Back up GTDOutlook!

A

Andre

How does one do a back up of GTD Outlook categories,tasks,etc..just in case my computer would be hit by a virus?

Thanks

Andre

F

Frank Buck

Right-click on the "Outlook Today" icon.
Click on the "Advanced" tab
You will see a pth name for where your data is located (a .pst file)
Close Outlook
Go to that folder and back it up the way you would back up other files.

Hope this helps.
Frank

A

Andre

I cant seem to find That "Advanced" tab you refer to??in outlook today....

Any other Details that could help...

Thank You

Andre

whkratz

Registered
Andre -- It's not actually an "Advanced" tab that you are looking for. Here's what to do:
  • Make sure that your Outlook "Folder List" is open;
  • Right-Click on the topmost folder, which will likely be "Personal Folders" or "Outlook Today";
  • From the dropdown, select "Properties for 'Personal Folders'";
  • In the "Properties" dialog box, look towards the bottom right for the "Advanced" button and click it;
  • In the dialog box that opens, the "Filename" field will show the path to your pst file.
Hope that helps.

A

Anonymous

Outlook Backup

You will find that you will have to enable "Show hidden files" to see the Outlook .pst file.

I have just moved my Outlook file into a folder in My Documents folder. I just makes it easy to back up all my files

Hope this helps a little

I

intrigueme@aol.com

...of course it depends on the data that you want to back up, too....

If you are worried about e-mails, etc...than definitely pursue the Outlook PST options some more (I personally have two or three PST's at work)

If all you are worried about is the info you would find in your "native four" Palm apps - then a simpler and faster way may be the "backup to Palm Desktop" option that Chapura's Pocket Mirror offers. You can do this when you synch ( I do it every so often for the "just in case" factor).

I

intrigueme@aol.com

...of course it depends on the data that you want to back up, too....

If you are worried about e-mails, etc...than definitely pursue the Outlook PST options some more (I personally have two or three PST's at work)

If all you are worried about is the info you would find in your "native four" Palm apps - then a simpler and faster way may be the "backup to Palm Desktop" option that Chapura's Pocket Mirror offers. You can do this when you synch ( I do it every so often for the "just in case" factor).

C

csweningsen

Moving Outlook files for backup

I'd like to move my Outlook files to My Docs, as suggested. How do I do that, and still let Outlook know where they are?

TIA,
Christian

A

Anonymous

backing up pst files automatically

Microsoft has a free download that will automatically backup your PST file each time you exit Outlook.

From the MS website:

Outlook Personal Folders Backup creates backup copies of your .PST files at regular intervals, making it easy to keep all of your Outlook folders safely backed up.

http://office.microsoft.com/search/...BBF6787AFB4148F39&CTT=4&Origin=CD010225901033

I have been using it for about a year and it really is a no-brainer.

Stephen

Burtonpd

Registered
Moving Outlook to My Documents

Right-click on the "Outlook Today" icon.
Click on the "Advanced" tab
You will see a path name for where your data is located (a .pst file)
Close Outlook

Go to that folder and move the .pst file to a folder in your My Douments folder.

When you next start Outlook it won't be able to find the original .pst file and will ask you for the new location. Navigate to this and select the .pst file that you moved. You may get a warning about should Outlook use the default settings, just answer no and close Outlook.

The next time you open Outlook it will display the .pst file in you My Documents folder. You can confirm this by using the procedure above.

I try to keep all my important data in My Documents folder then all I have to do is Back up the one folder.

Good luck