electronic 43 folders

ThorstenvPK

Registered
You could use a simple folder-system within day days and weeks, or just do it within our mail-app .....

I used it with the given tickler in RSD for testing (but have a "real" one offline) ....

Another thing: MyTicklerFile for online-usage

More stuff could be found using Google (tickler, online, gtd)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Thorsten

dschaffner

Registered
I guess it depends on what you mean by "electronic 43 folders".

It seem like you could create something using excel that would contain dates in one column, and the tickler items in the next column. Each day you would open the xls file, and process and delete today's row, and update the rest of the file.

J

jaludwick

I'm trying airset with jott, I like both. I want to be able to sync with my palm

I don't use a mac.

I like vitlist too.

It would be nice to have an online pim/tickler/calendar/email controler that syncs as well.

Eponymous

Registered
For anyone who is using a Mac, TidBITS ran a two-part article last year that has some interesting ideas about implementing GTD on the Macintosh, including a nifty tickler system that uses nothing more than folders and AppleScript. It was this article that finally convinced me to buy the book and give GTD a try.

Find it here:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/08614

Or, if you don't like the idea of messing with AppleScript, you could try Hazel:

http://www.noodlesoft.com/hazel.php

cornell

Registered
You might use the "calendar + support file" variation of the tickler. Mark reminders on your calendar, and if there are any associated files/paper, put them in an "Action Support" file - either paper or electronic. Some people like to code the entry "AS" to indicate where to look.

B

Billgtdaw

A couple of ideas--Onenote and Word

Hi,
Microsoft Onenote 2007 would be ideal. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-One...5053?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1189627453&sr=8-2

You would create a notebook in it called "43 Folders"
Create 12 sections in this notebook, one each for each month.
Then pages 1 through 31.
The pages can be moved easily to within the current month's folder.
They can be copied too, for instance, in case you might want to file an item way distant, like eleven months from now. Or just create a new page, takes a few seconds.
The lovely thing about Onenote is that you can open a page or section with a click. Very fast and convenient.
Course Onenote is useful for a host of other things too!
An alternative would be to use Word for this, but Word would be quite a bit more cumbersome.
Also, I recall that Lotus notes had an alphabetized set of page dividers in its notebook-like set up, and the pages could be renames(???).
Just some thoughts.
Billgtdaw

blair_one

Registered
Billgtdaw;52172 said:
Hi,
Microsoft Onenote 2007 would be ideal. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-One...5053?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1189627453&sr=8-2

Also, I recall that Lotus notes had an alphabetized set of page dividers in its notebook-like set up, and the pages could be renames(???).
Just some thoughts.
Billgtdaw

@ Billgtdaw

What about a spreadsheet application. A workbook could represent a month, a worksheet could represent a day.

I personally use Windows folders with Windows Notepad .txt files for each day or a shortcut to support materials on my laptop.

M

milo

I use Outlook

Like cornell suggested, I use Outlook's calendar and reminders to remind me of the actions for the day, and have a physical action folder that holds all supporting documentation for the actions (you should put post-its on them to help jog your memory on what it was exactly that you had to do!). I like this beacuse I don't have to remember to look in a folder every day - I just do it when the reminder tells me to.

T

tor

Billgtdaw;52172 said:
Hi,
Microsoft Onenote 2007 would be ideal.

I use OneNote almost exclusively for my gtd system, and can confirm that it is indeed extremely well suited to the tickler file. I just click and drag each item to a new folder when I'm done w/ the day's collection of reminders. Here's an example

Blacked out areas are projects that have stalled, but will become relevant again on that date. Basically, I work from the top-down. Check my Daily Checklist for habits I'm trying to form, review any other checklists or projects, and finally check the contents of the current day's date.

blair_one

Registered
Checklists

How do you use your daily, weekly and monthly checklists? Are these recurring items? Would you review them based on their interval (each day, week etc depending on the title of the list)?

T

tor

blair_one;52248 said:
How do you use your daily, weekly and monthly checklists? Are these recurring items? Would you review them based on their interval (each day, week etc depending on the title of the list)?

I just review the Daily Checklist in the morning when I check my tickler file. The weekly checklist gets viewed during weekly review, and monthly checklist gets reviewed during monthly review. If the checklist isn't at the top of the list, it's not the day to use it. So, in that screenshot, the Monthly Checklist is at the top, which means it's the day to go over it.

DStaub11

Registered
I do this in Word, as with all of my GTD lists. I just type in the days in a list, adding reminders for tickler items. Associated paper goes in the (labeled) Drawer at my desk. Things later than the current month go under a future month. I haven't found a need for anything fancier. The Word file (along with NA and Project files) gets printed out to carry with me when I'm away from home.

Do Mi