Arranging events. How do you do it?

cfoley

Registered
I'm not sure the way I handle arranging events in my GTD system is ideal.

Here are two events that serve as examples. One is entertaining a group of friends at my house. The other is meeting a friend for coffee.

Two possible desired outcomes for hosting:
  1. Arrangements made to host friends at my house.
  2. I have hosted friends at my house.
I would choose option 2 because some preparation cannot be done too far in advance (e.g. cleaning the house).

Two possible outcomes for coffee.
  1. Time and place agreed for coffee with friend.
  2. I have met my friend for coffee.
Here either option seems reasonable. Option 1 means that I can close the project sooner and reduce the reviewing burden. Option 2 means that I can treat all events in the same manner, and the consistency in approach will avoid doing some rethinking.

How do you handle this?

Matt_M

Registered
To me, this seems less about "arranging" events rather it is about how to most effectively classify event titles. I would simplify to always use past-tense verb phrases: "Met with ...", "Hosted ...", "Scheduled ...", "Cleaned ...", etc. as the "Done" outcome and what it looks like is crystal clear. Consequently, the "Doing" actions are also just as clear. If arrangements and so forth have not yet been made then it is exactly clear what the next physical action is to move forward toward the "Done" outcome is (e.g. "Call Alex to set a time and place for coffee", "Text Robert, Susan, and Maggie to let them know that 3:00 PM on Saturday is when they could arrive at the earliest", etc.).

Until the date and time has already passed, I would keep it as active / requiring routine review as plans may change, venues may need to be re-scheduled, conflicts may occur, etc. so there is non-zero percent chance that it will either need to be rescheduled, postponed, or canceled. I usually keep the actual event/action on my calendar on the date and/or time as appropriate to the action (i.e. "Meet with Will for lunch at Pitti's on 6th Ave at 12:30 PM") so that if I need to update any details or change it, I can easily do so anywhere. As well as so I can view it before and after the event for preparation and retrospection, respectively.

I hope that helps :)

mcogilvie

Registered
I’m not sure any of the examples you give would do me much good. As it happens, my wife and I recently hosted an open house for about 20 family members. Two of our nephews came to town with three new family members we had never seen. Guest list (health status- we invited about 30), timing (babies nap), menu (allergies and other health issues) all required a fair amount of work of time and energy. The whole weekend was great and it was well worth the time and effort. My point is that you can’t capture an event like that with a brief formula of any kind, so why worry about the precise wording when so much lies in the project plans.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
As David says, you have to decide what "done" means.

To me, such projects would not be done when the time and place is agreed (which, by the way, is more a next action than a project in my world), but when we are sat at the table, ready for a good time.

I'm not very picky when it comes to wording, and I even use a lot of present tense, but as long as it's descriptive of my desired outcome, it's off my mind, and I'm not repelled by looking at it, I'm good to go!

Roger

Registered
In considering those two different ways of framing the outcomes, the main difference I notice is: One approach yields an outcome which is largely under my control, while the other is largely out of my control.

I know which I prefer, but I suspect it does just come down to personal preference.

KachriT

Registered
In considering those two different ways of framing the outcomes, the main difference I notice is: One approach yields an outcome which is largely under my control, while the other is largely out of my control.

I know which I prefer, but I suspect it does just come down to personal preference.
I agree, probably personal preference. For me, I can't consider events 'done' until they happen, whether or not all my tasks are complete. The event needs to stay on my radar until I know I don't have any additional actions (attending the event is an 'action' for me) so I'd have the project open until the event had passed. Once my planning and set-up tasks were complete, if I was just waiting for the event to happen, I might move it to 'scheduled' to keep it off my 'Active' list. If details change, it gets pulled back to Active to add whatever tasks are necessary.

ivanjay205

Registered
I find that when I get lazy and rush I leave things half clarified on my list. For example one item on my list write now is to write company announcement for XX employee promotion. Well, that is not really what I have to do. The direct Next Action is to outline my speaking points, after that write Draft 1, after that send to Marketing (our marketing team handles culture) for review, incorporate marketing comments, and last next action is send out to the customer.

Being lazy doesnt work well here :)

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I find that when I get lazy and rush I leave things half clarified on my list. For example one item on my list write now is to write company announcement for XX employee promotion. Well, that is not really what I have to do. The direct Next Action is to outline my speaking points, after that write Draft 1, after that send to Marketing (our marketing team handles culture) for review, incorporate marketing comments, and last next action is send out to the customer.

Being lazy doesnt work well here :)
Earlier, I often tended to write out next actions that were really part of a project, but the way my list manager was set up, I was repelled by the thought of creating projects. After I made a slight alteration to how I manage projects in my list manager, it is now much easier to create projects - and this opened a whole new world for me!

ivanjay205

Registered
Earlier, I often tended to write out next actions that were really part of a project, but the way my list manager was set up, I was repelled by the thought of creating projects. After I made a slight alteration to how I manage projects in my list manager, it is now much easier to create projects - and this opened a whole new world for me!
Yea this is an issue I have with Omnifocus. To create projects I need to jump between screens and it creates a lot of friction for me.

dtj

Registered
My version of that never hits my system. For instance, my Mom visits for like a week every year. My wife creates an exhaustive BJ List ("Before Jan") list, containing my tasks, on like an index card, sometimes on both sides. I then take the list and sequence the items, according to how soon they can be done. Things like "Rinse out and clean guest tub" can be done well ahead of time, while others should be done like the night before. Every year the lists are essentially the same, so I have a good sense of how long it'll take. And then I just treat it like 2 min tasks that get ticked off during the preceding coupla weeks. If it isn't on the list, it doesn't exist. She'll sometimes add to the list as the clock ticks down.

cfoley

Registered
Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful replies.

Until the date and time has already passed, I would keep it as active / requiring routine review as plans may change

This is one of the main things I was wondering when I asked my question. The way I am leaning at the moment is... if there are no next actions, then the event is organised and there is nothing more for me to do. The calendar entry means I will review it regularly, and if someone messages, to rearrange then that is a new input that I can react to appropriately.

Oh, I like this a lot! Thanks!

I'd have the project open until the event had passed. Once my planning and set-up tasks were complete, if I was just waiting for the event to happen, I might move it to 'scheduled' to keep it off my 'Active' list. If details change, it gets pulled back to Active to add whatever tasks are necessary.

This sounds like a good idea to me. It would mean that I would have to create another category of project though which I'm not too sure about.