File, Files and Filing cabinets

goshafad

Registered
After reading GTD, I stopped reading in the chapter that talks about files and filing equipment. I want to remain in that chapter until I get this iportant issues solved, with your help.

Dave states that hanging files are not his first choice. If one was to use hanging files then its one file per hanging file. Ok fine, I understand that.

However I would like to file with out hanging files. I went to Staples to look at filing solutions. The young man told me his previous boss used to use filing cabinets without hanging files. He said he used a expandable paper file jackets and placed his files in those jackets and then stacked them inside the cabinet in order standing up. The files within these jackets stood up great and he could add or subtract with out sagging files if one was without these jackets. He then told me Staples had on display plastic jackets, but he could not find any.

I've noticed the new cheap under $200 filing cabinets are mostly designed with the hanging file in mind. I have some older filing cabinets at work that were originally a high quality type from 20+ years ago. They are designed with either a single back adjustable divider or multiple metal dividers that you could lift out and replace by locking the bottom of the divider into channels up and down at the bottom in the drawer. You could have up to 3 or 4 or more of these dividers. They worked pretty good for a non hanging file set up. However in todays world are they still making cabinets like that and where can I get them. Am I forced to use handing folder technology because the cabinets are dictating as such? What solutions are your using?
I'm not moving on in the chapter till I'm firmly aware and have taken action with my filing hardware. Thanks a bunch.

vatark

Registered
In the UK filing cabinets made by Bisley are set up to use metal dividers. You have to buy the dividers separately.

lolajl

Registered
I've been having a hard time finding these file cabinet with metal sliders. I think these aren't being made anymore. I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist for one that is not too expensive and within driving distance. Meanwhile, I make do with several hanging folders (I don't use the expandable folders) and just inserting the labeled folders and moving some forward or backward when the hanging folder gets too stuffed.

goshafad

Registered
Does anyone know a manufacture in the US who makes filing cabinets that have dividers built into the cabinet's design?

Oogiem

Registered
lolajl;69146 said:
I've been having a hard time finding these file cabinet with metal sliders.

I haven't seen any new ones in years either. I use lots of hanging folders as well. Big improvement for me was finally getting a labeler and using it for all the files.

CoffinDodger

Registered
I suppose I must have this problem with mine but I don't mind the files falling at an angle if the drawer isn't full. But seriously, with a bit of lateral thinking can't you just use a sturdy book end of the l-shaped type?

I put "l shaped book end" into google images and got this as the first hit which is exactly what I had in mind. I'm not in australia but I've seen these around for years in the UK.

http://www.okoffice.com.au/categories.asp?cID=43

If you were worried about them sliding around in the drawer then you could pack behind them with a shoe box or something equally recyclable.

Oogiem

Registered
CoffinDodger;69155 said:
I suppose I must have this problem with mine but I don't mind the files falling at an angle if the drawer isn't full. But seriously, with a bit of lateral thinking can't you just use a sturdy book end of the l-shaped type?

I haven't seen one of those for at least 25 years!

When I have files without being contained they fall down and some slide under the others when I pull out the drawers so I can never see all the labels. Ideal for me would be about 6-8 inches of space so the files lean back but don't slide. The device you show might work perfectly, if they even still exist in the US :-(

goshafad

Registered
Why are hanging file folders frowned upon? It seems that the "friction" of finding a non-hanging folder solution out weights whatever negative the hanging folder has. What are they? In your opinion does the negative of a hanging file solution outweigh the frustration of finding a non hanging file solution?

Evaluise

Registered
The hanging file solution takes up so much more space, it really does! So it depends. If you are only organizing your private stuff hanging files may be quite alright. If like me you are organizing the paper stuff of two companies and private stuff with hanging files you'd need a room full of file cabinets. So I switched to non-hanging folders and put them in my old hanging file cabinets. If a drawer is not full enough I simply put a roll or two of toilet paper in the back to keep the folders from sliding until the drawer is full enough.
It's not perfect. But it works, and that's all I'm asking for - I'm leaving perfection to those people who have time for it.

CoffinDodger

Registered
Oogiem;69167 said:
I haven't seen one of those for at least 25 years!

When I have files without being contained they fall down and some slide under the others when I pull out the drawers so I can never see all the labels. Ideal for me would be about 6-8 inches of space so the files lean back but don't slide. The device you show might work perfectly, if they even still exist in the US :-(

Okay now I've posted that "maybe" I have this problem, I noticed last night that I did indeed have it. "Fortunately" I moved house last week and was spending last night unpacking my filing into a new cabinet - which is full!

But I did get some sliding at first - and your comment points at this being the critical issue too. As a proponent of the lateral thought, I would suggest that a solution to slippage would be two strips of anti-slip matting about 4 inches wide and the length of the drawer base. Stick them in parallel to the base using (gaffer) tape and you've got a non-slip base to your drawer.

I mean the rubber anti-slip stuff you put under rugs on wooden floors. I don't have any spare at home or I would try this out tonight. Maybe files are too heavy for it?

goshafad

Registered
What about using the "heavy duty" files that are thicker and cost more I've seen at the office supply store to help reduce the "bend" that takes place in the drawer.

wcartmill

Registered
Apparently there are some metal magnetic "bookend-like" items that you can use to keep files upright/pushed forward. These were mentioned in another earlier thread titled "File cabinets, follower blocks, and keeping sane". Just click on the "search" forums link above this forum, put in "filing", and the link to that thread appears about halfway down the list.

Wm

gbuhlman

Registered
Pull out hanging folder system for a cupboard

I have a cupboard with doors that is about 30"Wx24"Dx16"H and I am looking for a hanging folder system that is on pull out rails that I can mount in there. Has anyone seen something like this? Basically I want this cupboard to be a giant drawer inside the doors with the pull out rails either mounted on the bottom or on the side (I can block off the inside with wood to give enough clearance to clear the doors when pulling out).

I know that most folks here prefer to stay away from hanging systems due to the extra space they take up but I don't have a lot of files to keep and I already have this cabinet which is installed under a desktop in my office and I want to reuse it if possible.

Thanks,
Glen