Do I want too much??

lazarus

Registered
I use a Mac, iPad, and iPhone, and I want a GTD app I can use on all of them without necessarily being online. Right now I use Things, and like it, but the syncing does not work well, and I want my GTD app to sync automatically to the cloud.

It seems like my main option is:
Omnifocus + Mobileme, which will cost me $140 for the whole OmniFocus suite plus $99/ year for Mobileme.

This seems like a huge outlay of money, and I hate the idea of having to pay for Mobileme for the rest of my life in order to keep everything working.

I'm seeing other apps and services out there like ToDo online, and various other apps that can be synced using Toodledoo, but nothing that works as seamlessly on- and offline as well as the OmniFocus + Mobileme setup is purported to.

So the question is: does anyone use a setup that does what I'm describing but at less cost?
AND: does anyone use this setup and feel that it's worth it? And does it work well?

TIA...

Oogiem

Registered
lazarus;83467 said:
So the question is: does anyone use a setup that does what I'm describing but at less cost?

I use just the Omnifocus part and sync via Bonjour on my own internal WiFi net so no mobile me cost at all. But then I do not like cloud apps and don't want my personal data on the Apple servers. The only other option would be to look into Omnifocus' free sync server. I've never used it but it's supposed to be like MobileMe and in the cloud but in the OF cloud not Apple. No idea how it works, I won't use it but might be an option.

lazarus

Registered
Thanks so much for your response. Are you impressed with OmniFocus's functions? I am basically happy with Things and am not sure I should make a switch if I'm going to wind up manually syncing anyway.

Thanks again--

Oogiem

Registered
lazarus;83504 said:
Are you impressed with OmniFocus's functions?....

not sure I should make a switch if I'm going to wind up manually syncing anyway.

Absolutely love how Omnifocus makes it easy to track projects, actions and especially review.

You don't manually sync, it syncs automatically any time you are within range of your home wifi with Omnifocus up on both the handheld (iPhone or iPod Touch, I use an iPod) and the Mac. You can choose to sync manually but I rarely do.

PeterW

Registered
There is a cloud-based GTD solution named Nirvana that is currently in beta (and therefore free to use). They are about to release an upgraded version that has offline capability. It's rumoured to be available within days so perhaps this might suit.

PeterW

Registered
lazarus;83467 said:
It seems like my main option is:
Omnifocus + Mobileme, which will cost me $140 for the whole OmniFocus suite plus $99/ year for Mobileme.

This seems like a huge outlay of money, and I hate the idea of having to pay for Mobileme for the rest of my life in order to keep everything working.
I forgot to add that if you do go with MobileMe, it's worth taking a look on eBay rather than purchasing direct online from Apple. There are a number of sellers on eBay who have substantially discounted prices. I've done the last two renewals this was and saved a lot. The sellers typically just send you the serial/activation number via email the same day.

lazarus

Registered
Thanks so much, these are great tips. I didn't know Mobileme could be had on eBay, and that makes a huge difference.

chipjoyce

Registered
synching via Swiss Disk

Instead of MobileMe, research Swiss Disk. It's a free way to synch Omnifocus among multiple devices (e.g. Mac, iPhone, iPad). I have used it for a year and it's great.

Kourosh

Registered
Syncing in OmniFocus

If you have server space somewhere on your own whether you rent or own, you could also use their WebDAV solution. The Swiss Disk method, I believe works along these lines.

LordCope

Registered
lazarus;83467 said:
I use a Mac, iPad, and iPhone, and I want a GTD app I can use on all of them without necessarily being online. Right now I use Things, and like it, but the syncing does not work well, and I want my GTD app to sync automatically to the cloud.

What is it about the sync that isn't working well? I had issues trying to sync iphone, ipad and *two* macbooks, but now I've dropped down to only one macbook, it's fine. I can even sync when not in a wireless area by creating an ad hoc network. I do this on the train.

Why do you want your GTD app to sync to the cloud? What problem are you trying to solve? If you're worried about backups of your Things database, then you're worried about backups anyway, and need to solve that problem. I can't see of any other reason to want to sync with the cloud. FWIW I use Dropbox as a second line of defense for my stuff, as well as Timemachine backups.

S.

mcogilvie

Registered
LordCope;83642 said:
What is it about the sync that isn't working well? I had issues trying to sync iphone, ipad and *two* macbooks, but now I've dropped down to only one macbook, it's fine. I can even sync when not in a wireless area by creating an ad hoc network. I do this on the train.

If you are willing to stop using Things on multiple machines, set up an ad hoc network to sync, and juggle iPad, iPhone and MacBook while syncing, then I guess it works for you. It doesn't work for me. Cultured Code keeps getting hammered over syncing, and I think rightly so. Otherwise Things is ok.

LordCope

Registered
mcogilvie;83643 said:
If you are willing to stop using Things on multiple machines, set up an ad hoc network to sync, and juggle iPad, iPhone and MacBook while syncing, then I guess it works for you. It doesn't work for me. Cultured Code keeps getting hammered over syncing, and I think rightly so. Otherwise Things is ok.

Things on multiple machines was a nightmare, I won't doubt it. If I had to do that again, I'd use something different.

The adhoc network for syncing when not on a wireless network isn't a problem.

I do see what you mean about device juggling though!

What do you use? I've heard good things about Omnifocus...

S.

mcogilvie

Registered
LordCope;83646 said:
What do you use? I've heard good things about Omnifocus...

I've been bouncing between Omnifocus and Toodledo. Toodledo is fast to sync and very flexible, but does not support the association of projects and next actions as well as Things or Omnifocus. Omnifocus is less flexible and slower to sync than both Things and Toodledo, even with the new Omni server rather than MobileMe. It's the only one of the three that really supports sequential and parallel next actions. It has a ponderous user interface, and I think it probably appeals the most to people who want to Plan with a capital P. The iPad UI is very well done. If Cultured Code ever gets real syncing to work, I will probably give Things a try again. None of the three really are really great for me, but they are all adequate.

DavidS

Registered
I am using OmniFocus on Mac, iPhone and iPad. It is syncing via WebDAV to five devices (three Macs, one iPhone and one iPad) and I am extremely happy with the syncing performance. Fortunately, my organization provides a WebDAV space.

I use OF for Mac to process my inboxes. Most of my input comes from email (Mail.app). I use the OF clipping shortcut to process email and the MsgFiler add-in to Mail to quickly organize (file). I have found it is well worth the effort to learn OF shortcuts and to customize the Perspectives.

OF for iPad has a very nice interface and I prefer to do my Weekly Review on it once I've cleared my inboxes. OF for iPhone is really just used for reading my lists on the go. I still prefer paper for capture.

tedcates

Registered
I use Toodledo and it does pretty much everything you're asking for with the web-based and iPhone/iPad apps. It even works on PC's and a Blackberry and I even print it out occasionally.