Agendus 11 for Palm: New Features, New Bugs!

mcogilvie

Registered
For those who use palms, there is a new version of Agendus out. It has many spiffy features, most of which work. The one I like the best is a checklist feature. You list items, one per line, in the notes section, with a + or - at the beginning. This displays as a checklist in a view of the item, which can be checked off on the display. Cute, kind of wiki-like. Many other little features tucked in too. As we have come to expect from Iambic, there are also bugs and inconsistent behavior. Selecting the monthly list view crashes my TX every time.

It's interesting to me how Datebk and Agendus have diverged. Datebk still seems like a big old truck: pretty reliable, lots of knobs and dials, but no fun to drive. Agendus wants to be a luxury car, but it's in the shop a lot, the engine (400 MHz Palm) is a little underpowered for some of the features.

V

Vramin

I'm not sure...

mcogilvie said:
For those who use palms, there is a new version of Agendus out. It has many spiffy features, most of which work. The one I like the best is a checklist feature. You list items, one per line, in the notes section, with a + or - at the beginning. This displays as a checklist in a view of the item, which can be checked off on the display. Cute, kind of wiki-like. Many other little features tucked in too. As we have come to expect from Iambic, there are also bugs and inconsistent behavior. Selecting the monthly list view crashes my TX every time.

It's interesting to me how Datebk and Agendus have diverged. Datebk still seems like a big old truck: pretty reliable, lots of knobs and dials, but no fun to drive. Agendus wants to be a luxury car, but it's in the shop a lot, the engine (400 MHz Palm) is a little underpowered for some of the features.

I'm not sure which one you are calling the "Monthly List View," but I can't get any of my monthly views to crash.

br4978

Registered
As is often the case with Agendus (and most other Palm apps, I suppose), the type of bugs seem to be specific to the hardware. The new Agendus crashes my Tungsten T3 with each alarm, and also intermittently when setting preferences for views and alarms.

I deleted Agendus and will wait for a version with functioning alarms - I was resetting my Palm over 10 times a day. Until that happens I'm sticking with the stable and effective DateBk 5....but then, my needs are pretty straight forward - I don't need the 100+ tool Swiss Army knife that Agendus has become. Where I see borderline bloatware, you may see the perfect PIM...

- MB

ommoran

Registered
S-l-o-w

br4978 said:
Where I see borderline bloatware, you may see the perfect PIM...

Borderline nothing! ;-)

I deleted Agendus 3 months ago as it was taking 6-7 seconds to load my calendar on my Palm Tungsten | E. That was like an eternity. I figured heck, if DA manages to get by with the plain vanilla Palm Apps (or did a couple of years ago, before they were as advanced as they are now...) then so can I.

V

Vramin

ommoran said:
Borderline nothing! ;-)

I deleted Agendus 3 months ago as it was taking 6-7 seconds to load my calendar on my Palm Tungsten | E. That was like an eternity. I figured heck, if DA manages to get by with the plain vanilla Palm Apps (or did a couple of years ago, before they were as advanced as they are now...) then so can I.

I'm sorry you don't like it, but it doesn't mean it's bad software. Just means it's not right for you. I can find plenty of people who use organizational systems other than GTD and don't like GTD even a little bit. Will you stop using it based on their opinion?

Agendus has a trial version. Interested users should give it a try and decide for themselves. I think the built in Palm apps suck, you don't. Good thing both are available. Choice is a good thing.

br4978

Registered
"I think the built in Palm apps suck, you don't. Good thing both are available. Choice is a good thing."

- Vramin

I've noticed on a couple of your posts that your perspectives on the native Palm apps goes well beyond the merely dismissive - you seem positively hostile to them Why? In terms of the basic calendar, task, memo and contacts functions, I don't see many basic functional differences between Palm apps and Agendus. True, Agendus offers a host of tweaks and enhancements, but many of the functions (travel-related, for example) are fairly specialized functions that apply to only a modest fraction of PDA users.

In terms of getting from point A to B, virtually all cars will get you there, whether Mercedes or Mazda. After arriving, I don't think which car one drove makes one iota of difference. Why do you hate the Mazda so much?

- MB

V

Vramin

You're making my point...

br4978 said:
I've noticed on a couple of your posts that your perspectives on the native Palm apps goes well beyond the merely dismissive - you seem positively hostile to them Why? In terms of the basic calendar, task, memo and contacts functions, I don't see many basic functional differences between Palm apps and Agendus. True, Agendus offers a host of tweaks and enhancements, but many of the functions (travel-related, for example) are fairly specialized functions that apply to only a modest fraction of PDA users.
It's true, I do not like the Palm apps at all. As long as Palm has been around you would think they could have modernized them, and maybe built in good multitasking and a host of other things. For me, the Palm is only palatable with Agendus as a front end to the built in apps.

If all you want is basic stuff, the basic apps are fine. If you want an alarm on a todo item, or a repeating to do item, you're out of luck. For me, the repeating todo's and reminders are an important function, maybe not for someone else.

Again, I think that Agendus is good enough that a Palm user should at least try the demo and decide for themselves.

br4978

Registered
I think your perceptions of the Palm apps are a bit dated. My Palm T3 and Palm desktop versions both support repeating Tasks and alarms on tasks. While I doubt you'll be satisfied with anything other than Agendus, you should take another look at the latest versions of all Palm apps. Some of your criticisms seem to relate to outdated versions of the software.

I have no argument with the idea that users wanting more should look at Agendus. My concerns about its bugginess make it not worth my effort, at least with the latest version. I received an email from Iambic today confirming that the bugs I reference earlier in this thread are device-specific (T3 owners beware!), but Iambic expressed optimism that the next version will address these concerns. I only hope other tweaks don't create other bugs (as has been by repeated experience with Agendus).

Best -

- MB

V

Vramin

Perhaps...

br4978 said:
I think your perceptions of the Palm apps are a bit dated. My Palm T3 and Palm desktop versions both support repeating Tasks and alarms on tasks. While I doubt you'll be satisfied with anything other than Agendus, you should take another look at the latest versions of all Palm apps. Some of your criticisms seem to relate to outdated versions of the software.
I actually did go into the default apps and look before I posted that. I have a brand new Palm Treo 700p, and looking at the task list and did not see any way to set a reminder or a report on a task, but I had chosen an undated task. Now I see that setting a due date does indeed give me the option to set a repeat. I stand corrected.
br4978 said:
I have no argument with the idea that users wanting more should look at Agendus. My concerns about its bugginess make it not worth my effort, at least with the latest version. I received an email from Iambic today confirming that the bugs I reference earlier in this thread are device-specific (T3 owners beware!), but Iambic expressed optimism that the next version will address these concerns. I only hope other tweaks don't create other bugs (as has been by repeated experience with Agendus).
I have dealt with Agendus bugs in the past, I won't pretend that there aren't any. It's very difficult to write third party apps that support so many revisions of OS and hardware. They seem to do an admiral job for the scope of the application. I have several apps that I used to use all the time on my Clie that simply will not run without throwing a memory exception on the Treo. I need to get new versions or find something to replace them. So far Agendus has been working famously on my Treo. Now, some of the built in Palm stuff (bluetooth support, most specifically) is incredibly buggy.

ommoran

Registered
br4978 said:
In terms of the basic calendar, task, memo and contacts functions, I don't see many basic functional differences between Palm apps and Agendus.

Especially when the Palm Apps are what Agendus is built on. No Palm Apps, no Agendus...

V

Vramin

ommoran said:
Especially when the Palm Apps are what Agendus is built on. No Palm Apps, no Agendus...
Well, it's not the Palm apps, it's the Palm databases that Agendus works with.

Agendus adds quite a bit of what I see as extra functionality, but apparently others see as bloat.

It's interesting, though, that while I say:

I like Agendus. I don't like the built-in Palm apps.

People hear:

I think Agendus is better than the built-in Palm apps.

There's a huge distinction. Just because I like something doesn't make it "better," just better for me. Seriously, use what you want, use what you like, use what is better for you.

br4978

Registered
Vramin said:
It's interesting, though, that while I say:

I like Agendus. I don't like the built-in Palm apps.

People hear:

I think Agendus is better than the built-in Palm apps.

There's a huge distinction. Just because I like something doesn't make it "better," just better for me. Seriously, use what you want, use what you like, use what is better for you.

Vramin said:
I think the built in Palm apps suck.

Vramin, I think it's a limitation of the written medium we're using. Without hearing you, I have a hard time interpreting the term 'sucks' as anything but disparaging. Guess I'm getting old...;-D

- MB

V

Vramin

br4978 said:
Vramin, I think it's a limitation of the written medium we're using. Without hearing you, I have a hard time interpreting the term 'sucks' as anything but disparaging. Guess I'm getting old...;-D
Heh. So what if I think they suck as long as you don't?

Popeye

Registered
Palm apps or not...

I think Vramin own a huge pile of stocks in a company named Iambic.... ;-)