Franklin Covey Plan Plus and Outlook Security Patch

sroeder

Registered
I have been using Franklin Covey's PlanPlus program for Microsoft Outlook which works with Outlook and which gives me the capacity to create projects, etc.

Now for the problem: Our IT people want to put a security patch on my Outlook which now makes it incompatible with PlanPlus. So, if I keep the required level of security, I lose Plan Plus.

This is a big loss because I have about 90 projects built into Plan Plus which I have apparently no way of preserving and will have to recreate them in some other system.

Questions to forum users:
#1. Has anyone else found this problem with Franklin Covey Plan Plus and added security with Outlook?
#2. What other software is out there that enables one to use Outlook with a program that enables the creation or projects and is compatible with a higher level of security? Is the software from GTD compatible with higher Outlook security? Does this software have a project feature?

Answers will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

apinaud

Registered
Have you try the new Version of the GTD Outlook Add in from Netcentrics?

Go to the product and test it. Works like a charm for projects, and works with the new security of outlook.

As fas as I know there is no migration tool, but I think the add in is a great addition; you can configure enough to make it work similar to FC or even better ;)

Hope this helps

smithdoug

Registered
I've been using both PlanPlus and the Netcentrics GTD Add-In. I know of nothing out there that allows one to build a hierarchical project structure within Outlook as PlanPlus does. If there was, I'd probably be using it.

Have you taken this issue up with Agilix Labs, the developers of the PlanPlus add-in? They're supposed to be issuing a new version 4.1, which will be compatible with Outlook 2007 and Vista, any day now. Perhaps it will be compatible with the security patches that your IT folks want to install as well.

bvkeen

Registered
smithdoug;46524 said:
I've been using both PlanPlus and the Netcentrics GTD Add-In. I know of nothing out there that allows one to build a hierarchical project structure within Outlook as PlanPlus does. If there was, I'd probably be using it.

Are you using both together? Been a while since I tried that, but my recollection is that they didn't play well together on my computer. (I use Outlook 2003 -- haven't considered upgrading to 2007 yet).

smithdoug

Registered
bvkeen;46531 said:
Are you using both together? Been a while since I tried that, but my recollection is that they didn't play well together on my computer. (I use Outlook 2003 -- haven't considered upgrading to 2007 yet).

Yes, I am. PlanPlus version 4 and the new version 2.5 of the GTD Add-In with Outlook 2003, and on a computer that's five or six years old now and hardly state of the art. PlanPlus 3 was unusable on the same computer, but 4 performs even better than I recall versions 1 or 2 doing. There is some system drag, but it's not at all bad.

PlanPlus gives me the hierarchical project management feature I find useful, and I generally prefer the PlanPlus Home and Today screens to the native Outlook ones. The Netcentrics product is useful for processing e-mail and I'm starting to use its Project Detail page for organizing notes and e-mail messages by project. It would be wonderful if one of these vendors would roll all of these features together, but thusfar none has seen fit to do so.

bvkeen

Registered
smithdoug;46533 said:
Yes, I am. PlanPlus version 4 and the new version 2.5 of the GTD Add-In with Outlook 2003, and on a computer that's five or six years old now and hardly state of the art. PlanPlus 3 was unusable on the same computer, but 4 performs even better than I recall versions 1 or 2 doing. There is some system drag, but it's not at all bad.

PlanPlus gives me the hierarchical project management feature I find useful, and I generally prefer the PlanPlus Home and Today screens to the native Outlook ones. The Netcentrics product is useful for processing e-mail and I'm starting to use its Project Detail page for organizing notes and e-mail messages by project. It would be wonderful if one of these vendors would roll all of these features together, but thusfar none has seen fit to do so.

Thanks for the quick response. I own both packages but only have GTD Add-in 2.5 installed right now. I'll install PP 4 tomorrow. (I've used it and like a lot of its features, but felt I had to choose one or other add-in, so went with the GTD Add-in. I like the idea of using both, and especially like the fact that Pocket Informant 2007 on my PPC syncs nicely with PP 4 - it'll be nice to have that back.) Not sure what caused the problems when I had a dual-load before: perhaps it was too many installs and uninstalls.

Thanks again.

smithdoug

Registered
security patch problem fixed?

The newest release of PlanPlus 4 is now out, designed to be compatible with Outlook 2007 and Vista. And there's also a "fix" for a problem encounterred with Outlook 2003 from a Microsoft Security Update. Perhaps this will solve your problem.

bvkeen

Registered
Thanks. I'll grab the update. For the past couple of days, the two plugins have been living in peaceful coexistence with Outlook 2003. I'm crossing my fingers that it will continue.

W

wordznpics

Planplus 4?

Are you actually using PlanPlus V4 rather that V5.0 or V5.1?

I could never get anywhere with V4 and my Tungsten. I've actually gotten some syncing accomplished with V5.1 build 3162, GoBinder Framework 1.0 build 3156; but I'm losing tasks, getting dupes of tasks and priority numbers, etc.

I'm about ready to just go back to palm desktop or... ?

bvkeen

Registered
wordznpics;50643 said:

I could never get anywhere with V4 and my Tungsten. I've actually gotten some syncing accomplished with V5.1 build 3162, GoBinder Framework 1.0 build 3156; but I'm losing tasks, getting dupes of tasks and priority numbers, etc.

wordznpics,
Actually I am doing entirely without plugins now.

smithdoug

Registered
wordznpics;50643 said:

Are you asking about PlanPlus? or PlanPlus for Outlook? Those are two different products. The most recent version of PP for Outlook is 4.1.

FWIW, I uninstalled PP for Outlook when I decided to upgrade to Outlook 2007 and add some CRM functionality to it. OL2007 (with the newest GTD add-in) gives me much of the functionality that I used from PP with lower system overhead.