Evernote v OneNote... or even v Wunderlist: so many options, but where to start?

jamesl

Registered
I have read GTD twice now and realised the best option for me would be to select the right software and/or app to apply the theories. I had starting using Evernote, but that is not compatible with some of the Microsoft documents I want to file (I use Word and PowerPoint a lot), yet the 'tagging' feature I see as being useful. I can't see if 'tagging' exists on OneNote(?). Then others recommend Wunderlist for the whole GTD process (can this be integrated across all the hardware I use). So many choices... help, before my head explodes! :(

Folke

Registered
It seems you have gotten the impression from somewhere that everything should go into one single program. This is not the case. You probably haven dozens of different programs and file formats and physical storage.

For example, everything that you keep for possible future use, whatever it is, is called Reference in GTD. You probably have some of this on paper, some on a computer, some on a disk etc etc. Of the computer stuff, some of it is .jpg, some is .docx, some is .xlsx etc etc etc, some you keep in Evernote, OneNote, DropBox, Google Drive etc etc, some of it is your email archive, and fax/paper correspondence archives. You probably will not reorganize all of this just because you now use GTD, but you want to make sure you can find what you need in it

GTD is primarily concerned with actions, projects (and areas etc - six horizons). You can either keep these lists on paper, as described in the book, or use a paper-emulating list app, such as Wunderlist, Google Tasks, iOS Reminders etc, or some more advanced (cross-referencing) app (such as Toodledo, Omnifocus, Things, Nirvana, Doit, Zendone, GTDNext etc). There are advocates here for all those three approaches. Personally I used paper for 20 years and thereafter computer for nearly 20. I prefer the more advanced type of app; I see no point for me personally in using a simple paper-emulating app like Wunderlist and I would not "build my own thing" either (using some general tool like Evernote, Excel, Workflowy etc).

jamesl

Registered
Thanks for the insight Folke - you've given me food for thought about my approach. I guess the background for what I'm trying to do (almost regardless of GTD) is become, as far as is possible, paper-free, and able to be 'mobile'. I have documents on my computer (mainly Word and Power Point) that need to be archived and referenced, and I'm in the process of scanning or photographing everything else to then archive on my system.

What I then end up with a massive 'reference' collection. To this, but also independently, I can start thinking about organising files; reassigning some into a 'Someday/Maybe, 'Tickler' etc. and projects. But if I have this all in the same system or, more pertinently, AS FAR AS IS POSSIBLE in the same system, which also has calendars, next actions lists, option farming (according to the different GTD models) etc, it would be a great help.

The most useful software/app, or if need be combination, would be based on the above criteria.

Jodie E. Francis

GTD Novice
I'm moving to digital as well - it is a lengthy process!

I use Evernote for my primary reference archive and project support, and Wunderlist for a basic GTD implementation. I like that both are accessible via a web interface and also from my iOS devices. File-heavy reference (ie our photo archive) is stored in Dropbox.

I can send email to EN and Wunderlist, to create a note for Reference or some Project Support material in Evernote, or a Next Action with some context in Wunderlist. Beyond that I don't get too fancy with the integration, though I have experimented with storing URLs in Wunderlist that are Evernote "Note links".

Someday/Maybe and Ticklers, I manage in 2 parts: 1) The details are tucked away as Reference in Evernote. Its search capability is fantastic, esp if you are a Premium user. Occasionally there will be downloaded material to review- that's in Dropbox as it is often too large for EN. And sometimes I'll just leave it in my email archive (Gmail search is also amazing) 2) The trigger / reminder is stored in the appropriate list (Tickler or S/M) in Wunderlist, and contains either an EN Note Link or a description of how to find the related note(s) in EN, Gmail, or Dropbox. I've played with EN reminders but not found them particularly useful, so my action triggers come from Wunderlist.

jamesl

Registered
Thanks Jodie - very helpful. OneNote does not seem to be as popular as I thought it would be. I thought, because of storing word documents and maybe PowerPoint presentations - thus offering compatibility, it would be seen as 'superior' to Evernote (?) Thanks again.

devon.marie

Registered
Evernote can indeed store your Office files - Just drag them into a notebook and it'll create a note with them attached. I've got a small SSD in my computer, so I store a LOT of files in Evernote. Evernote Premium will even search your Office documents while doing an Evernote search, which is incredibly handy. It's why I no longer store those items on my harddrive.

I struggle with OneNote, despite wanting to love it. But it's extremely crippled on any device that's not a Windows computer, and that's not acceptable to me. Evernote is great on all platforms I use (Windows, Mac, iOS), so it wins for me. Plus, unlimited storage is hard to beat (and the 4GB monthly upload hard to reach).

NeilH

Registered
JamesL said...
I can't see if 'tagging' exists on OneNote(?).

You can use tags in OneNote, but they work on a single line of text instead of an entire note. In some ways that is more useful and in other ways it is less useful. imho.

I agree with Folke that it sounds like you are jumping into using Evernote or OneNote as your GTD system perhaps a bit too soon. I have tried to implement GTD in both those systems and while it can be done, I personally think it's better to use a software app/service designed to do GTD rather than trying to force a general purpose piece of software into being a GTD app.

I'd use OneNote or Evernote (both are good, but different) to store your notes, docs, etc. But to keep your next actions I would use a real GTD app. If you choose Evernote, you can use taskclone.com to automatically move all your actions into most major task apps.

Anyway, before you go to deep down the general purpose track, I'd consider the "on-purpose" track. :)