Apple Calendar and Reminders integration

David Parker

GTD Connect
It’s rumoured that iOS 18 and macOS 15, due later this year, will integrate the Calendar and Reminders apps so that Reminders can be created directly in the Calender app.

mcogilvie

Registered
Fantastical has this already, but I think the implementation is poor. Fantastical does not support the new features of Reminders introduced in the last few years. I prefer the approach of several 3rd party apps, such as Omnifocus and Things, which show and link calendar events within a daily task list.

The Apple Insider report also suggests AI integration is coming for both Calendar and Reminders. Fantastical has a parser which is supposed to allow you to, for example, lift text like “The program review will be in room 120 at 10 AM Tuesday” and have the event or reminder created for you. In practice, I have found it more trouble than it’s worth and I don’t use it, preferring Apple’s more limited tool. New things are undoubtedly coming. All things bright and shiny, all features great and small….

TesTeq

Registered
All things bright and shiny, all features great and small….
@mcogilvie As I look at the Apple's software development path I see a lot of tensions and the lack of vision. They implement new functionalities that duplicate (instead of replacing) existing functionalities – a total lack of designers' self-confidence.

And Reminders? I think someone at Apple noticed that the design is below average (aka "dead end") and decided to cancel it (aka "integrate with calendar").

mcogilvie

Registered
And Reminders? I think someone at Apple noticed that the design is below average (aka "dead end") and decided to cancel it (aka "integrate with calendar").

It looks to me like Apple is generally much better at hardware and OS/library design than end-user software, as if there is an A team and a B team. Reminders looks like two different B teams at war. My guess is that they don’t want to cannibalise 3rd-party sales in their app stores too much, but do want to look more appealing than Outlook. So I predict some sort of bolted-on additional functionality. At least it will work across all platforms, which is more than Microsoft seems to be able to manage.