Folder Structure for Projects?

gtdstudente

Registered
Consider the ways you want to use the data and ensure your system supports those uses for you.

When I have experimented with different list organisations, what I have been searching for is the best dashboard for me to: organise, choose actions, and review. I don't think there is such a best dashboard so making it easy to see what you want when you want it is key.

My Areas of focus are written on 3 x 5 index cards and are in a reference folder called GTD Horizons. Quick and easy to look at them whenever I want.

For my lists, I use a 3 x 5 index cards. Normally, I group the cards by context. Here is how I use them, and how I have achieved the similar effects in the past using software.

Clarifying: I write the project on one side and the next action on the other side.

Organising: I write the context next to the action and put the card in the appropriate context stack. In software, I have always found it difficult to separate clarifying and organising. The best was in Toodledo where I could type in the action and then type in the context tag.

Choosing an action: I take the stack of cards for the current context and take out those that I have time and energy to do. Now I have a shortlist to make priority decisions. After I do an action, I go through that shortlist again and remove actions I no-longer have time and energy to do. Previously, I have used the star feature in software to do this filtering, and once the initial stars are set up for "right now", use the star view to see only my shortlist.

Reviewing: Normally I review projects without rearranging them (i.e. in context order)

Reviewing by Area of Focus: Occasionally during the weekly review, I like to view my projects by area of focus. I sort my stack of cards manually by AoF. In the past, I have used tags in software for this. There is an obvious tradeoff here. Do you spend time tagging projects with AoF while organising, or repeat the sorting every time you want to see your projects in this way. For me, it is more valuable to streamline the organising.

Reviewing using an Eisenhower Matrix: Occasionally, I want to use an Eisenhower matrix. Again, I arrange the cards I have into the quadrants. In the past, I have used tags in software for this. The trick with the software approach was remembering to undo those tags afterwards.

These are the most common ways I use my lists. However, I am quite confident that I can arrange these cards in lots of different ways on my desk, to solve whatever problem I have in the moment. I would suggest that whatever structure you choose in software, you have the flexibility to slice and dice your lists in whatever ways suit your needs without having to do a big restructure.
cfoley,

If interested, just edited more 'clarity' to the "Folder Structure for Projects?" reply to your very good GTD post

Thank you

Last edited:

KachriT

Registered
Thanks for the nice comment @bcmyers2112 !

My system was born from frustration.
  • I have this big desk but my computerised system was confined to a 15" laptop screen or a 5.5" phone screen.
  • I didn't love having to look at a screen to choose actions from a non-computery context.
  • I always enjoyed paper systems but they were difficult to view in different ways.
As a child, I loved collecting stickers and cards. I would use the entire floor to arrange them into bundles, sometimes in numerical order, sometimes to collect the rare ones together, sometimes by artwork style. Sometimes I would just lay them all out individually so I could get a view from a 4 foot altitude! Little did I know I was practising the manual dexterity and algorithms for an effective index card GTD system!

The biggest source of friction in my system is... friction itself. The cards do not slide across each other as easily as I would like. I am looking into using blank glossy playing cards but they seem more expensive, less readily available and possibly less environmentally friendly. The sweet spot might be some 3 x 5 glossy cards that are cheap but also a compatible size with the rest of my cards.

Have you considered RocketBook note cards (Cloud Cards)? They're reusable and have some slip to them (not a lot - very paper-like texture - but enough that it might make a difference for you...). I have gotten them to use, but my college kids keep 'acquiring' them, so I think they like them :) The environmental impact plus the sturdiness makes them appealing for their studying, from what they tell me.

I, too, prefer systems that are NOT on a screen - I like seeing things at a glance and having the visual reinforcement without having to click my way through to the right view or day on the calendar. I use a paper planner that I designed through Agendio (online planner and notebook company) for a discbound format (pages are moveable and I can use different daily templates depending on the requirements of a particular day). I used to use an index card system and loved the portability - also good for delegating to family: just hand them the card with the task on it.

Thanks for sharing!!

cfoley

Registered
cfoley,

Thank you for your post.

System on this end is very similar, however, using ubiquitously available 8 1/2" x 11" copy paper with a helpful clipboard is undoubtedly less nimble than 3" x 5" index cards which would be a preference. The upside to the 'clunkier' 8 1/2" x 11" copy paper functioning in landscape, like index cards, is the additional space capacity.

Again, using 'clunkier' 8 1/2" x 11" copy paper was due to needing more capacity required for an Easy Comprehensive Project Review:
'Project Eco-Map ~~ Contextually Journaled Next Action(s) Eco-List.'

For whatever its worth, the above is applied as followed:

For 'accessibility / identifiability' the 'Project Side' is labeled Top [either Left, Center, Right (all OK as well)], the Center/Center also has the Project Name with Outcome with the bonus being there is plenty of capacity/space for writing needed/'obstacle(s)' Sub-Projects and the like.

Like you, on the other-side [inversely] is primarily the 'Next Action(s) side' beginning Top-Left with plenty of space capacity for Dates, Time, Notes, etc. Any randomly captured Support information in doing 'Next Action(s)' is written beginning on the Bottom Left Corner.

The rest is 'identical' to what you posted.

Thank you very much, most appreciated. Thank you

Oh, very cool. I'm happy to hear from someone with a similar system! I do sometimes add small notes to my cards but I usually create a file in Obsidian for any project that needs more than a few words of note-taking. That said, I can certainly see the attraction of more space for writing or drawing!

I suppose this means that your colour system is implemented by swapping pens. Is that right? This seems much less fiddly to me than formatting using a computer.

cfoley

Registered
Have you considered RocketBook note cards (Cloud Cards)? They're reusable and have some slip to them (not a lot - very paper-like texture - but enough that it might make a difference for you...). I have gotten them to use, but my college kids keep 'acquiring' them, so I think they like them :) The environmental impact plus the sturdiness makes them appealing for their studying, from what they tell me.

I, too, prefer systems that are NOT on a screen - I like seeing things at a glance and having the visual reinforcement without having to click my way through to the right view or day on the calendar. I use a paper planner that I designed through Agendio (online planner and notebook company) for a discbound format (pages are moveable and I can use different daily templates depending on the requirements of a particular day). I used to use an index card system and loved the portability - also good for delegating to family: just hand them the card with the task on it.

Thanks for sharing!!

Rocket cards had not been on my radar until you posted. They look really cool, as does their entire line. I will have to have a think as they are expensive and not compatible with the other tools that I like to use (pencil, highlighter, date stamp). However, I reckon I will give them a shot at some point. They are on my Someday/Maybe list for now!

gtdstudente

Registered
Oh, very cool. I'm happy to hear from someone with a similar system! I do sometimes add small notes to my cards but I usually create a file in Obsidian for any project that needs more than a few words of note-taking. That said, I can certainly see the attraction of more space for writing or drawing!

I suppose this means that your colour system is implemented by swapping pens. Is that right? This seems much less fiddly to me than formatting using a computer.
cfoley,

Yes, it does require some pen swapping which is made easier with a nice 'old fashioned' Pen-Layout system:

If interested, further detail for the Project side of 8 1/2" x 11":

In the center: Project Name (Top) and Project Name with Outcome (Center) in appropriate for:
General Area-of-Focus colors: Divine, Persons (Good), Engineering (Problematic Persons / Obstacles), Decorations/Tools/Utilities, Fiscal

Then the box around the Project Name with Outcome in Particular Area-of-Focus colors':
'North Box-Line' = Healthy, 'South Box-Line' = Props, 'East Box-Line' = Accuracy, Adapt, Adjustments (Necessary Knowledge), ect.,
'West Box-Line' = Provisions
then from the corners of Project's Box, using ubiquitous black penned lines from the Box Corner to the Page Corner with one extra sliver to the left of 'Northeast' for 'Problematics'

I either write in the sub-concern spaces (in black) accordingly or use a Post-It for something fleeting . . . like a Next Actions to keep the Next Actions lists side as attractive, 'clean-focused' and as 'deliberative-free' as possible

Easy Comprehensive Review using above Project-Eco System:

This 'Big Picture Understanding' of potential realities (Real or Imagined) helps to reduce 'procrastination-friction' by clarifying any concerns in order to more boldly/smoothly get on with Next Actions posted to other side.

Thank you and hoping you find something worthy for your "cfoley GTD" system

Be well and have a fantastic day!

Last edited: