after much delay I am getting back on the gtd wagon..again

macgrl

Registered
Am I right in think that you can't add single actions to a folder in omnifocus. When I try to move a single action that I have created in the inbox to a folder on the left hand side the action is turned into a project? can only projects be in folders? if so how can i have single actions in a folder?

Edit to say that you have to create a "single action list" in the folder to have single actions in that folder! :)

Oogiem

Registered
Caution re Single Action Lists

macgrl;94215 said:
Edit to say that you have to create a "single action list" in the folder to have single actions in that folder! :)

Yes that is the way it works. But I do have a caution. When I first set up my areas of focus as folders in POF I set separate single action lists for each area. I found it dragged me down to try to decide which list to put it on so I eventually boiled it down to 2, errands (single actions that involve leaving the farm) and misc (all other single actions). If they really are single actions and not hidden projects 1 or 2 single action lists is plenty.

cwoodgold

Registered
Oogiem;94190 said:
For me I like seeing a separate context of @waiting for because I have so many waiting for's. My tickler is day specific, a waiting for is rarely defined to be reviewed on a particular day and having them come up in the tickler is irritating to me. I review them weekly to see if I need to poke on them in the coming week.

That may work best for you, and if so, it supports a theory I have that GTD is not
only about getting stuff out of your head (such as remembering to do this and that)
but also about getting stuff into your head (long-term perspective, priorities, and
lots of useful though not essential facts such as "don't worry, I've already got an
entry about that in my waiting-fors"). Martin Ternouth talks about the value of getting
information into your head by rapidly reviewing stuff on paper.

If I had a lot of waiting-fors, and if having them in the tickle file irritated me, I might
set up a mini-tickle file just for the waiting-fors, with one folder for each week.

My tickle file contains not only day-specific items but also items that are more
appropriate at some vague future time; however, not items I just don't have time
to do when I put them in.