Anybody else with depression or anxiety disorders?

V

vgarner

Now Habit - Mark Fiore

unstuffed;53461 said:
One thing that might be helpful is Mark Fiore's book The Now Habit. It's about procrastination, but the ideas carry over to trying to do things during a depressive episode. You might also want to look at Procrastination: Why You Do It, What To Do About It, by Jane Burka and Lenora Yuen, for a similar reason.

I would like to also recomend Now Habit- using the Un-Calendar idea along with GTD has helped me struggle through my own issues with focus, procrastination, depression, etc. to keep going.

12hourhalfday

Registered
This is a truly amazing thread! I found it in the search and would like to thank everyone for all the great advice I have read! Seeing all the fixes has really helped me to identify the causes of my anxiety and will help me put together projects and next actions to help with my own anxiety and stress issues. Thanks again to everyone!

RuthMcT

Registered
What a helpful thread - thank you all. Seeing the similarity between my own difficulties and other people's is really making me think about my own mental state. I think for me it's more anxiety than depression, but many of the issues and techniques for handling them still apply.

off to have a think about this....

Ruth

ellobogrande

Registered
GTD saved me from mental meltdown

Before I learned about GTD, I had been trying to manage my life with the traditional time management systems, daily and weekly to-do lists, ABC priority codes, and nothing worked. Gradually I slid into a state of mental chaos; I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't focus, and I couldn't decide what was the best thing for me to do in a given moment.

I suppose I would have been diagnosed with some sort of anxiety disorder had I sought professional help. Depression does run in my family too, and I have experienced that from time to time (not really since I started GTD, though).

I didn't want to seek professional help because deep inside I knew that they couldn't give me what I wanted and needed -- a reliable system for dealing with the commitments in my life -- but they would give me something that I didn't want -- prescription drugs. I know that adverse reactions to prescription drugs are one of the top 3 causes of death in the USA, so I have a negative neuro-association to them. GTD gave me what I needed and so much more. It's also enabled me to make sense of and implement other personal development training I've undertaken (Stephen Covey's "7 Habits", Anthony Robbins's "Get the Edge", etc) more effectively.

GTD solves problems at an operational level. However, as Covey states in "The 7 Habits", we cannot solve problems at or below the level in which they are created. GTD won't solve clinical depression, but it will help relieve mental stress, which will make it easier to deal with the depression.

The best advice I can offer is to keep your mind clear by not filing anything in your head and focus on yourself--love yourself. Take care of your body; put nourishing things into it. Cleanse and detoxify--try a spa treatment or two. Get your body in motion; go for a brisk walk in a beautiful place. Act the opposite of how you feel when you're depressed; even if you have to fake it at first...your brain will catch up to your body.

Best wishes.

budsimp

Registered
I have bi-polar disease

I have currently been diagnosed with bipolar (manic-depressive) disorder but have previously had bouts with anxiety, depression and panic attacks. I am currently doing great but had to taken medications for all of these problems. Mental illness is a disease just like cancer, heart disease or any thing that is "medical" in nature. But it can kill just as easily from suicide. I was just like you when I suffered my first bout with panic and did not even want to tell anyone (even my wife) much less take medication like "crazy people". BUT I strongly encourage you to see medical help (it doesn't have to be a shrink) IMMEDIATELY or you will only become worse and worse. There is nothing to be embarrsed (sp?) about or to fear. You have a serious disease will come back if not treated. Have suffered with mental illness for 40 years and have it in my family history from as long as I know it. Self help, spas etc. are NOT a long term solution. Please know that I am a strong Christian but even it did not help me...it only made me doubt God and Christ. Also know I am happily married for 37 years to a wonderful women who has been my life saver on many occasions. Without her and medications I would have been dead long ago from suicide. I cannot urge you more strongly to get help immediately and don't be afraid of meds. They will save your life. God bless you and you will be in my prayers. Randy Simpson.