Calendar, Day Specific Actions and Week Specific Actions [With Photo]

J

Jimhardie74

Hey Guys,

Really Quick Question for you today. I have an annual paper diary where each page is dated. This is fairly standard. On the left hand side of the page I have appointments (actions that have to happen that day at a specific time). On the right hand side I have actions that have to be completed that day, but at no specific time. This is also pretty standard in GTD. However, I am slightly unsure what I should do with 'week specific actions'... actions that must be completed in a certain week but on no particular day or time that week. I figured that I could just use my 'next actions' list for these, but I would like to know if any of you guys have another way of dealing with these type of actions.

Thanks for your time, look forward to reading your replies. James.

Attached files

FrancescoPlli

Registered
Hi James, you could use postit note that you can move from day to day within that week or you could create a new context in your next actions list. Something like @WeekXX and move there all the tasks that you need to tackle that week. Hope this helps Francesco

TesTeq

Registered
Jimhardie74 said:
I figured that I could just use my 'next actions' list for these, but I would like to know if any of you guys have another way of dealing with these type of actions.

Maybe you can use Saturdays/Sundays for this purpose?

jenkins

Registered
Jimhardie74 said:
Hey Guys,

Really Quick Question for you today. I have an annual paper diary where each page is dated. This is fairly standard. On the left hand side of the page I have appointments (actions that have to happen that day at a specific time). On the right hand side I have actions that have to be completed that day, but at no specific time. This is also pretty standard in GTD. However, I am slightly unsure what I should do with 'week specific actions'... actions that must be completed in a certain week but on no particular day or time that week. I figured that I could just use my 'next actions' list for these, but I would like to know if any of you guys have another way of dealing with these type of actions.

Thanks for your time, look forward to reading your replies. James.

An action that must be completed in a certain week but on no particular day or time sounds like it has a "deadline." Is that right? If so, put the deadline on your calendar, and that's what serves as a reminder to do the corresponding actions, which should be on a NA list and/or in project support material.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I don't use paper, but I think the jenkins has the right idea. Put the action in the appropriate context list, but also write it in the day section for the last day of the week you can get the action done and still meet the deadline. That way you're assured you won't miss the deadline, and your brain won't have to reclaim the job of remembering what's due when.

One other suggestion: if you think you'll have trouble remembering which tasks in your next action lists are time sensitive, write the due date at the end of the action (ex: Call Joe - get feedback re proposal (due 10/1)). That way you'll have a prompt about what next actions are time sensitive.

To me that would be the best of both worlds -- the flexibility to do the action prior to the deadline if it makes sense, but a reminder in the calendar so you don't forget and blow the deadline. Those who have experience with paper lists may have other suggestions, but if I were a paper user this is how I'd likely do it. Hope that helps!