Finding the right digital GTD system

mickmel

Registered
I'm having a hard time finding a web-based GTD system that is perfect for my needs. Nozbe does a great job, but I keep thinking there must be something better. However, I can't find any that do the job as well as Nozbe.

Here's my list of what I want. Am I asking for too much? Or are there some systems out there that I'm missing?

djh

Registered
Hey Mikey,

I'm on the quest with you. I'd been using Toodledo for ages, but really looking to get into a system that follows the GTD process more closely.

After a lot of reading (including some of your blogs) and testing, I've signed up with Nozbe and have been migrating over.

I do like it, but I'm not convinced it is the long term solution. I signed up to get a beta invite to Nirvana which looks to be a better GTD solution.

Anyway, I'll be really interested to see how things develop with Nozbe over the next few months. I find that it deals with projects really well and I use Evernote as my inbox so the lack of one in Nozbe isn't a real problem. I'm hoping that the new iPhone app works out - the current one is useless for me and I really don't like the iNobe web app either.

Switching systems is very disruptive so I want to find something I can be happy with for a while.

mickmel

Registered
Nirvana really needs to get sharing in place, but it sounds like it'll be a while longer. Hopefully that means they're doing it the right way.

Nozbe says that an improved iPhone app it coming soon, but no sign of it yet.

hikerpa

Registered
I also use Nozbe and for right now it's the best solution for me. I would love to try "eproductivity" for Lotus notes but the investment costs are to much right now, and I've never used Lotus Notes. I'm sure the learning curve would be steep.

I'm also a beta tester for Nirvana and I agree about sharing.

Ellen

DanGTD

Registered
You can give a try to Gtdagenda.

We just added the Inbox recently, and it follows the GTD processes pretty close.

mickmel

Registered
DanGTD;76149 said:
You can give a try to Gtdagenda.

We just added the Inbox recently, and it follows the GTD processes pretty close.
Gtdagenda is pretty solid, but it doesn't have sharing/collaboration of any kind. For me, that's a dealbreaker. Sorry.

Conrad Sallian

Registered
mickmel;75949 said:
I'm having a hard time finding a web-based GTD system that is perfect for my needs. Nozbe does a great job, but I keep thinking there must be something better. However, I can't find any that do the job as well as Nozbe.

Here's my list of what I want. Am I asking for too much? Or are there some systems out there that I'm missing?

Is there any specific reason why you want to use web-based app rather than a desktop application? Just curious.

mickmel

Registered
Conrad Sallian;76332 said:
Is there any specific reason why you want to use web-based app rather than a desktop application? Just curious.
I use a desktop most of the time, but I also have a laptop and netbook that I use quite a bit. I don't want to have to copy files to keep them in sync -- I want to be able to pull it up on any computer and see what's going on.

Beyond that, two of my other criteria are mobile device support and sharing. I should be more specific and say that I want mobile device support without having to use a cable -- sync over the air. While some desktop software might be able to support both of those (and I'd certainly look at any that do), it seems likely that any software that can handle mobile and sharing will be web-based by nature.

Conrad Sallian

Registered
mickmel;75967 said:
Nirvana really needs to get sharing in place, but it sounds like it'll be a while longer. Hopefully that means they're doing it the right way.

Nozbe says that an improved iPhone app it coming soon, but no sign of it yet.

Seems like Nirvana looks almost exactly like Things, the application from CulturedCode (www.culturedcode.com/things). If plagiarism is not a better term.

Conrad Sallian

Registered
mickmel;76333 said:
I use a desktop most of the time, but I also have a laptop and netbook that I use quite a bit. I don't want to have to copy files to keep them in sync -- I want to be able to pull it up on any computer and see what's going on.

Beyond that, two of my other criteria are mobile device support and sharing. I should be more specific and say that I want mobile device support without having to use a cable -- sync over the air. While some desktop software might be able to support both of those (and I'd certainly look at any that do), it seems likely that any software that can handle mobile and sharing will be web-based by nature.

BTW, do you use contexts a lot? Seems like some people, me included, are spending all their working day in front of their computers and the idea of contexts doesn't make much sense for them.

mickmel

Registered
Conrad Sallian;76335 said:
BTW, do you use contexts a lot? Seems like some people, me included, are spending all their working day in front of their computers and the idea of contexts doesn't make much sense for them.

I'm with you -- I don't use them at all. 99% would be "computer", so it's a waste of time for me.

They make a lot of sense for some jobs, but they simply have no place in my workflow.

EMarkM

Registered
Contexts really come into play when you are using GTD to run EVERYTHING: not just your work in the office.

For me the system works because I use it for all aspects of my life, including work, hobbies, chores around the home, family commitments, meetings with friends and holiday-planning.

Unless all of those take place on your computer, you're going to need contexts!

Oogiem

Registered
Conrad Sallian;76335 said:

Do you have a life outside of work? Are there programs you use that have a long start-up time or take a while to "get in the groove" of using? Do you have multiple machines or systems or browsers that you may need to use or test? Do you have any commitments to any volunteer organizations? Do you still have your parents alive and do you have any contact with them? What about a spouse or children? Do you own or rent a house or apartment? Do you do any of your own cooking? Do you do any of your own household chores?

If you answered yes to any of them then IMO contexts are vital to really moving forward with GTD. Just because you can choose to be in any context because you always have the tools available at work doesn't mean that putting all your actions in one big list is efficient. Plus that is ignoring what for me is the bigger benefit of GTD, integrating it into my whole life.

I work at home and can choose most any context most any time but I still find then critical to organizing my workflow and getting more done within the same number of hours.

Try to develop more contexts for a while as a test.

Conrad Sallian

Registered
Oogiem;76342 said:
Do you have a life outside of work?

I do have a life outside of work. But I'm trying not to get very obsessed with time management. In other words, my work is the only place where I really need to use GTD. In other areas of my life it would be rather superfluous, I know that for sure. But I do understand your point - for some people it may really be very useful to use contexts.

sdann

Registered
Conrad Sallian;76344 said:
I do have a life outside of work. But I'm trying not to get very obsessed with time management. In other words, my work is the only place where I really need to use GTD. In other areas of my life it would be rather superfluous, I know that for sure. But I do understand your point - for some people it may really be very useful to use contexts.

I don't really see GTD as a time management tool. Keeping a list of errands (my favorite context, since it's saved me so much time on the road) and a list of home and personal projects (planning dinners or trips, getting new furniture etc.) is what I use GTD for. Other than saving me time because I'm more organized, there is no time management involved. The actual time management comes afterwards, when I have to just do it. I use GTD to plan for all the great things I want and all the things I need to do and get out of the way.

Conrad Sallian

Registered
sdann;76361 said:
I don't really see GTD as a time management tool. Keeping a list of errands (my favorite context, since it's saved me so much time on the road) and a list of home and personal projects (planning dinners or trips, getting new furniture etc.) is what I use GTD for. Other than saving me time because I'm more organized, there is no time management involved. The actual time management comes afterwards, when I have to just do it. I use GTD to plan for all the great things I want and all the things I need to do and get out of the way.

Ok, I'll put it another way - I don't need GTD to remember to tidy up my flat, or remember to go to a nearby grocery store to buy some food (except I need a scrap of paper with a list of what to buy). :)

Whereas at my work I have zillions of actions, waiting fors, projects etc. so I absolutely need a system to maintain an iron grip on all that. And GTD has proved to be the best system to achieve that so far.

Oogiem

Registered
Conrad Sallian;76344 said:
I'm trying not to get very obsessed with time management.

I agree with sdann I also do not consider GTD time management at all.

The big benefit with contexts is to keep yourself from switching mental gears even in mundane stuff too often. Even a simple switch takes time to get in the groove and working. So having contexts that cover all the various projects in your life will allow you to be more creative in how your approach even the mundane stuff.

Conrad Sallian

Registered
Oogiem;76367 said:
I agree with sdann I also do not consider GTD time management at all.

The big benefit with contexts is to keep yourself from switching mental gears even in mundane stuff too often. Even a simple switch takes time to get in the groove and working. So having contexts that cover all the various projects in your life will allow you to be more creative in how your approach even the mundane stuff.

In my case it would be further splitting @computer context into other contexts that cover specific activities or technologies. Never did that. I'll try it out.

Oogiem

Registered
Conrad Sallian;76371 said:
In my case it would be further splitting @computer context into other contexts that cover specific activities or technologies. Never did that. I'll try it out.
When I was doing more computer consulting I found that splitting my @computer context into separate lists for each program I used to do the various tasks really helped. Then when I got a program up and running I could just whip through all the things in that program before closing it down and moving to the next one. Right now even with my minimal stuff I have 3 computer contexts, @computer Mac @computer Windows and @computer internet. The reason is not so much that I don't have access to all 3 all the time but that it's a lot easier to corral my stuff and actions if I split it out that way. I can focus on one system and get a lot more done more easily rather than flipping between stuff.

My mac is running Fusion so is also my windows machine and we have an always on wireless broadband connection so I always have internet. It is still useful to split the @computer context up.

I tried using spaces on the mac to separate programs but ran into bugs with some things not running well on the other spaces so switched back. But if you are on a linux machine there are much better virtual desktop programs that can be used to help force a switch of contexts to keep you focused on the tasks at hand.

Brent

Registered
Conrad Sallian;76364 said:
Ok, I'll put it another way - I don't need GTD to remember to tidy up my flat, or remember to go to a nearby grocery store to buy some food (except I need a scrap of paper with a list of what to buy). :)

Whereas at my work I have zillions of actions, waiting fors, projects etc. so I absolutely need a system to maintain an iron grip on all that. And GTD has proved to be the best system to achieve that so far.

Someday, something dramatic will happen in your life, and you will need an airtight system for everything you do. Even mundane things will not get done.

You can wait until that moment to set up a system, or you can have it running smoothly when it happens.