Are there any nonweb based ways to do GTD on iPhone?

BillyIdol

Registered
I want to do GTD on iphone, but I don't want it web based because if I go to an area where I can't get the web, I'm stuck.

John

Julian

Registered
Omni Focus

BillyIdol;65661 said:
I want to do GTD on iphone, but I don't want it web based because if I go to an area where I can't get the web, I'm stuck.

John

The Omni Focus iPhone app is a complete stand-alone program. It can sync with a desktop version, but that is not required.

mickmel

Registered
Nozbe works the same way. It's a web (desktop) app, but the iPhone app syncs on command and stores the info locally. If you need to access it on your phone, it doesn't matter if you have web access or not. Make your changes, then just sync next time you have a signal. Works great!

BillyIdol

Registered
Mickmel

Thanks for the help!!

Quick questions

1)What do you mean by storing information locally?

2) What do you mean by next time you have a signal?

Here is what I want from Nozbe (may be it is possible, may be it isn't): I want to be able to use Nozbe on the iPhone (I have a PC at home, Does that mess it up?) without accessing the web on the iPhone (costs a bundle), and then at home I can sync it at home like David Allen does with his Treo 755p. Sometimes, I can't access the web on my phones, so I don't want to be so dependent on web access from the mobile device.

3)I have a PC, can an iPhone sync with a PC?

4) Can I use Nozbe on the iPhone without accessing the web?

Thanks in advance!
John

BillyIdol

Registered
Alsa

Things looks phenomenal, but it looks like it is designed for the Mac, correct?

From iPhone, do I need to access web to use "Things"?

John

mickmel

Registered
BillyIdol;65672 said:
1)What do you mean by storing information locally?
It'll store the information on the phone itself and not require a signal to access it every time.

3)I have a PC, can an iPhone sync with a PC?
Not directly, no.

4) Can I use Nozbe on the iPhone without accessing the web?
Yes.

You need to be able to access the internet on your phone from time to time to be able to sync up Nozbe to keep it the same as your main Nozbe account on your PC. You can sync via Edge, 3G or wi-fi, but not directly from your computer.

mcogilvie

Registered
BillyIdol;65661 said:

John

I'll try to give a more comprehensive answer to your question. First, you have lots of choices, and it can be confusing. There are many decent list-type applications for the iPhone that can be used for GTD. Because you want something that works when you cannot access the web, you will need an application from the Apple app store. There are dozens of simple todo list apps available for free or low cost. If you are only managing your lists on your iphone, one of those might meet your needs. Most people, however, want more, usually an iPhone app with a related desktop or web application that syncs with the iPhone application and provides additional functionality and back-up. You do not need web access to use such applications on your iPhone; the app has its own local data, just as the iPhone Calendar app does. Examples of such applications that I am familiar with:

Toodledo
Remember the Milk
Things
Omnifocus
Appigo Todo

Whatever their suitability is for your particular needs, these are all professional, high-quality programs. Some of these programs sync the iPhone version to a companion web application, some sync to a local application, and at least one (Omnifocus) syncs both iPhone and Mac versions to a remote database. In order to go further, you need to know whether you want:

- iPhone only (not what I would recommend)
- iPhone + Mac
- iPhone + Windows
- iPhone + Mac + Windows

However, if you just want to try something, the Toodledo app is only $4, and syncs to a free web account at toodledo.com. You can create a free account at that url first, and see if this would work for you. The good and bad thing about Toodledo is that it is flexible and full-featured, and can be used in many ways for GTD. You can start by just using the Contexts field, similar to the use of the Palm that David Allen describes.

nondual

Registered
ThinkingRock is a GTD app that is cross-platform, but there's no mobile version.

I use 'Things' for Mac/iPhone. It makes things infinitely easier.

Is there any chance you might get a Mac anytime soon? Anything with an Intel chip (all the new Macs) will let you install Windows on a Boot Camp partition or by using software like 'Parallels'. I had two PCs before finally going Mac, and from a 'letting you get things done without hassle' point of view, they are vastly superior to Windows PCs.

IMHO, YMMV.

funkym

Registered
BillyIdol;65661 said:

John

Man, you should get a BlackBerry for that :)

hgill

Registered
simply use Toodledo, Todo, RTM, Nozbe anyway

All apps I mentioned are inherently webbased.
You wrote that you don't want a web based app, because of times when you are without an internet connection.

No problem here, the toodle app, and apigo's Todo both synchronize with their webbased counterparts, but can work standalone.

These are just the apps I know of, but many others will have the same behaviour.

Greetings

Huibert

letega

Registered
although privacy and confidentiality could be a reason for non web based

I'm actually surprised at how many people are able to use web based programs. I guess my home tasks aren't particularly private, but for my work it would be a issue to have client info on the web. So, in the interest of having everything in only one system, I stick with a desktop to iPhone version. I toggle back and forth between Things and Omnifocus and both are great.

I'm also watching TaskPaper, for it's simplicity. An iPhone client is in the workings.

mickmel

Registered
letega;66448 said:
I guess my home tasks aren't particularly private, but for my work it would be a issue to have client info on the web.
"on the web" and "private" aren't necessarily opposites. I have many things online that are very private -- email, banking, etc. You simply need to research and trust that your data will be safe with the provider you use.

For me, having my GTD on the web is essential -- I can access it from any computer and it works great. Plus, I have the iPhone version that I can access offline, so I'm pretty well covered all the way around.

ceperry

Registered
I have a vested interest since I'm it's author, but Action Lists might be a good fit for the original poster's needs. It was designed for GTD, has a clean interface and optionally syncs with Toodledo. To see if it might fit the bill, you can test drive the free version -- Action Lists Lite.

GTDave

Registered
iPhone Kung Fu setup

I will check out your app! After much trial and error, and a ton of money spent on apps... this is the Kung Fu setup for the iPhone/iPod touch. I use List Omni for my lists. You can set it up any way you want. I use SaiSuki for the calander.