Do I delete completed next actions from my action list?

D

dwilzon

What do you do with the action after it has been completed? Do you delete it or archive it for later reference?

F

Frank Buck

Most often, I check it as done. (Performing a search will return items that are completed as well as archived items in Outlook).

There are times when I replace the action just completed with the next action. This is particularly true if I have information in the note section (notes from phone call regarding the completed action) that I may need.

If the item appears to be something of "lasting value" (again, probably because of documentation in the notes section), I drag the task (in Outlook) to the "Notes" icon and add the date as the very first thing in the first line of the note.

tallmarvin

Registered
I delete. Unless you are in a business environment where documentation of all your 'done' activities are required, just delete and move on to the next action. What you have already 'done' should be self-evident...a done action is reminder enough for me.

Getting buried in self-reporting is a form of water torture. Make things easier on yourself and your system by deleting items that are completed.

A

Anonymous

Thank you.

tallmarvin said:
Getting buried in self-reporting is a form of water torture. Make things easier on yourself and your system by deleting items that are completed.

Thank you for your comments! The whole purpose of GTD is to become like water, not be tortured by it!

A

AMS

I also delete and get it out of my way. Easier for me to move forward then.

E

Electronic Perceptions

I mark it done and eventually archive it. This is for historical/reference purposes -- if I ever need to look back at discussions, agreements, decisions, confirmation numbers, etc, -- I can do so easily.

The main reason though, is the satisfaction I get from it. Being able to look back through the day/week/month and seeing everything I've accomplished makes me feel productive... as if I'm getting somewhere.

My few cents :)
Kathy

H

helenjc

I delete them at the end of the month but before I do so I scan them all to
1) like Kathy feel 'proud' that although I felt like I wasn't getting much done that I actually DID achieve a lot
2) also like Kathy, occasionally some vital piece of information slips through the cracks - someone's cell phone number that didn't get entered from a new business contact etc - the name of someone in a store that I didn't note in my contacts but is on a completed to do....etc...

Just occasionally I've been glad they're there.....

cheers
Helen