DO: Shifting from as it shows up to predefined

Bohemia

Registered
I own a small business (20 people) and for 7 years, have been the sales force of one, doing all sales (quoting, follow up, customer service). The sales function took up about half of my time. Volume was increasing to the level that my responsiveness was at risk, so I hired an Inside Sales Manager 6 months ago. It has been my most liberating hire to date. :)

The first 3 months, my workload was actually heavier, as I was training her. The 3 months after that I played catch-up on a backlog of important stuff that had been shunted aside in my prioritization of customers above most else. I'm now able to finally start digging in to "working on my business" sorts of things, and attacking projects that will take multiple actions over time, some of which I'll own and some of which I'll be monitoring my staff doing them. I LOVE being in this position, and started GTD in earnest about 2 months ago, to capture all this stuff and organize it for the doing.

When I wore the Sales hat, my "doing" was nearly all dictated by "as it shows up." Incoming phone calls and emails, most relating to sales and customer service provided me a constant work list, and I kept busy responding and keeping things moving. Thinking stuff as well as more mindless things like payroll, A/P, and analytical stuff (I'm still wearing the Controller/CFO hat) went into an "after 5 pm" stack.

Now I may only get 1 or 2 phone calls a day. And when I check my email on the same frequency as before, I often find nothing to do, or just a few things I'm cc'd on that require no action. So I have the amazing freedom to pick what I work on and when I work on it.

So given that I love being in this position, why is it so hard for me to break this habit, to move from doing work as it shows up to doing predefined work (or defining it)? By "hard" I mean "not natural." I'll go to my email, find nothing to do, and float for a bit, directionless. Then I have to talk to myself, saying "go to Wunderlist and see what you've starred." And while that is helping to focus me, I'm still easily distracted by a stack of checks showing up in my inbox to be signed, or a question from an employee that after answered gives me an idea of another project/action and I end up chasing that down for a bit instead of putting it into my inbox for later consideration.

Any ideas on how to yank my brain out of firefighting mode into working from my pre-defined lists without distraction?

ArcCaster

Registered
I too would love a good answer to this.

For me, the shift was from teaching to writing. The difference between the two is the tightness of the feedback loop between me and live human beings -- when you are in front of a class, your feedback occurs every second, whether verbal or non-verbal -- so you continually adjust in response to what you see in front of you. When you write, that feedback loop is basically missing. So the question is, what is a good replacement for that feedback loop.

My initial take is to go back to a method I used before teaching -- every day, envision my desired outcomes and end results for each day -- so my 'feedback loop' is now between what I have envisioned and what I see -- but so far, it just doesn't have the immediacy and force of frequent interaction with fellow human beings.

Although Bohemia is talking about a shift in management responsibilities, and I am talking about a shift as an individual contributor, I think we are talking about the same thing. Perhaps two such kinda different perspectives will help in identifying a remedy for what is happening.

mcogilvie

Registered
I think for most people a shift in life the balance of work takes time to settle in, and you may need more time. it may be helpful to think of the actions on your list as stuff that shows up on a menu of things you could do. If you choose to do something else more important to you in the moment, that's your choice to make. However, if you are putting off things on your list until your internal demon says you have to do them, you may need to work on an addiction to stress. On the other hand, its also possible your next actions are not inviting to you. I think the best next actions look like easy wins: I can knock that sucker off or push that thing forward and that will feel great.

Bohemia

Registered
Ok I've duly added "try out GTD Connect when I know I'll have sufficient time over a 2-week period to poke around in it" to my inbox. :)

hmmm, addiction to stress. Interesting hypothesis. Perhaps in the "habit I can't control" sense, but not the "I secretly love this" sense.

I've been trying to be very self-aware this week of my attitude towards my action list. Many of the things on my lists are actually things that I really want to do. I find my mental state is telling me I can't indulge because there a bunch of things more urgent, even if that's not the case anymore. Or that they will take some focused time to do properly, and since I'm not used to having focused time available, I postpone them. I did take a couple analytical projects from a list today and knocked them out. One was pretty quick and the other sent me down a couple rabbit holes digging up data, but I got the bottom line answer that I needed. Felt good.

And a couple direct reports have emailed or dropped in wanting decisions on things that will take some time and discussion, and aren't urgent, and I put them off rather than dropping everything and refocusing. One of our core values is responsiveness, so that's tough to do.

Maybe I need to make one of those 2x2 grids of important/urgent and plot all my projects in them so I can visualize from 5000 feet where I need to be focusing. And that perspective will snap me out of reactive mode.

TesTeq

Registered
Bohemia said:
And a couple direct reports have emailed or dropped in wanting decisions on things that will take some time and discussion, and aren't urgent, and I put them off rather than dropping everything and refocusing. One of our core values is responsiveness, so that's tough to do.

What was happening to such decisions previously - when you had no time for them, when you were more busy?

Bohemia

Registered
TesTeq said:
What was happening to such decisions previously - when you had no time for them, when you were more busy?

I would either let them interrupt me, and I'd take care of it right then. Or I'd put it on my to do list and not get it done or get it done way later than I should. :-/

Hi Bohemia: I realize I'm late to this thread but how is your "predefined vs show up" work flow going? I related a lot to your struggle. I'm an intrepreneur with a large bank. I'm a strong individual contributor responsible for a ton of results without a ton of formal authority. I like my job a lot but because I get so much freedom to work the way I want. I also break my own GTD processes or rules because no one holds me to them, but ME! For me, when I'm on my GTD game, I consistently refer to my outcome statements. My objectives have a strong verb and language that shows the tone of what I'm setting out to do like: Spectacularly Facilitate Focus Groups or Brilliantly Lead 2016 Intern Program to Thunderous Applause from Dept. Leadership. By having these over-the-top objectives, I truly know when I'm off my GTD game because I can tell when the current actions I'm taking do not reflect the tone or sense of completion that my objectives state. Is what I'm doing in the moment really going to end with "thunderous applause" or allow me to be "spectacular" in any way? If not, then I have fallen off my GTD surfboard and I need to find the right wave again that gets me where I want to go. Cowabunga, dude! I hope GTD is working for you.

TheWazeGuy

Registered
Strategically, what drives me in similar conditions is clear definition I have created for my purpose at work and how pride I am at this purpose. When I am doing something that does not contribute to my purpose, I feel it is wrong.

Tactically, I am creating a "timer queue" for a few hours - just a series of timers that work one after the other. It may look something like:
- Collect all information to generate invoices 0:10
- Generate invoices 0:15
- Print invoices 0:05
- Put in envelopes 0:05
- Research new potential customers 0:30
The timer queue gives me the same feeling as tasks I receive in incoming emails and calls, but they are actually my pre-defined work.