Examples for the REAL newbie?

Oogiem

Registered
lareaarnett;75297 said:
my biggest difficulty was with sentimental stuff, potential scrapbook material etc. I culled it down some but basically just have some boxes with the stuff.

I am curious, how do you do your scanning? Are there any tricks to make it easier?

On the scrapbook stuff. I do chronological scrapbooks of my life. SO for me it' easy to put stuff in the proper place. I've got my historical ones done up to 1972 and then started again at 2000 and am up to May 2008. I have 5 active scrapbook projects right now. My potential scrapbook stuff is in boxes by date. As I pull stuff to work on a year I sort it and that is when I do my final culling of junk. I would rather keep potentially useful/interesting/fun stuff for a while rather than regret missing it later. Right now I have 7 boxes of historical scrapbook stuff still to be finished.

On Scanning the best thing that happened to me was when my multifunction printer with scanner was no longer supported by my computer. That forced me to go buy a Fujitsu ScanSnap. I have an S 510M, the mac version. I can scan stuff very fast. I have a checklist I go through when I start,

Set up the folder to put stuff into, set up duplex or single side scanning, set up the file type etc.

Also I've discovered you have to watch the scanner, it can pull in multiple pages at once on occasion so you have to babysit it. And when the files are done verify they are fully readable and do all the deletion of blank pages, rotation as needed for landscape vs portrait mode and so on right then.

However I have managed to scan then shred over 12 bankers boxes of stuff using it and I love it.

Also when you are done, plan for how you backup your files and what you will do as technology changes. FOr example I have a 5 year project that won't become active until 5 years or so from now that is to verify and update all files for stuff I still need in case the computer technology has changed. It's set to trigger to active whenever I get a new computer or a certain amount of time has passed.