Digital Voice Recorders

admsteiner

Registered
Does anyone use these? I'm thinking of getting one to jot down ideas and what to do - instead of writing it down (especially when I'm on the road). The idea is to record on the go, and when I get home/office, the recorder just gets dropped to my inbox for processing.

TIA

quantumgardener

Registered
admsteiner;52535 said:
Does anyone use these? I'm thinking of getting one to jot down ideas and what to do - instead of writing it down (especially when I'm on the road). The idea is to record on the go, and when I get home/office, the recorder just gets dropped to my inbox for processing.

TIA

I've tried this in the past and found the act of processing the information and transcribing the note into my GTD system dissolves all benefits.

Having said that,
- dictation of notes is easier and likely safer than writing when driving
- dictation of bigger bodies of text works well

Otherwise pen and paper it is.

David

cornell

Registered
I use one for capturing notes from books I read, but not for other capture. I did try it for a while, speaking actions, someday/maybes, etc., but - like quantumgardener - I found processing it (esp. daily) to be too much of a burden. I don't commute much, though.

That said, if it appeals to you, maybe give it a try?

(As an aside, I did a "4-hour workweek" outsourcing experiment with voice notes; more at The 4-hour workweek applied: How I spent $100, saved hours, and boosted my reading workflow)

L

loraneb

Instead of having one more gadget, why not use your cell phone with Jott? You call it and tell it who you want to send a message to (it could be your email) and give it the message. It will transcribe using speech recognition and send the message where you have asked it to go.

I like it because I can have it email my office email or my home email, depending on what I want to Jott!

HTH,

Lorane

sdhill

Registered
VR+ for BlackBerry

You know I pondered over the very same issue of whether to get a digital voice recorder or not for about two weeks. On the one hand I find myself in the car a lot with great ideas or thoughts I need to get out of my head. On the other hand (and I can

barloo

Registered
Voice Minder

I had the same issue in that I have a lot of ideas whilst driving but then forget to process the recording.

However I just started using Voice Minder from WebIS. I have it set to a key on my pocket PC so it records single handed. Then it e-mails the voice file to me so I can process it along with my regular e-mail. What's more using the GTD outlook add-in, I can very easily create an action and then access the recording subsequently through the open mail feature in the addin. I have found myself using it literally all the time.

If anything it's to efficient as a college asked me the other day why I talk to myself in the lavatory as I now have the habit of getting things done whilst getting things done if you know what I mean. :oops:

sdhill

Registered
VR+ for BlackBerry

Same issue for me - couldn't bring myself to carry another device around even though I really wanted something to get stuff out of my head while in the car. Loaded the USD$20 VR+ onto my BlackBerry 8800 and now I can create memos on the go. Better still I too can email them to myself so that they end up in my inbox for later processing. Extraordinarily handy and I'm so glad I didn't buy a seperate DVR.

Simon

jrdouce

Registered
The closest I get to "mind like water" is commutating, flooding my mind with ideas I can't record while driving. I used the voice recorder effectively on my old Tungsten, I didn't download every day, but I didn't loose the ideanotes. I will not carry a dedicated voice recorder, the last think I need it another device. The record option on my phone is more labor intensive than a pencil and paper, but Lorane's Jott option sounds like it has potential. I'll be looking into it.

howman

Registered
Ditto Lorane. Jott is great. Just go to Jott.com and register for free.

One caveat, Jott only records in 15 second segments. It's good for capturing reminders and short "notes to self", but it is not good for long note taking.

Good luck!

admsteiner

Registered
I travel a lot on subways in NYC also, the lack of cell reception (thank god!) is one reason I'm looking for alternatives to Jott.

I'm probably going to give the voice recorder a try. I just have to find a good one. Research always takes the most time :)

D

dlpasco

quantumgardener;52537 said:
I've tried this in the past and found the act of processing the information and transcribing the note into my GTD system dissolves all benefits.

Having said that,
- dictation of notes is easier and likely safer than writing when driving
- dictation of bigger bodies of text works well

Otherwise pen and paper it is.

David

You might want to look at Mentat, our recently released task management system. It features Jott integration for taking down notes on the go. You simply speed dial Jott, state the project you want the task added to, and then dictate the task summary. The Jott service transcribes the task summary and our web service automatically inserts the task into the project you specified.

This clearly doesn't address loss of signal, but we're also working on systems that will allow you to create or update tasks using text entry on your mobile device. These will eventuallly be able to sync the updated tasks back with your regular project data.

quantumgardener

Registered
dlpasco;52626 said:
You might want to look at Mentat, our recently released task management system. It features Jott integration for taking down notes on the go. You simply speed dial Jott, state the project you want the task added to, and then dictate the task summary. The Jott service transcribes the task summary and our web service automatically inserts the task into the project you specified.

Thanks for the tip. We don't have that much Jott connectivity here in Australia :-D

Barry

Registered
I tried this for a while. I had a few issues. One off-brand DVR seemed to consume batteries quickly and was always dead. One very cheap toy of a DVR had such poor sound that I couldn’t understand the message. One name brand unit worked well and was convenient (I can’t remember the model or brand, but it was probably Sony or Panasonic). These things seem bulkier than necessary, almost the size of a cell phone. A budget of about $35-$50 should get a good one and they are carried at Target and office supply stores.

Once I discovered Jott, I just went with that to minimize the number of gadgets I have to maintain. If Jott is not an option for whatever reason, then I think it makes sense to keep a DVR or something similar (such as a PDA or phone with recording feature) in your car. It really isn’t safe to write while driving, but the car is a good place to think.

I used to scribble the notes right there in the car at the end of the drive so that I could get it into written form and into my system without having to carry the DVR back and forth to the car and most likely leave it somewhere. Plus, I didn’t want to play my notes at work with my coworkers overhearing my reminders to “buy hemorrhoid cream.”

J

jaludwick

Use Jott

It's a free service, you can organize anything.

www.jott.com

I don't need my recorder anymore - just my cell phone.
J

Barb

Registered
Be careful with Jott

A few weeks ago I received someone else's Jott information!! I alerted Jott and they actually called me to tell me they were working through it. Just be sure you never put anything confidential on that service...remember, it's still in BETA. Frankly, getting somebody elses' info once was enough for me!

T

Techstyle

You could try one of the models from Denpa. The VT-50 Digital Voice Recorder or the MP-38 Digital Voice Recorder. Both products are available with 1Gb memory, the VT-50 records in MP3 format giving 283 hours recording for 1Gb of memory, MP-38 records in WAV allowing 141 hours for the same memory size.

Both have FM radio's and can be used as MP3 players for listening to music during the comute. They can be used with the Digital Voice Recorder Wireless Microphone for remote recording up to a distance of 20 Metres and the Digital Voice Recorder AC adapter. Both Digital Voice Recorders come with an adapter to allow the device to be used for recording telephone calls (non-PBX type).