there some better context available now?
Do I have time to do something that needs doing?
Do I have the energy to do it?
Is there something more important I should do instead?

Try asking the questions in your order. I think it should be clear you would spend a lot of time considering things you can't do right now.

Folke

Registered
Here is yet another view: Do not always give the factors the same attention, but the attention that they deserve at the time. I would say that:
  • When you make your daily scan/plan (probably in the morning, and also check you calendar for appointments etc) then primarily consider short-listing some high priority tasks and tasks that concur with the venues of the appointments and/or with the contexts of the high priority tasks.
  • When looking later in the day for additional optional actions in the situations you then find yourself in, look for those that match you current context, energy and available time (and if there are many to choose from, pick the most important and/or urgent ones).
BTW, @sparkie, I think you are absolutely correct that you can change contexts actively. No problem as such, but there is a "cost" for switching which is why it is wise to not totally ignore any of the four factors. If, for example, some other activity is important enough and not too far away, then by all means switch; and if not then don't.

cfoley

Registered
I don't think David Allen suggests that priority is not important. Rather, he says that priorities change so quickly and suddenly that formalising them with A, B, C codes and the like is pointless. He says that the best barometer of priority is your gut instinct. I don't remember him ranking time, energy, priority or context. They are just factors you have to take into account, although he does say that on occasions only some contexts will be available to you.

bcmyers2112

Registered
sparkle said:
If you're not in a specific context, you may not look at the tasks of another context - no matter how important they are ("Priority").

I don't recall him saying anything of the sort. He simply makes the point that it's not worth being bothered by action items you can't do where you are. If something is truly urgent and requires a change in context, there's nothing "un-GTD" about doing that. I don't understand how this is a problem, though. If something becomes an emergency, you'll know it. If you're constantly finding important things falling through the cracks because you're not in the right context often enough, I'd say you need to re-negotiate some of your commitments or create a situation that puts you in those contexts more often.

bcmyers2112

Registered
cfoley said:
I don't remember him ranking time, energy, priority or context.

Actually, he does. It's part of the four-fold model of choosing actions in the moment. He recommends narrowing your choices down first by context, then by time available, then by energy available, and then finally by priority. Which makes sense. I need to get new wiper blades for my car, and it's actually quite important because, you know, they help me see when I'm driving during bad weather (which we're getting a lot of where I am right now). However it made no sense to be reviewing that or other errands while at my home office this morning at 10:45 when I had only 15 minutes between today's endless parade of internal meetings-by-phone. On the other hand it made perfect sense to take care of some email replies and to make two small revisions to a sales quote requested by one of my customers.

Folke

Registered
bcmyers2112 said:
Actually, he does. It's part of the four-fold model of choosing actions in the moment. He recommends narrowing your choices down first by context, then by time available, then by energy available, and then finally by priority. Which makes sense.
cfoley said:
... he says that priorities change so quickly and suddenly that formalising them with A, B, C codes and the like is pointless.

Yes, he does say that and it does make sense - sometimes. It applies - only - to the common situation where we try to find additional actions to do right now, in the situation we are in right now (in the moment).

Unfortunately he does not mention anything (as far as I know) about how you make sure you get important and urgent things done soon. This is probably just an unintentional oversight. I suggest you do that by flagging the important/urgent ones (to avoid overlooking them in the future) and trying to put some of these on your tentative "white index card" (aka focus list aka hotlist aka today list aka starred list etc) on days where this is possible.

sparkle

Registered
Thanks for your comments so far - very interesting discussion!

I agree with most what you're saying:

There are situations where you cannot switch the context (or it would be too costly).
Priorities may change to quickly to formalize them.

BUT, I still have the problem mentioned above. ;-)

So far, I only see two ways to solve it:

1. Have the important tasks in your subconscious mind. Maybe that's also what David Allen meant by "intuition". But: isn't the whole GTD process about getting things OUT of your mind and note them to a trustworthy system?

2. Set due dates for important tasks or mark them with a dedicated label / putting them on a special list.

I'm using Omnifocus to manage my tasks. When I'm reviewing my projects, I make sure that nothing important gets lost: I'm setting a due date for the important tasks or flag them. The problem is, that this is somewhat corrupting the tasks that really need to get done at a specific date (because the "important tasks" mustn't be really done at a specific date, but just as soon as possible). And on the other hand, the "flag list" may easily get out of control...

Seems that this is really some unintentional oversight in GTD...?!

cfoley

Registered
Have you read "Making it all Work"? The book addresses control vs perspective (horizontal vs vertical). In a nutshell, managing your action lists will give you control over all the open loops in your life but without perspective, you will find it difficult to give the proper attention to all the various aspects of your life. In my experience, this has led to situations where I have been doing well in one aspect of my life but struggling and fire fighting in another part. I wonder if this is what you are experiencing.

bcmyers2112 said:
Actually, he does. It's part of the four-fold model of choosing actions in the moment. He recommends narrowing your choices down first by context, then by time available, then by energy available, and then finally by priority. Which makes sense. I need to get new wiper blades for my car, and it's actually quite important because, you know, they help me see when I'm driving during bad weather (which we're getting a lot of where I am right now). However it made no sense to be reviewing that or other errands while at my home office this morning at 10:45 when I had only 15 minutes between today's endless parade of internal meetings-by-phone. On the other hand it made perfect sense to take care of some email replies and to make two small revisions to a sales quote requested by one of my customers.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to reread that section.

TesTeq

Registered
Folke said:
Unfortunately he does not mention anything (as far as I know) about how you make sure you get important and urgent things done soon. This is probably just an unintentional oversight.

Not, it's not an oversight. GTD handles perfectly "important and urgent things":

1. If they are already in your system you detect them during the Weekly Review. And - if necessary - you put a reminder in your calendar, tickler file or even create a special "Today" action list.

2. If they arrive in your inbox you detect them when you Process the inbox.

Easy!

Folke

Registered
You are right. I phrased it incorrectly. I should have said "he does not mention any good way ...". Why do I mean by that? :
  • Weekly is too seldom. I want to able to see these things very conveniently as often as I want during the week or day
  • I don't want to "artificially" use dates (tickler, calendar) for stuff that is not date based (things can be very important or urgent without having a particular date).
I do make a Today action list ("white index card") but that solves only half the problem. I first need to find the important/urgent actions among all the other actions, particularly in the morning before I decide which contexts I will get myself into that day. I mark each task with a color (three levels) for the "review category", which makes it easy to find the ones I particularly want to look at in my daily scan, subsequent daily list checks, and in my weekly review.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
Folke said:
Unfortunately he does not mention anything (as far as I know) about how you make sure you get important and urgent things done soon. This is probably just an unintentional oversight. I suggest you do that by flagging the important/urgent ones (to avoid overlooking them in the future) and trying to put some of these on your tentative "white index card" (aka focus list aka hotlist aka today list aka starred list etc) on days where this is possible.

...and this has been my biggest challenge with GTD (compounded by not doing Weekly Reviews until now ;))
I used to worry that, once I had processed a task onto my Next action list, that it would languish there, undone, forever.

Priorities do shift, and a daily scan / Today list (combined with a Weekly full review) is helping me keep the lists current and representative of what's important.

Oogiem

Registered
I live and work at home. I can pretty much choose to be in any context except the ones for the town errands and the ones for the city errands. During my weekly review I verify that no contexts are being neglected. There is a huge cost to switching contexts willy nilly so I try not to do it much. Some of those costs are obvious. If I am in the Red Barn and suddenly decide to go to the Little House to do something I have the cost in time and energy to walk there. Some costs are less obvious. If I am on my computer in my office and I am processing bills and payments if I suddenly decide to jump out and deal with e-mail I have to mentally make the switch. That can take time but more importantly it takes attention. Far better to stay processing bills until done then move to the next context. That is one reason I often have my computer list split by software package I need to complete the task. It prevents me from making fast context switches that drain time and energy.

I also use Omnifocus as my GTD tool. I hardly ever put in a deadline or due by date. Certainly not on anything just because it has priority. Due dates are ONLY for those items that have serious legal repercussions if they are not done by a specific time or that are meetings or other events that will pass if I don't do them then.

I also use flags sparingly if at all and in fact I'm even rethinking whether they help or hinder me. So far flagged items have not really helped me. I really find that by a proper selection of customized contexts and a good weekly review that is all I need to keep on top of everything. I also make sure that not just work but personal and hobby items are also in my Omnifocus system. I use GTD to manage my entire life not just some aspects of it and that is critical for making it all work for me.

Folke

Registered
Oogiem said:
I also use flags sparingly if at all and in fact I'm even rethinking whether they help or hinder me. So far flagged items have not really helped me.

I actually agree a lot with that, and the statement can apply to most kinds of hard-coded categorizations. I use very little of everything and am happy with that "Spartanism". In order for a flag, measure or other characterization to be useful (and worth the effort of encoding) it must have the potential to save time or reduce errors or improve decisions, and in order to have that effect it must be possible to trust the relevance and correctness of the hard-coded values and base your actions on them without hesitation. This means they must have a very concrete, well-defined and stable meaning that I can interpret the same way every time I look.

As for my "review categories" I have them defined such that actions that I have decided can be excluded from my daily scan are marked Low (a turquoise bar on the left). This saves me a lot of time every morning. It also means I can see these tasks easily, and pay more attention to them, during my weekly review. Normal (medium) action are included in my daily scan - I always read all of these every day. And the High ones (if any) I usually at least glance at several times a day, just in case something has changed during the day that has made it possible to address these today even though it did not seem possible in the morning.

sparkle

Registered
I also have mixed feeling about using flags - especially as they are not an "official tool" in the GTD process.

But for now, let's be more concrete. I like the example mentioned above from bcmyers2112:

Assume you need new wiper blades for your car. There is no due date, because you don't need to have them at a specific date but just as soon as possible (the rain may get so heavy any day so that you may not be able to use your car anymore without them being installed). How do you handle this high priority?

Let's say you are full of energy and have one free day sitting at home, so you could easily switch your context "at home" into "at the store" actively. But how do you remember to do that?

1. Have it in your "subconscious" mind?

2. Have it remembered in your weekly review (but a week may even be too late if the rain gets too heavy meanwhile)?

3. Have it marked by a flag?

4. Any other idea?

Oogiem

Registered
sparkle said:
BTW, I haven't read "Making it all work". Can you recommend it? Will it be of any help?

Yes, I like all 3 and in fact am re-reading Making it all Work now to expand a bit into the higher horizons. Plus it will be good to refresh my knowledge prior to the release of the new version of GTD, which I already have on order at Amazon. :) I'm thinking I might also re-read Ready for Anything as well.

Folke

Registered
sparkle said:
Let's say you are full of energy and have one free day sitting at home, so you could easily switch your context "at home" into "at the store" actively. But how do you remember to do that?

1. Have it in your "subconscious" mind?

Sure, why not - if you are willing to trust it. But most of us apparently don't ;-)

sparkle said:
2. Have it remembered in your weekly review (but a week may even be too late if the rain gets too heavy meanwhile)?

I think it is too often too late to check important things only once per week, and you probably you want to keep it very visible until it gets done.

sparkle said:
3. Have it marked by a flag?

That is what I do. In fact I have two flags, both a two-level and a three-level flag:

- the star (off or on) shows which actions I have decided to keep handy today (or until I change my mind). This flag has nothing to do with importance or urgency - I often star things that will fit in (for contextual or other reasons) with already starred actions or with appointments etc.

- the "review category" flag (a colored bar) shows me what to look at during which of my routine list checks. I would probably mark the windscreen wipers as "Normal" level. This means I will routinely check it at least every morning (and I will also find it whenever i look for additional Errands, of course, regardless of color.) I have defined my review categories strictly in terms of when (how often) I will look, but this tends to coincide entirely with importance and urgency, and the name of the app feature is actually "Priority".

Both of these flags are, in a way, an integral part of GTD. David talks about a "white index card" (the Star) and he also advocates the fourfold model, which includes priority (but which I personally prefer to call review category to avoid any mix-up with other forms of "hard" prioritization such as sequencing or phasing that GTD advises strongly against.)

sparkle said:
4. Any other idea?

Well, something I personally hate, but which is extremely common, it seems, is to set timers for the tasks and have them pop up again, say, tomorrow or next week or whatever, depending partly on the task's importance, and then keep postponing them .... This seems to be one of the predominant methods among non-GTDers. And also scheduling tasks, i.e. "putting them on the calendar" whether they actually must be done on that day or not. Both of these methods are very "un-GTD", and I have always avoided them simply because they mess up your lists and create a lot of unnecessary work and just feel unnatural to me.

ChristinaSkaskiw

Registered
I've solved the "getting into priority context" by creating a list I call "daytime / time sensitive", which is not particular to a context, but has the few super important next actions I have to deal with. These typically require an active context switch, or putting in a time block in my calendar, to get done. It's called "daytime" because some personal next actions have to be done during office hours, so I need the list with me to work and I create a space during work hours to attend to them. It's usually a short list, some days it's empty.