GTD Add In and Outlook XP?

J

Joe Bryant

Hey Folks,

Have been using the GTD add in with my Outlook 2000 for a while and love it. Recently upgraded to Outlook XP. Now my Outlook shuts down very frequently giving me the "outlook has encountered a problem and has to shut down". message.

FWIW, it's always in the task module. My Inbox and email seems to work fine.

Is this a compatibility issue? No problem if it is, I'll glady go back to Outlook 2000 if that's what it takes. It just seems like going back is going to take a little work and I wanted to feel like that would solve my problem before I did that work.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

J

Joe Bryant

Anonymous said:
Joe -- What version of Windows are you running?

Hi,

Windows XP

The only thing that has changed was the upgrade to Office XP (including Outlook XP) from Office 2000.

I run Norton Antivirus daily and have all the latest MS patches installed so I feel pretty confident that it's not virus related in any way.

Thanks for the help.

A

Anonymous

Hi Joe -- Have you run "Detect & Repair" and/or "Scanpst"? If not, I would try both as a starting point.

J

Joe Bryant

Anonymous said:
Hi Joe -- Have you run "Detect & Repair" and/or "Scanpst"? If not, I would try both as a starting point.

Hi,

No, I have not. Exactly where do I run these from?

Thanks.

Joe

A

Anonymous

Yes, Ambar is correct about where to fine "Detect & Repair". For "Scanpst", search your hard disk for the file "scanpst.exe". You'll probably find it in the "I386" directory on your "C" drive. This is another pst file repair utility. Don't forget -- backup your pst file before running these!!!

J

Joe Bryant

Still Crashing

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the help. Tried both the repair suggestions and no success.

I guess my main question is this - are there any known compatibility problems using the GTD addin with Outlook XP? I'm Ok if there are, I'll go back to Outlook 2000. But I'd like to know before I do that.

Thanks.

Joe

whkratz

Registered
Joe -- No, XP and the Addin do not inherently conflict. There is something else going on in your setup, I believe.

kglade

Registered
Joe:

I am running outlook XP and the add-in with no significant issues so I agree with Bill that there is no inherent problem.

Ken

A

Anonymous

whkratz said:
Joe -- No, XP and the Addin do not inherently conflict. There is something else going on in your setup, I believe.

Thanks Bill and Ken.

I'll keep digging.

Joe

tominperu

Registered
I had a recent problem similar to this and the answer was to export the tasks to a backup (pst) file, repair the backup file with scanpst. Then delete the original tasks and import from the backup file afresh.

You could also reinstall Outlook XP before you import (after also backing up all your other Outlook data).

Tom

M

memobug

I've seen it too.

I saw this error come up on my XP installation the second day of operation. I think I had opened a task, clicked on the Open (related) email and maybe moved something between folders or that I shouldn't have done manually after opening an attachment.

I don't know exactly what it was but I had several windows open.

Regards,

Matt