Adding OmniFocus tasks from Windows

lesfister

Registered
I'm a big OmniFocus fan/user, using the Mac, iPhone and iPad versions. My employer is Windows-based, however, which means my OF use at work is almost all done through the iPad.

Which works really well... but I miss the "quick entry" feature from my Mac. I've tried several ways to handle the new things that fly into my life:
  • Switch to the iPad and add them to OF (takes time)
  • Switch to Outlook and create an email that OF will import (still takes time)
  • Write them on paper, then transfer them into OF (yet another list)

So I fired up my (limited) skills in Visual Basic and wrote a "New Action" script. Now I can simply double-click the script (or use hotkeys I've assigned), enter the item into a simple text box, hit Enter... and I'm done. The script sends the item via Outlook, and my OmniFocus Mac client automatically brings it into the Inbox.

The script does assume you're running Outlook on your Windows machine, and that you have OmniFocus set up on a Mac to automatically process emails.

If anyone is interested, I'd by happy to post the script here.

Les

Beltza

Registered
I have managed to implement the same workflow using a simple ActiveWords or FingerTips macro, which I can launch with a simple key combination.

moosie

Registered
lesfister;89355 said:
The script does assume you're running Outlook on your Windows machine, and that you have OmniFocus set up on a Mac to automatically process emails.

When you say "set up on a mac" does that include iPads? I've never gotten that into automating stuff like processing emails.

I'm interested in learning more about this since I am also 100% OmniFocus, but stuck with Windows at work and have the iPad solely for OF use.

Leif

Registered
Great script!

I do almost the same, but I send/forward emails from the employer windows outlook client to a gtd email address of mine. This address I poll with an always on mac mini that syncs OmniFocus via webdav to my iPhone/iPad/Mac. Using the OF mail functions the actions may be put in their proper contexts/projects automatically.

With your script added to my workflow I will be even more automated. Thanks for sharing!