Good tool for passwords?

NewbGTD

Registered
Bit off topic, but does anyone know of a good tool to store, save, protect usernames and passwords etc I am getting tired of keep forgetting them with the amount I have.

Any recommendations?

Conejo23

Registered
if you’re on a Mac, there’s only one choice, 1Password. It’s awesome.

If on Windows, someone else will need to make a recommendation.

apinaud

Registered
I have been using Splash ID from www.splashdata.com for years.

They had PC and Mac, iphone, Palm, BB, Windows Mobile.

They are fantastic, I have been their costumer I think since 2001 or 2002

lemontmartrois

Registered
Another vote for SplashID

I second Augusto's recommendation for SplahID; I too have used it on a daily basis for the past two years or so .

It's the best tool I know of that manages all my passwords on my desktop PC AND on my PocketPC, and automagically synchronizes information between the two.

This is one of the very essential piece of software that I use, along with MyLifeOrganized.

Eric

apinaud;74580 said:
I have been using Splash ID from www.splashdata.com for years.

They had PC and Mac, iphone, Palm, BB, Windows Mobile.

They are fantastic, I have been their costumer I think since 2001 or 2002

Toby Jarvis

Registered
Callpod Keeper

I use Callpod Keeper - http://www.callpod.com/products/keeper

Runs on Mac, Windows or Linux, with apps for iPhone, Android and others so you keep synced while on the move.

The Mac application is a little slow to boot up perhaps, but other than that it appears secure and seems to do its simple job well. Syncs no problems with the iPhone app.

websavant

Registered
DevonThink

I have a special database for all passwords/logins in DevonThink, which is the tool I use for storing Reference Materials. Lets me keep all the necessary details together including direct links to login screens, history notes, etc.
(mac only)

ZZamboni

Registered
If on a Mac, I would heartily second the recommendation for 1Password. It's truly an awesome tool, with a great team behind it. I recently had to start using Windows, and haven't found a good replacement yet. I'll have to try Splash ID now.

NewbGTD

Registered
SplashID is the one I like the look of most since I’m not on the mac.

Call pod also looks fairly neat.

Thanks everyone.

PatinSC

Registered
I have a PC and and Palm

For all those many, many passwords, I use Passwords Plus. I've had it so long, I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was about $15 - $20. If I were starting now, I'd look for something open source, but the idea of converting all those passwords to new software scares me.

jnz42

Registered
I used eWallet on the PC and windows mobile phone for years before switching to mac and using 1Password. eWallet does have an iPhone app.

jasont

Registered
I second Keepass (keepassx for mac)

I've been using this one for about a year. When coupled with a dropbox account you can have everything synced everywhere and all up-to-date.

lifehacker has a great post on how to make this all work. How to Use Dropbox as the Ultimate Password Syncer

tpassist;74579 said:
I've been using Keepass for years now and it hasn't missed a beat.

http://keepass.info/

"KeePass, the free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager"

fje00

Registered
there are plenty of decent desktop password managers. I was a big fan for a while of Password Depot. But there were few in my view that did a good job of syncing mobile and desktop. In my case that is Windows and Windows Mobile.

I have been using Spb Wallet for a while now and I have to say I am a huge fan. Desktop and mobile apps are great as is the sync. Also has a great toolbar browser plugin for Firefox (my preference) and Internet Explorer.

ecbell

Registered
I used SplashID too and really liked it. But I didn't have SplashID with me (work, and on trips.) So I decided to consolidate and added my password information to my contact list in Outlook. Now, I have the company listed, a phone number, the website and my userid/password. I created two fields for the userid/password and a new view for websites so I can see them easily.

I print my contact list frequently and send it to my home account to keep everything current.

lolajl

Registered
ecbell;75199 said:
So I decided to consolidate and added my password information to my contact list in Outlook.

Umm . . . do you keep Outlook locked up? The purpose of password programs is that you can only access these using a master password. Anyone can go into Outlook and take a peek at your password information.