GTD @computer dilemma

Jason Echols

Registered
From my experience, contexts are going to be a different fit for everyone.

I personally have a job where I sit at a desk with a computer all day. Since I have a company issued notebook, I can access everything at home that I can at the office. So do some degree, @office and @home are of no value to me. @computer is certainly not helpful. Since I carry a BlackBerry, the @calls and @internet contexts are also blurred.

Where I do find contexts to be useful, is in the area of agendas. What do I need to discuss with certain people?

I keep running lists of things I need to discuss with specific people. The contexts look like "@Agenda - [person's name]". That way, I rarely miss stuff I need to discuss with my wife & my best friends. I also know my time face to face with my manager is at a premium. So I make sure I cover anything that I need to collaborate with her on at one time. this clears the list, and then the list starts over.

So certain contexts, in my mind, are YMMV. But the agenda contexts are vitally important to me in terms of communication and necessary information exchange.