GTD at DisneyWorld

Esquire

Registered
My wife and I have just returned from our most recent Walt Disney World trip, but this is the first once since I've really been up-and-running with GTD, and what a difference!

I thought I'd share some of the ways I used GTD (primarily the capture/process stages) to really take alot of pressure off my mind.

We park our car in the downtown lot I use for work (to avoid paying to park at the airport) and take a taxi to the airport. As soon as we got out of the car, I entered an untimed entry on my CLIE for the date of our return "Parking Level G". (No worries about trying to remember where the car's parked).

Each day when we arrived at the parks, I made a similar entry for the section of the parking lot we parked in (i.e. Goofy 31). The last thing we want to do at the end of a long day is walk around that huge lot looking for our car.

I have Pocket Quicken on my CLIE, so every expenditure was captured immediately. (No need to carry the checkbook or keep unnecessary receipts).

We purchased a number of items that we had shipped directly home. As soon as we exited the store, an entry went onto my Waiting For list, with an attached note listing the date of purchase, the items purchased, the shipping number, and the store phone number. I still kept the receipts until the items arrive, but now I know I have all the info at hand whenever/wherever I need it.

Of course, any of those "When we get home I need to . . . " ideas went right into the CLIE and right off of my mind.

We go to Disney alot, so I started a project called "Plan next Disney Trip" and stored on the attached notes any ideas, tips or reminders that I want to have for the next time (i.e. approximately how much to expect to spend on food, best times/days to attend the parks, etc).

Finally, as we're awaiting the arrival of twins, I got some great nursery decorating ideas down there. They went into the attached note for a project called "Plan Nursery".

These are each little things, but combined they took a tremendous amount of "stuff" off of my mind and allowed us to enjoy our vacation.

A

Anonymous

Great Post ! GTD where the rubber meets the road .

Enjoyed it :D

Paul

S

selfishgene

It's a vacation, man

Look, I think it's great to be super enthusiastic about GTD. I've been high on it for a few years now and it's had a great impact on my life... but c'mon, you're on vacation!

There is no need to take your PDA to Disney World!

There is no need to bother with Pocket Quicken on your vacation. Everything will be on your credit card bill when you get home. And don't worry about where every cent went... relax and stay close to your budget and everything will be ok.

Some people tend to get carried away with GTD. Focus on enjoying your vacation and spending time with your family, not logging followup tasks for stuff you had shipped home.

I hope my wife would punch me if I busted out a PDA on vacation.

Keeping notes for the next trip is a great idea, though. I think everything else was overkill. I hope this is not what David Allen had in mind when he wrote the book.

GTDWorks

Registered
Esquire,

Good for you - this is exactily what we do to keep the psychic RAM empty and our minds engaged with our families while on vacation.

Bravo!

jarvek7

Registered
Bravisimo

I like that you were able to use GTD to keep your head clear and have fun. You sound like a pretty organized and disciplined person.

So many times we have one of those great "aha" moment while on vacation or out walking or running, etc and we lose it because we didn't capture it. You captured it and you're better for it.

Good luck with the twins!

M

mike

We also visit WDW quite often, and I have done similar things, but not to this extent. I usually just jot down the I need to do this when I get home type of things, being on vacation always spurs great ideas, and I need to capture them. I don't worry about the reciepts, I'm on vacation and had a budget planned, so I know we will be okay, but those aha moments are just too valuable not to capture right away so they can be processed when you get back to reality.

Looking forward to our Thanksgiving at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort!!

Mike

kewms

Registered
GTD on vacation:

Write transient information like location of car in Ubiquitous Capture Tool.

Write ideas in Ubiquitous Capture Tool. Process when you get home.

Throw receipts in envelope. Process when you get home.

Done.

Katherine

Day Owl

Registered
Esquire, whether you capture and process electronically (which you prefer and have just been scolded for) or on paper (which I would prefer myself), I applaud you for taking advantage of the state of mind that is likely to be induced by vacations: a relaxed and happy state in which new ideas are more available to us--sometimes even flooding in--and deserve to be captured. Vacations are for re-creation, after all.

wordsofwonder

Registered
As much as everyone's criticized Esquire for his use of GTD while on vacation, it seems to me that GTD did exactly what it was intended to: it freed him from stressing about stuff that was on his mind so he and his family could be fully engaged with the task in front of them. In this case, the task was to have fun at Disney World, but if capturing and processing all that stuff is what it took to give Esquire the right mental state to enjoy the vacation, what's wrong with that?

I'd tend toward a more minimalist, "capture on paper, process later" approach while on vacation myself, but I could easily see my partner doing what Esquire did. To each their own, as they say...

-- Tammy

howman

Registered
Esquire, great post. To each his own. If you feel better and more relaxed because you applied GTD during your vacation, then so be it.

Good luck with the twins. I've got a pair myself. GTD will help you a lot!

Best regards,
Howard

By the way, "a lot" is two words, not alot.

ceehjay

Registered
A lot

howman said:
By the way, "a lot" is two words, not alot.
I wouldn't be surprised to see this make its way into the dictionary before too many more years. When I was teaching a college class, "alot" showed up in the majority of papers. I even see it in the progress notes in medical charts where I work. I wonder when people began thinking of it as one word instead of two.

Carolyn

W

WebR0ver

ceehjay said:
I wonder when people began thinking of it as one word instead of two.

Carolyn

Probably the same time people started using ahold instead of hold. I've even seen this in print on more than one occasion.

And to not highjack this thread - I thought this was a great use of GTD!