Affirmation and Visualisation for Successful outcomes

J

Jimhardie74

Hey guys,

I heard an interview with david allen where he talks about a model for affirmation and visualsation that he found groundbreaking back in the early 1980's.

I am interested to know if anyone knows what he was referring to or what are the best books/models/practices when it comes visualisation and affirmation for success and productivity.

Here is the interview here, its a really good one. He talks about affirmation at around 45 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKSyB1UOuNs

Thanks guys, look forward to reading your answers.

ArcCaster

Registered
Here is a GTD affirmation: "I love the healthy perspective and relaxed control I am experiencing, consistently reviewing and renegotiating my commitments in regular Weekly Reviews."

An affirmation describes your desired state as if it were already your current state. Ideally, it includes feelings and emotions. It is repeated on a regular basis for weeks. The idea is that humans tend to 'regress towards the mean'. So, for example, if you were trying to change your weight, the further you go from your mean weight, the stronger the pull to bring you back to "where you belong." So most people fail at such an atttempt. Affirmations attempt to change your picture of 'where you belong', and subconsciously, you get pulled in that direction. So, if you affirm how you you would feel if you were 20 pounds lighter (I love the feeling of lightness, strength, and quickness I have weighing 180) , over time that picture becomes 'where you belong' -- and you get pulled to the affirmed picture, rather than to your old 'mean'.

ArcCaster

Registered
Both affirmations and visualization share the assumption that first you create something in your mind, then later you create it in the physical world. So a related topic to this is the idea of defining 'outcomes' for your day. My most productive times were when I was in the habit of planning my next day right at the end of my current day. That created a vision that had half a day to increase in power before time to implement -- and when the next day came, everything just flowed!