Does this ebook software exist?

Usrz

Registered
I'm looking for an ebook reader + software that can do the following

- As I'm reading, I would like to highlight quotes (ideally, if I could tag/keyword the quotes directly that would be a plus)

- I can then sync the ebook reader to my PC (either desktop or web-based app) where it will extract what I highlighted and also correctly cite them (i.e. title, author, page, etc.)

- At that point I can add extra tags/keywords

- And essentially the software creates a database of quotes. Were I can sort them by book title, author, subject, tag/keyword, etc.

Does anything like this exist?

mcogilvie

Registered
Usrz;71440 said:
I'm looking for an ebook reader + software that can do the following

- As I'm reading, I would like to highlight quotes (ideally, if I could tag/keyword the quotes directly that would be a plus)

- I can then sync the ebook reader to my PC (either desktop or web-based app) where it will extract what I highlighted and also correctly cite them (i.e. title, author, page, etc.)

- At that point I can add extra tags/keywords

- And essentially the software creates a database of quotes. Were I can sort them by book title, author, subject, tag/keyword, etc.

No, it doesn't exist. It probably won't exist for some time, and may never exist.

Oogiem

Registered
Usrz;71440 said:

Not as far as I know and no rumors or plans that any company making e-book readers has shared. Also no open source stuff that comes close. Why not write one? :)

Usrz

Registered
^ Ha! I wish I was that talented :)

Then is there anything that's remotely similar? Like just simple highlighting of text and then the ability to extract the text?

mcogilvie

Registered
Usrz;71470 said:
^ Ha! I wish I was that talented :)

Then is there anything that's remotely similar? Like just simple highlighting of text and then the ability to extract the text?

As you might guess, the barriers are mostly legal, not technical. Publishers and authors are not particularly eager to provide you with this ability. :)

Oogiem

Registered
Usrz;71470 said:

Kindles can save notes. I haven't checked my notes file to see if I can extract out useful data. BRB

OK Back again. On my kindle I can save notes attached to the sections within an e-book and I can highlight sections and I can set bookmarks.

All user defined data are saved in 2 files My Clippings.mbp and My Clippings.txt

The .mbp file appears to be an encoded file that the kindle operating system uses. The .txt file consists of a plain text file that has bookmarks, highlights and notes. Each datum is separated by a string of = so it would be fairly simple to extract out the notes vs the bookmarks vs extracted text and add them to a simple database.

The notes are user entered text.

The bookmarks refer to kindle locations.

The highlights are sections of the e-text that you have selected.

Here's what the 3 types look like in the text file:

==========
Getting Things Done (David Allen)
- Bookmark Loc. 712 | Added on Saturday, September 12, 2009, 09:53 PM

physical, visible activity that needs to be engaged
==========
- Note Loc. 573 | Added on Thursday, September 17, 2009, 07:36 AM

5 phases test off kindle notes
==========
- Highlight Loc. 575-76 | Added on Thursday, September 17, 2009, 07:43 AM

out many (or any) real actions to take. But if you don’t decide what needs to be done about your secretary’s birthday, because it’s “not that
==========

So, your mission, should you choose to accept it ;-) is to figure out how to parse that data into a small database for use later.

I have a rev 1 kindle. I assume the function is the same on newer kindles but cannot verify as I don't own one.

Barb

Registered
Kindles 1 and 2

Oogiem;71542 said:
Kindles can save notes. I haven't checked my notes file to see if I can extract out useful data. BRB

OK Back again. On my kindle I can save notes attached to the sections within an e-book and I can highlight sections and I can set bookmarks.

All user defined data are saved in 2 files My Clippings.mbp and My Clippings.txt

The .mbp file appears to be an encoded file that the kindle operating system uses. The .txt file consists of a plain text file that has bookmarks, highlights and notes. Each datum is separated by a string of = so it would be fairly simple to extract out the notes vs the bookmarks vs extracted text and add them to a simple database.

The notes are user entered text.

The bookmarks refer to kindle locations.

The highlights are sections of the e-text that you have selected.

Here's what the 3 types look like in the text file:

==========
- Bookmark Loc. 712 | Added on Saturday, September 12, 2009, 09:53 PM

physical, visible activity that needs to be engaged
==========
- Note Loc. 573 | Added on Thursday, September 17, 2009, 07:36 AM

5 phases test off kindle notes
==========
- Highlight Loc. 575-76 | Added on Thursday, September 17, 2009, 07:43 AM

out many (or any) real actions to take. But if you don’t decide what needs to be done about your secretary’s birthday, because it’s “not that
==========

So, your mission, should you choose to accept it ;-) is to figure out how to parse that data into a small database for use later.

I have a rev 1 kindle. I assume the function is the same on newer kindles but cannot verify as I don't own one.

I can't speak to this specific function, but most all functions on the Kindle 2 have improved over the Kindle 1. I bought my dad a Kindle 2 and just can't stand it...I'm upgrading in November.

Barb

Registered
'Fraid not

Oogiem;71564 said:
Going to sell the old kindle? We may want another for hacking...

As of now, hubby wants the old one. If he changes his mind, I'll let you know.

lolajl

Registered
There's supposed to be new eBook readers coming out later this year or earlier next year, from Sony, I think. However, I don't know if there will be a notes feature for these readers.

Jamie Elis

Registered
hand held line scanner thingy

A few years ago, I bought, but never could get it to work, a hand held line scanner from some tech outfit in the Boston area. It was supposed to translate also. It is like bar code scanner. I saw people using one in a town records department collecting data for ???maybe a law suit. I saw it advertised in one of those airline magazines. I saw college students using them in a library, too.

I thought that you could get it to hold the scanned lines in memory and then upload that data. to a word doc. I lost interest in fussing with it, so I cannot report on how it really works. And in my case working through the documentation can make it seem like the thing isn't working. so if you can locate one of these (from the above clues) and make it work, you might achieve what you want for when you are working from a book or journal.

Usrz

Registered
Oogiem;71542 said:

Thanks so much for the info Oogiem!

I'll definitely look into this direction.

Jamie Elis;71677 said:
A few years ago, I bought, but never could get it to work, a hand held line scanner from some tech outfit in the Boston area.

Yeah, I've seen one of those before. But like you said, they seem a bit unwieldy. Also I would prefer to move away from physical books to ebooks since I travel a lot.