Desktop ToDo entry

S

SteadyEdd

Having reverted to a 'vanilla' set up I'm looking for a rapid method for entering ToDo's using my PC. My previous setup used Bonsai and I could enter entries there very quickly. Now that I'm using the Palm ToDo (and to a lesser extent Memo) app to 'do' my GTD'ing I need to speed up my desktop entry. The Palm Desktop isn't quick enough for my liking. There aren't any keyboard shortcuts for switching Categories which although it doesn't sound much it's a real deterent for me. Is there an alternative Windows alternative that will synch with the Palm Desktop databases or directly, through HotSynch, to the Palm? I've done a little VB programming in the past and knocking up a small dedicated app for entering the info wouldn't present a problem but the Conduit stuff would be new territory. Does anyone have any pointers for accessing the DAT files directly (if this is possible)?

Regards

Edward

S

SteadyEdd

Should mention that Outlook's not an option. We use Groupwise here and it isn't what I want to use for this purpose (nor is ideal for adding all my Next Actions).

Regards

Edward

Y

yuryg

Try Yahoo Calendar, it will Sync, and it is web based, so it might provide a good choice.

If you use some methodology for creating the projects and so on you should be able to do it and sync successfully.

http://calendar.yahoo.com

gekko

Registered
Import from text file?

If you have large numbers of todos to input, perhaps whack them in a flat (text) file in the correct format and import into desktop? Just tested it on my Mac and it worked.

I use vanilla Palm too but don't enter large numbers of items at once so it hasn't come up as an issue for me.

S

SteadyEdd

Gekko,

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't considered that. Unfortunatley my Windows version of Palm Desktop (ver 4.1) doesn't support importing ToDo's in any format other that its own TDA (ToDo Archive) format.

Thanks again for the suggestion

Edward

1drummergirl

Registered
Alt+N = New Todo

Enter text

Alt+C = Jumps to todo Categories

Arrow keys select category

Alt+O= OK

What more are you looking for?

S

SteadyEdd

1DrummerGirl - It was the missing shortcuts in the main Desktop view (switching Categories to look at my NA contexts) that I found were inconvenient - creating a new ToDo automatically 'inherited' the current Category which may not have been the Category (@Context) that I wanted. However I hadn't thought about changing Category in the entry screen (oops!). I know that sounds ridiculous and I'm kicking myself as we speak ;-)

Thank you for the suggestion. Talk about trying to crack a walnut with a sledgehammer !!

Regards

Edward

Esquire

Registered
'nother question

While we're on this topic, when entering a new "to-do" is there a shortcut to assign a priority other than "1" via keyboard?

It seems like there oughta be, but for the life of me I can't find it and have to grab the mouse and click on "2" or "3" or whatever.

Thanks.

S

SteadyEdd

Esquire,

Other than pressing ALT+r and arrowing along until the desired priority is highlighted there isn't a single shortcut. I don't use priorities anyway but hope the above helps.
Regards
Edward

Esquire

Registered
Edward, "alt+r" and arrowing over will move the "cursor" to the other priorities, but I can't find a way to actually "select" those other priorities. I.E., I alt-R and arrow over to "5", but even if I hit ENTER, the priority assigned is still "1".

S

sstrauss

Not sure if this applies but on the Pocket PC there is an app that lets you bring up the handheld screen on your desktop. That way you use the destop screen and keyboard to make direct entries on the handheld. It eliminates syncing altogether.

Scott

S

SteadyEdd

Thanks to all that have contributed ideas. To be honest I've decide to use my Palm directly to maintain my NA's etc rather than through the Desktop. For some reason that I can't put my finger on I'm not comfortable with the desktop. If I discover an application that suits or get round to understanding how to program one then I may change my mind.

Regards

Edward

carrdwight

Registered
Anagram

Anagram might help. You can enter tasks, events, addresses and notes on your desktop in whatever application you are in without opening the palm desktop. Simple and quick way to highlight text and hit the hot key for a dialog to pop up.

Dwight...