David; There is no PALM anymore. What now?

Pat Tellez

Registered
Dear David and/or GTD community, I am new to the forum. Have been studying the GTD material and pretend to start its application this coming monday. What IPAD App do you recommend the most for GTD? :confused:

mcogilvie

Registered
Pat Tellez;94822 said:
Dear David and/or GTD community, I am new to the forum. Have been studying the GTD material and pretend to start its application this coming monday. What IPAD App do you recommend the most for GTD? :confused:

What do you use besides an iPad? If you are a mac user, Omnifocus is very, very good. If not, Toodledo is serviceable.

Toby Jarvis

Registered
The iPad has now pretty much taken over as my primary GTD tool.

• OmniFocus for my list manager (areas of focus, projects and next actions, plus checklists and the like)
  • Dropbox and Evernote for much of my reference and project-support material (early days with Evernote, but it's looking promising)
  • iThoughtsHD for mind mapping (also early days, but looking good so far)
  • Mail, Calendar, Contacts and 1Password for...well, you get it...
  • Quickoffice for online/offline viewing and editing of word-processing documents, spreadsheets and presentations
  • Ignition/LogMeIn for remote access of my other computers

Hope that helps!

G

Evernote (EN) user for I think at least 2 years.

Like the concept of reminders on iOS (generated from Tasks in Outlook [OL] for me).

I'm hoping that iOS reminders become more refined and flexible. I can't even figure out how the reminders are prioritized/sorted on the screen. Also a reminder created in iOS does not have a "due date" in OL.

I thought I had read that EN is planning on creating a due date function. This may really take EN to a new level for GTD'rs. Now if EN had a calendar, I might do away with OL altogether and just use my EN email address for everything.

ScottL

Registered
Contrary opinion: if you need complexity of omnifocus, fine, but if not...

but if you don't, pick something simpler e.g. Things, any outliner, etc.

If you are asking about no palm anymore, you may want simplest thing possible, which is not omnifocus.

my 3c (inflation).

Mark Jantzen

Registered
My System

I think OmniFocus' learning curve is worth the trip!

It's a little complicated but not really. Outcomes & next actions.

I came to my present system from Outlook synced to a Treo. On the iPad/iPhone I've chosen apps to function as those Outlook components. I like these tools better because they REALLY sync to the desktop.

Calendar - Apple iCal
Lists - OmniFocus; specifically runway & 10-20,000 foot horizons
Email - Apple Mail
Contacts - Apple Address Book
Notes - Evernote & 1Password

OmniFocus and Mind Manager (action support & 30-50k horizons) are the places where most of my content resides.

sholden

Registered
On my iPad I use Toodledo for Tasks, Projects, etc and iThoughtHD for my MindMap project reference, checklists, etc. My general reference tool is Evernote. Between those three my system is pretty complete on the iPad and Toodledo/Evernote and to some extent MindMaps can also be down directly on any computer with an Internet connection and a browser.

Terry B.

Registered
Most of the better designed apps have trial versions for the Mac/PC though not so many for iOS devices so I would suggest trying a few versions out and seeing what you like.

That being said, I feel that picking an app and building your system around that is like putting the cart before the ox or whatever idiom you want to use - any of the full-featured apps would be fine though you won't like all of them.

PeterW

Registered
Appigo Todo is great - there are versions for iPhone, iPad, Mac and an online web service so you can sync them all. I've been using the iPhone app for a few years and recently purchased the Mac and Online version. Very happy with them.

bluepeak

Registered
If you're an iPhone user, I'd recommend adding Ideas - Idea generation assistant to the mix. You can use it to help you come up with ideas and keep them organized in accordance to GTD principles. Also, you can export to Omnifocus, which I agree with previous posters is the most comprehensive general purpose GTD app.

Regards, Uros

mcogilvie

Registered
bluepeak;96399 said:
If you're an iPhone user, I'd recommend adding Ideas - Idea generation assistant to the mix. You can use it to help you come up with ideas and keep them organized in accordance to GTD principles. Also, you can export to Omnifocus, which I agree with previous posters is the most comprehensive general purpose GTD app.

Regards, Uros

And you should know how good Ideas is, because you're the developer and it was just released. (It's nice to let people know these things explicitly.)

DenaDahilig

Registered
good catch

mcogilvie;96404 said:
...you're the developer and it was just released.

I agree with mcogilvie on this one, Uros. You would have more success in this forum by asking this group to evaluate your app. We're always looking for tools to help our productivity, aren't we? And our feedback might even make your app better.

If you had said that you were the developer, I'll bet you would have made sales simply because we (and, really, I'm only speaking for myself here...) want to support people who are supporting GTD. And 99 cents isn't a ridiculous cost.

So, I wish you luck with this one, but I suggest a different approach for your next app.

Dena

bluepeak

Registered
artsinaction;96405 said:
I agree with mcogilvie on this one, Uros. You would have more success in this forum by asking this group to evaluate your app. We're always looking for tools to help our productivity, aren't we? And our feedback might even make your app better.

If you had said that you were the developer, I'll bet you would have made sales simply because we (and, really, I'm only speaking for myself here...) want to support people who are supporting GTD. And 99 cents isn't a ridiculous cost.

So, I wish you luck with this one, but I suggest a different approach for your next app.

Dena

Wasn't really trying to hide anything - my forum name is the same as the domain of the app web site. However I'll agree with you that I should have explicitly noted my affiliation with the app.

Regards, Uros