GTD and Mindmaps

M

madridSP

Hello to all,

some of you is using mindmaps and GTD simultaneously? How? What for? It is effective?

For me, they are two very attractive subjects but I do not know how to fuse them with effectiveness.

Thanks for your contributions

From Madrid, Spain :wink:

kglade

Registered
I use mind maps as a tool for brainstorming. There is no direct use in GTD, meaning that GTD can be implemented without mind mapping.

When I need to brainstorm, I use a mind map to capture and organize my thoughts. Then I look at the mind map and extract projects and next actions as needed. My most recent mind map involved changes that I had to make to our corporate phone system to implement a customer support product line.

Regards,
Ken

M

mconnick

Mind Maps and GTD

I use Mind Maps as the heart of my GTD system. I use Mind Manager Business Edition on my PC and Mind Manager Mobile on my Pocket PC.

Each day I create a Diary Mind Map (from a template I've created for each day of the week). The Mind Map has branches for each of my GtD contexts. In my case they are Home, Errands, Computer, Work, Telephone, and Waiting For. There are two additional branches: Values and Log. In Values I have branches devoted to the current "virtue" I'm emphasizing this week. The Log branch is the root of any journal-type information I want to record that day. For example, meeting notes are sub-branches of Log.

At the start of each day I print out a copy of the previous day's Diary Mind Map and stick it in a binder. This provides me with a complete summary of that day's activities in one page. I've never been able to find any other method that presents so much information in such a concise format. Of cource I also keep the original soft-copies to allow me to do automated searches.

In addition I have a My Projects Mind Map that contains branches for all my current projects, both work and personal, and a Someday/Maybe branch. This is used in the Weekly Review.

Finally, I use Mind Maps for brainstorming, project planning (Mind Manager syncs with Microsoft Project), creating presentations (Mind Manager automatically create PowerPoint presentations), and capturing key ideas from books and articles I read.

I've been using Mind Mapping for over 5 years and I've never found any technique that rivals it for the organizing information.

Michael Connick
The Connected PDA - http://radio.weblogs.com/0124865/

A

Anonymous

Mindmap templates

mconnick,

Would you share your daily templates? Do you sync your Daily Maps to your Pocket PC and make notes in there or make notes on printed maps?

I am in construction and have been using Mind Maps to estimate and schedule. Have not made the leap yet to Microsoft Project. Any of your ideas are appreciated.

M

mconnick

Diary Mind Map Templates

First of all, I use both PC and PPC versions of Mind Manager most days. This product syncs extremely well.

My templates are extremely simple. I have one for each day of the week, just because I regularly do certain tasks each day. For example, on certain days I need to put out our trash at the curb for pickup, and each Monday I need to create a status report for work.

The Diary Mind Maps just consist of a central box with the date, and radiating branches labeled Home, Errands, Computer, Work, Telephone, Waiting For, Values, and Log. On Monday's template there will be a sub-branch of Work named Status Report. This branch will have an empty checkbox icon. Mind Manager provides a whole bunch of handy icons. After I complete the Status Report, I'll change the icon to a checked checkbox.

That's pretty much it. This forum doesn't support attachments or I'd attach a JPEG export of one my Diary Mind Maps for you to see just how simple they are.

M

madridSP

Mindmaps

Hello mconnick,

Thank you for your answer!!

I have read that Tony Buzan and Joyce Wycoff use minmaps as daily planner and i wonder if some member of the forum also uses them like part of its GTD.

I am trying to implement it, but I have doubts:
- branches are the contexts? -
- branches are the projects? -
- they are both?
- I have to point absolutely each one of the calls or appointments of the day?
- I can also take mindmap weekly? and monthly? how can I coordinate? Thanks again,

A

Anonymous

Mindmap

Mr McConnick

How about posting it somewhere else and giving us a url?

Thanks
Mark

A

Anonymous

Mind Mapping

I am very impresssed with your usage of mind mapping, I learned mm about a year and a half ago and am just starting to use it more and more. I think your ideas are excellent ways to use it. I too wish we could see a visual just to make sure we understand how you are using it with GTD. I know it sounds simple but it is hard to understand it in writing. Let us know if you post it somewhere or wouldn't mind emailing it to a few of us!

M

mconnick

Re: Example Daily Diary Mind Map

I just tried it and it works fine. It certainly doesn't point to a file on my computer!

guest said:
Link does not work. it seems to point to some file on your local computer

A

Anonymous

mconnick said:
I just tried it and it works fine. It certainly doesn't point to a file on my computer!

guest said:

I get the link as
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Michael/My20Documents/Personal/D20030501.jpg

So maybe it works for you since the file can be located in your computer ?

M

mconnick

Ah, you meant the image, not the page URL! Yes, you were right, I screwed that up!!!

It should be fixed now.

Anonymous said:
mconnick said:

guest said:

I get the link as
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Michael/My20Documents/Personal/D20030501.jpg

So maybe it works for you since the file can be located in your computer ?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mike for the image. I have been using mind maps for brainstorming, presentations and idea-sorting. But I was not sure on its effectiveness for organizing to-dos. Your map concept and GTD methodology is encouraging. Thanks.

Siva

kable

Registered
XMind and Outlook for GTD

Hi, recently an application called XMindlook Sync was launched. It is a plugin for XMind, an open-source mind mapping application, that helps to implement GTD with mind mapping. Essentially, it allows you to arrange tasks graphicaly to suit your project or goals structure and then use MS Outlook for daily work with contexts and reminders.

You can check it out at their website, www.xmindlook.net

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Developer Disclosure

Hello Kable,

If you are related to the application you posted about, please note that so that our Forum readers know if you have a bias in recommending this application.

Thanks.

kable

Registered
Hi, actually, I am related, but I was not recommending the application, just informing that it is available as it seemed to me that it may be relevant in this thread. Anyway, I am sorry if it offended anyone.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
No offense...we're just trying to take good care of our Forum members in giving them a great environment for peer discussion. You can imagine what these Forums would be like if it became a free-for-all for everyone advertising their applications.

We do ask developers to disclose this here.