Creating list of lists with plain vanilla Palm s

severance1970

Registered
Hi all,

There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it section in the GTD Fast seminar CDs where His Daveness mentions having a List category as one of his lists on the Palm: "It lets you create lists of lists -- then you can have an infinite number of lists." Has anyone implemented this approach?

Because I want to experiment with creating checklists ad hoc, I'd really like to bypass the 15-category limit of Palm's To Do app. But I'm having a hard time imagining what DA's describing. I can understand having a list of list headings, but not a list of full lists.

I realize that you can do this with aftermarket apps like Listmaker and Bonzai, which are hierarchical and have no category limit, but if there's a Palm OS native solution, I'd prefer it. Any suggestions?

carrdwight

Registered
MemoLeaf lets you "lookup" notes from the palm note application filtering on the subject line or searching in the body of the note, or both. I still have categories, but I never use them when I am looking for a specific note.

B

Bert

I think the catagory name would be Lists. Then each "task" would be individual list name. Finally, the actual list would go in the notes section of the Palm task. This way, you do have an infinite number of lists available.

CDSca

Registered
I have tried the list category for holding checklists, etc., but I implemented it as a memo category, since that's how I understood DA's mention of it.

It was an intriguing concept for me, but having it outside of the task application took it out of flow and context for me, so I never used the lists in that category.

Also, since I am very much a "checkbox" kind of person, it didn't work too well for my thought processes to not easily be able to check a task complete from the checklist. So, I have gone back to using HandyShopper for reusable checklists, but I am still having problems keeping the lists where I can see and use them.

Chris

J

JonathanAquino

Was frustrated with the 15-category limit. Started using Handyshopper (free Palm app). You have an unlimited number of labels, and you can label an action with multiple labels, enabling you to do some creative things e.g. if you label an action with the context and the project, you can list the actions for a given context or the actions for a given project.

(btw in HandyShopper labels are called "stores").

Love it so far . . .

severance1970

Registered
I think Bert's description is closest to what David was talking about. But once I get the Treo 650 (I'm not adding more software to the 600), I'll download HandyShopper.

J

jmarkey

I use HandyShopper for all of my checklists. I even reassigned one of the buttons to HandyShopper so that I can access it in an instant. It's much more useful than the memo or task function of the Palm because it is specifically designed to work as a checklist and has a lot of flexibility.

J

JonathanAquino

The fact that HandyShopper lets you assign multiple categories to an item puts it over the top for me. Unlimited categories are another plus. And free ain't bad either!

J

JonathanAquino

jmarkey said:
I even reassigned one of the buttons to HandyShopper so that I can access it in an instant.

There's a great little (free) Palm app called EasyLaunch that lets you assign different apps to buttons depending on how long you hold down the button (short, long, very long).

My setup (everything free!)

Button 1 (short) - HandyShopper (of course!)
Button 1 (long) - psMemo (a better Memo interface)
Button 2 (short) - Calendar
Button 2 (long) - Address Book
Button 3 (short) - MessageEase (alternative to Graffiti - steep learning curve, but worth it!)
Button 4 (short) - Email
Button 4 (long) - Digitizer (need it 'cause my Handspring is aging!)
Power (short) - Power
Power (long) - Backlight
Home - Launcher III (the version when it was still free)
Calc - EasyCalc (powerful calculator - with graphing and functions!)
Find - DiddleBug (drawing program)
Swipe Home to Menu - (Yes, EasyLaunch lets you assign apps to swipes!) Plucker (free alternative to AvantGo without limitations)

J

jmarkey

JonathanAquino said:
There's a great little (free) Palm app called EasyLaunch that lets you assign different apps to buttons depending on how long you hold down the button (short, long, very long).

Oh, I definitely have to get that! (and free is my favorite price)
A little tweaking here and there can't hurt....

A

Anonymous

With «Life Balance» (see my separate posting) you have a list for each place. Select "all places" and you have a list of lists :)

Dwayne

Registered
I use KeySuite from Chapura

It costs money, but Chapura's KeySuite is the only task list program I have been able to use and stick with (tried Bonsai and many others). It functions exactly like the built-in ToDo application (with some really nice, unobtrusive extras) and has replacements for memos, calendar, etc. as well.

It is VERY tightly integrated with Outlook, right down to the color coding on notes/memos, notes attached to tasks, and -- MOST importantly -- I have been able to create a bunch of categories (starting in Outlook or the Palm) with no restrictions.

Highly recommended - www.chapura.com (no affiliation with me, by the way, beyond me being a customer).

M

mochant

Got to agree with Dwayne on KeySuite

I've probably tried every PIM for the Palm and have always returned to KeySuite. For heavy Outlook users, it is the most transparent and seamless app I've found. I think Bonsai makes a great companion for managing longer lists, project outlines, etc.

I've just returned to the Palm OS after a two-month fling with the Pocket PC and another month trying just paper. The only productivity apps I've installed are KeySuite and Bonsai - I'm going to try to keep things simple.

FWIW, I truly hated the PPC experience. While there was a lot to like in Pocket Informant (very nice app), the platform just did not get the job done for me. And the fact that the unit I was using would wipe out all of my data when the batteries ran out (not exclusive to this particular unit I've learned) was a deal breaker. Good thing I'm really disciplined about backing up.

I will continue to use paper though. The magic of ink on paper is something I had forgotten and I'm trying to do abit of journaling every day. It's very nice therapy and a good way to do a brain dump on a particularly challenging day.

A

Anonymous

The Palm native apps are not that great. Don't limit yourself to them; there's almost no advantage when so many great alternatives are out there. I almost abandoned my PDA till I found better apps.

I use and love HandyShopper for all kinds of checklists. It lets you organize across 2 dimensions rather than just one. So the usefulness is exponentially greater. :) And it lets you include and sort by multiple fields for each item. It is lightyears beyond the built-in memo or todo apps for this.

It is obviously a great tool for shopping lists. I shop mostly at Trader Joe's and gradually built up a huge list of things I buy frequently or occasionally (I love food). With HandyShopper, you can sort by aisle. Since I had such a long list, I took the trouble of entering all the aisles. So now I just follow a certain path through the store, seeing what I need to see and checking it off (it disappears from the list) as I go. I have cut my grocery shopping time in half and reduced my errors of omission to almost zero. It has really reduced the hassle of a previously hated chore.

I use and love Life Balance for actions, projects, areas of focus, etc. It is lightyears beyond the native todo app.

I use and like DayNotez for journal entries. All my completed actions are automatically logged from Life Balance. Anything involving significant entry, though, I do on the desktop version. Graffiti is almost bad enough to make me want to abandon the PDA, but I can't; I'm too dependent on it now.

-andersons

J

JonathanAquino

andersons said:
Graffiti is almost bad enough to make me want to abandon the PDA, but I can't; I'm too dependent on it now.

May I suggest as an alternative input method: MessagEase? It's a 3x3 grid from which you can do small letters, capital letters, numbers, and all manner of punctuation marks -- all with a combination of taps, swipes, and circles.

The on-screen keyboard is free - I use it all the time: http://www.exideas.com/ME/Downloads.html

Warning: MessagEase has a steep learning curve ... but for the speed it gets you, it's worth it!

A

Anonymous

JonathanAquino said:
May I suggest as an alternative input method: MessagEase?

Thanks, Jonathan, I'll check it out. I confess "steep learning curve" doesn't appeal to me. . .but Grafitti IS bad. I try to enter almost all text from the desktop and then sync. But when I'm not at my desktop, Graffiti is a source of frustration.

I have sometimes thought that Graffiti seems bad partly because my processor is too slow. I have a pretty low-end PDA, and it's slow for everything. If that's the source of the problem, do you think MessagEase would circumvent it?

Thanks,
andersons

J

JonathanAquino

andersons said:
JonathanAquino said:
May I suggest as an alternative input method: MessagEase?

Thanks, Jonathan, I'll check it out. I confess "steep learning curve" doesn't appeal to me. . .but Grafitti IS bad. I try to enter almost all text from the desktop and then sync. But when I'm not at my desktop, Graffiti is a source of frustration.

I have sometimes thought that Graffiti seems bad partly because my processor is too slow. I have a pretty low-end PDA, and it's slow for everything. If that's the source of the problem, do you think MessagEase would circumvent it?

Thanks,
andersons

Hi andersons - MessagEase could very well circumvent your slow-processor problem, as the input is very simple: taps, swipes, and circles. The onscreen version is free for Palm, so give it a whirl! http://www.exideas.com/ME/Downloads.html

severance1970

Registered
I did try Handyshopper, but ultimately I opted for the plain vanilla method of creating a Lists category, then putting each list in the Note field of each List item. Handyshopper's default rubric of shopping is too distracting for my tastes, although I realize that it can be adapted for any application.

I do try to use the built-in apps whenever possible. I'd rather learn how to use a tool well and make the most out of it than keep searching for new tools the moment I run into the slightest limitations.