GTD For Adults w/ ADD?

T

TerranceDC

Hi,

I'm an adult with Attention Deficit Disorder. I'm 37, and was diagnosed at 33, but had lived with it untreated most of my life. You can imagine the effect that had on my work life.

Anyway, as I'm also a working parent, I'm desperately in need of some organization and time management. I'm reading GTD because I remembered a coworker recommending it a year ago, and I've gpttem about halfway through it in two days, in hopes that I'll have it finished by Monday and can start thinking about implementation.

My question is this. Does anyone know how well this system works for an adult with ADD? I've tried other systems in the past, and my experience is that I've always had difficulty maintaining them once started and returning to them if I get derailed. Maybe it's because I'm usually so desperate for a fix that I get started before I understand the total philosophy.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

R

ReBuild

There is no reason that GTD should not work for a person with ADD.

The real issue (and I speak as a individual with LD issues) is you're self. As you noted, you're always looking for the 1 best system and once you think you have found it you have difficulties in staying on or getting back on track.

My recommend action is to read the book plus get the free downloadable diagram for DA Co and slowly work through implementation. What you need to also do is set up some reward and feedback stuff. Rewards for getting to a particular milestone etc. A friend etc can be used for feedback ... their job is just to monitor you and provide support.

Just remember you are trying to change a life time of habits and that takes time. So take it one day at a time and do not throw in the towel if you slide for a day ... just pick yourself up and move forward.

One final thought keep you're GTD system simple ...

Jamie Elis

Registered
me, too!

I too seem to have attention issues (i.e.,what part of something to put my attention on and how to keep it there) and short-term memory issues (e.g., if I read something and have not written a little summary and turn the page I can't remember what it was I read, unless it was a very evocative description of an atmosphere or personality or a I am very familiar with the concepts and facts) and I seem to have a kind of wild associative tendancy so that between one idea and another that I generate, I drift unless I can focus. What helps me focus? -pressure, deadlines, novel ideas, written outlines, previewing (even if seeing a movie, I won't remember much about it unless I know the basic plot first), talking over plans and activities with interested and intelligent people, sketching out a flow chart. Sometimes medication at very low dosages but the medications I have tried sometimes make me aggitated and that exacerbates the problem, so I rely more on cognitive strategies.

Certain parts of GTD have been easy for me to implement:

1.The two-minute rule in processing paper stuff (like entering address and dates) and handling physical stuff (like sew the button on when folding the laundry rather than setting it aside, glue something back in place). The later means having the necessary materials at hand and in several parts of the house. GEtting set up for this continues to be a little difficult.

2. Defining projects in outcome terms. But I can get lost in creating projects that are too big and not see how to divide them into smaller projects. If the projects are too narrowly conceptualized then the outcomes don't fit together. Also, sometimes I don't distinguish between projects and the higher level guides, until I fail to make progress. I did not realize this until someone on the board noticed it.

3. Filing A to Z rather than creating elaborate hierachies. However, the rules need to made explicit and written down somewhere or duplicates filed. And I had to make certain exceptions.

4. Regularly reviewing the higher level values and purposes.

5. Entering true dated committments as soon as I encounter them and putting in lead-time reminders.

6. Using @adgenda for things I need to talk to people about or just tell them.

What does not work well yet-

1. Weekly review can too easly become a manic brain storming session.

2. I do a n/a but forget what project it goes to or where it fits in with the whole project. This happens in physical projects and in writing and planning projects. If I go back to the project description, I find myself re-conceptualizing the project or thinking about another related project.

3. Connecting incoming stuff with exisiting projects. I often can't remember if I have already created a project and an outline, or what. For example, I orderered a part for something (that took a few n/a) but when it arrived, I couldn't remember where I had put the item it went to, if I had decided to keep it or if I had decided to give it to family member who had expressed interest in it.

4. If there is a delay between n/as I get lost. If I need to move a dresser and I need someone to help me, I will forget where I wanted it go by the time he or she gets to my house. And, I won't remember if the project name is "dresser". "kid's room" or what. Once I find the information, I can't remember why I chose the location (and I may need it because the helper may suggest something that I already ruled out).

5. If there isn't a delay between the n/as, I may not recognize that I am going down a rabbit hole or fixating on a little detail.

6. I don't always see what specific context is appropriate for a particular n/a. because I am so focused on the n/a.

If anyone has any ideas on what might help, I welcome them I feel that improvement is a little bit at a time from different practices. LifeBalance was suggested ot me, but I have really, really afraid of diverting my time and energy to learn it.

Ruud

Registered
Well... In itself GTD is really very, very simple. By actually working with it you hit spots where you think "so how..." or something else prompts you to either ask questions or overanalyze.

In that respect GTD can make your life much more difficult, of course.

However, if you manage to stay away from overcomplicating things and going with the basics you're halfway there -- and have gained a lot.

In fact, if you can implement even only one thing from the book consistently you'll soon experience enormous relief.

I would start with the capture. Good thought? Write it down. "Hey, could you bring me..." -- write it down. "So next week let's..." -- write it down.

At least once a day go through that list and see what you need to do with those items.

@jamie - maybe these things can help:

3. Connecting incoming stuff with exisiting projects. I often can't remember if I have already created a project and an outline, or what. For example, I orderered a part for something (that took a few n/a) but when it arrived, I couldn't remember where I had put the item it went to, if I had decided to keep it or if I had decided to give it to family member who had expressed interest in it.

When the last step of the order was done it goes on your @waiting list: "@waiting widget delivery".

That entry needs extra information right with it. The date and the project it belongs to. Widget comes in. Grab @waiting list. Ah, that was something for a project -- which one it was is noted right there.

One format might be: "@waiting 06-11-25 widget delivery P:widget cranker"

Status, date, what, project.

Every entry, every NA should be easily traced back to its project...

4. If there is a delay between n/as I get lost. If I need to move a dresser and I need someone to help me, I will forget where I wanted it go by the time he or she gets to my house. And, I won't remember if the project name is "dresser". "kid's room" or what. Once I find the information, I can't remember why I chose the location (and I may need it because the helper may suggest something that I already ruled out).

I would capture more. The "move dresser project" might need upfront to have an entry about where the dresser is to be moved. Either way, I realize I need John Doe to help me. Fine. Call him and write down: @waiting John Doe move dresser bathroom

What's the name of the project?

Each action/entry has to have something to tie it in with its project. Number them, use abbreviations, anything. Forum member eeckberg has a wonderful paper based system with numbered projects, for example.

Still, sometimes you might lose the name of the project... That is where your project list comes in. You can easily scan it and see "Ah yes, it is called..."

Jamie Elis

Registered
I see

I think the message for me here is to really use each step of the system and to designate projects in a way that I easily find them again. Also, to keep my project notes in good order and accessible. Thanks

gtderik

Registered
yes

Yes, GTD helps.
This has been written about here to length.. but yes.. GTD has helped me enormously in focusing my attention to the task at hand + allowing me to corral commitments and complete them one at a time.

-Erik

Also, I echo the other members... GTD can be as complicated as you make it... dont fall down this rabbit hole! Keep it SIMPLE.

N

nancyrezmer

Just two categories - Work and Personal

This is how I simplified my categories for my business and family life. I'm married, two children (9 & 11) and a home office. The Someday Maybe files keep my overactive mind happy, acknowledged and less distracted.

@Work Projects
@Work - Someday Maybe
@Personal Projects
@Personal - Someday Maybe​

• The GTD audio and other educational programs have been very helpful. I use the audios to pace myself and get a pile of stuff done while I'm listening.
  • Empty in-boxes help me to feel like I've accomplished something.
  • I try to start my day with my tickler file. I keep directions, flyers, projects and paper trails placed in the daily folders.
  • My camera works as a great capture tool to remember people, things, document projects, etc. I also create quick movies with audio capture. My house projects are not a list, but a contact sheet of pictures.
  • I enjoy playing with technology tools. However, I find that they usually are a bigger distraction than help. I've been a big fan of MindManager for about 4 years now and I'm testing ResultsManager 2, which has a lot of bells and whistles that I might have to scale down. I don't watch much TV, so I consider playing with software as part of my recreation time. It's my time to hyper focus.
  • Some weeks I only use a paper system, other weeks I only use the computer. And during my intense ADD moments, well....I don't use anything....as many of you can laugh with me about that....oh well.... I'm still a work in progress.

Nancy

Ruud

Registered
Interesting stuff there, Nancy!

My camera works as a great capture tool [...]

I do that too! I have boxes with decorative "stuff" in it. It becomes hard to remember what is where. The photos give an easy way of browsing what is in the house without actually messing around in every box :)

I also create quick movies with audio capture.

Haven't experimented with that yet. What type of projects/items/actions would you typically prefer to film this way?

My house projects are not a list, but a contact sheet of pictures.

Brilliant! I like anything that makes capture faster, smoother. Your idea even eliminates the transcribing process. Going to experiment with this!

N

nancyrezmer

Digital Cameras - a great tool for GTD

Thanks Ruud. I can't ever remember anyone calling me brilliant... so I will soak up that wonderful comment! :D

Digital cameras are a blessing for me because they can keep up with my mind...which overwhelms with me ideas daily. I can imagine that there are so many creative ways to adapt a camera as a GTD tool. One day I look forward to getting a Treo phone with a camera. I keep things very simple so that I can execute quickly. Perfect photos are not my goal. Here are some tips that have worked well for me to capture information.

• I own several flash cards so that I can drop them in my in-box to process. Sometimes I update several times a day and then clean off the card. Other times I just leave the images in the card.
  • My images are first stored by Year, Month, then by date in my picture file folders for general reference. If I want to further organize the images or movies for GTD, I make a copy of the images and put them in the the following four image folders:
    • Work Projects
    • Work - Someday Maybe
    • Personal Projects
    • Personal - Someday Maybe
  • My screen savers are randomly displayed from the four files listed above. I also use the slide show feature from Picture Manager and other photo viewing tools for quick reviews. I jokingly call it "Madison Avenue GTD" because I look at the images over and over and over. The visual cues do keep me on track and repetition works. It seems to be a great warm up tool for the weekly review, especially if I play some great background music.
  • Most of my lists have 9 different wallet size images printed on a regular sheet of paper so that I can write on it. Contact sheets work good too, but don't use photo paper. Black and white images help save on the toner or ink costs. Microsoft Picture Manager makes it easy to do this.
  • The camera is also my super sneaky way of inspiring my family to get things done too because they always want to see my screen savers. I take pictures of everything - good and bad, but nothing too embarrassing. I look for projects in the bathroom, bedrooms, kitchen, garage, under the bed, car, garden and things that just need to get done. I also take pictures of my family doing the work, like mowing the lawn, emptying the garbage, filing papers and working together. The kids also use the camera to take pictures of things they want at the store or places to go for their birthdays, vacations and holidays. I have a lot of brown road sign pictures that I want to go to one day!
  • I insert images in most of my mind maps that I use with MindManager software. It saves on the typing. Today I'm taking pictures of a meeting room to plan how to set things up for an upcoming event. Sometimes my weekly review is in pictures. When my husband comments that I never seem to get anything done, I just show him before and after pictures. It's my proof tool! ;)
  • My auditory processing skills are challenged, so I take short 15 - 60 second movies when someone is giving me a demonstration, information, instructions, sharing a story, making a wish, etc. The shorter, the better. I also create a sound file if I need to remember a name, place or thing. It's fairly easy to do on some of the digital cameras. It's also a hoot to show my husband what his face looks like when he is giving me "instructions" because he thinks I don't listen well. Of course, sometimes he gets it wrong...so I have additional proof!
It took me a while to give myself permission to think of my camera as a capture tool, but now I seem to use it just about everywhere I go along with my note taking tool. I'm careful not to be obnoxious about taking pictures, sensitive to legal issues and I ask permission if necessary. Most people don't seem to mind, especially since they usually want me to send a digital copy to them. For me, it's a lot of fun and creates some great memories, besides helping me to get things done.

Nancy

Ruud

Registered
Thanks for the extensive reply, Nancy.

It took me a while to give myself permission to think of my camera as a capture tool

Strange how we can resist ourselves :) One of my favorite capture devices is the voice recorder built into my pocket PC. I started out taking notes on it but grabbing the thing, pressing record and speaking the note is so much easier and faster.

Definitely going to play around with your camera idea -- and going to keep a look out for your other posts. Never know what jewels you're hiding in them!

Thanks!

P

pooks

I have ADD and agree that GTD works great for those of us with "issues!"

One thing that DA recommends that not enough people seem to notice is to find tools you actually enjoy using. This means choosing tools that are fun, or pleasing to your eye, or for any other reason bring you pleasure.

When I bought the book, Getting Things Done, I read it one chapter at a time, and used it to clean/organize my office. I refused to let myself read ahead (thus eliminating the temptation to skip any steps) and I can't say enough about this system and how great it is.

Good luck!

Filing Digital Images received from Family via email

Nancy,

Your ideas about using your digital camera as a capture tool are wonderful. I am going to be thinking about that over the next few days and seeing how it may help me.

New question for you or anyone who is watching.

I have various family members that email my digital photos. Some are fun to look at and can then be deleted but some are good keepers. What are some best practices you are using? ...saving into email folders? ...saving off to a file structure on your PC?

Thanks
Larry

ceehjay

Registered
Saving Digital Photos

I have a photos or pictures folder, subdivided into other folders. I have them named by person who sent them or subject. For example, photos of my granddaugher are saved to a subfolder named for her. Other folders are named for specific vacation location and date, etc.

What would be most meaningful to you and would help you find what you are looking for the fastest?

Carolyn

kewms

Registered
Larry Nordlinger;44117 said:
I have various family members that email my digital photos. Some are fun to look at and can then be deleted but some are good keepers. What are some best practices you are using? ...saving into email folders? ...saving off to a file structure on your PC?

I save into a file structure on my PC, then use Picasa (Windows) or iPhoto (Mac) to manage them. Visual tools let you skim through dozens of photos in seconds, far less time than it would take to open and review a bunch of email folders. Saving the photos off separately also makes it far easier to do other things with them, from sending on to someone else to printing a postcard or posting to a web page.

Katherine

Claudia Volkman

Registered
Filing Digital Images

I have discovered a great company called Photomax - you upload your digital photos to your own private website, and then you can send a link to anyone to allow them to view the photos, as well as move them over onto their own website - all for free. You can keep all your photos organized by albums, you keep your hard drive uncluttered, and you can do some pretty cool things with the photos too.

You can check it out by visiting my website: www.YourPhotoDiva.com

I liked it so much, I made it one of my businesses - and I love Nancy's idea above about using your camera as a GTD capture tool!

S

Silvia

GTD for Adults w/ADD

TerranceDC;43744 said:
Does anyone know how well this system works for an adult with ADD?...Any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm an adult with ADD and I've had to tweak GTD to be ADD-friendly for me. I use LifeBalance, which has put a special emphasis on serving the needs of an ADD clientele.

1. My current view only shows NAs for the current week, to keep from getting overwhelmed. My SomeDay/Maybe is divided into "Next Week" (reviewed very often), "Next Month" and "Next Quarter." Everything else is "Someday."

2. Every week during my weekly review, I update my list of Current Projects (projects to work on this coming week). I refer to this list very often, because it helps me to stay focused on what I've defined as important.

3. I have an @Today context. Every morning, I look at my Current Projects and Current NAs and move certain ones into @Today. This gives me a very manageable list to work with every day (and avoid being overwhelmed). It's also good practice for making a realistic plan for each day (we ADDers *always* think we can do more than is realistic). I try to set myself up for success.

4. At the end of the day, any undone actions in the @Today context get moved back into their original contexts again. I've learned the hard way that this list can grow and grow. So I start with a clean slate each day. That feels good!

5. We ADDers are NOT good at waiting in lines. So whenever I have to wait for something, I take out my PDA and do a mini-review or update my system. I process/organize NAs from my inbox, review my projects and make sure they all have NAs, etc. This keeps me very current. Also, one aspect of ADD is deficits in short-term memory, so it brings everything back to mind regularly. This practice has really saved me from many a potential "oops" (missed appointments, missed deadlines, etc.).

6. I use Handyshopper for my checklists: morning routines, evening routines, housekeeping routines (a la Flylady), books to read, etc. So I only need a single NA on LifeBalance, e.g., "Do Morning routines".

7. I use alarms a lot whenever anything is time sensitive. Any Hard Landscape is given an alarm set for a realistic "get ready" time (not just travel time), since DDers have a very hard time with punctuality.

8. I'm getting more and more ruthless at cleaning out my stale NAs -- am I realistically going to ever do this? I'll do anything to keep from being overwhelmed and thus paralyzed into inaction.

This is what works for me as a long-time GTD and LB user.

Oh, and I have to keep changing my system a bit when it gets stale, because the ADD brain needs constant stimulation and systems stop working after a while. The way I do this is to temporarily switch from LifeBalance to TimeOnMySide -- and then back again. I know it's inefficient to do this, but it's essential in order to keep my system working for me. I have very good setups for both PIMs (thanks to the GTD "pioneers" on each of these).

Silvia

S

Silvia

LifeBalance suggestion

Jamie Elis;43754 said:
2. I do a n/a but forget what project it goes to or where it fits in with the whole project...
3. Connecting incoming stuff with exisiting projects...

LifeBalance was suggested ot me, but I have really, really afraid of diverting my time and energy to learn it.

I'll echo the LifeBalance suggestion.

It has a hierarchical view, so you can always see your projects and the NAs that fall under each one. You can also see when there is no NA under a project.

It also has a contexts view, so you can see your phone calls, errands, or whatever...

Also the support from the Llamas (the folks at Llamagraphics) is phenomenal.

Silvia

S

Silvia

Error corrected from previous post

Oops, I didn't mean to refer to "TimeOnMySide" on my previous post, but TimeTo software. The link is here:

http://www.davidberman.com/software/timeto.php

Sorry for the confusion.

Silvia

Silvia;44623 said:
Oh, and I have to keep changing my system a bit when it gets stale... The way I do this is to temporarily switch from LifeBalance to TimeOnMySide -- and then back again.
Silvia

Jamie Elis

Registered
what devices and related?

Thanks Sylvia for all the detail. I believe more and more that I too have an attention problem that my system must help overcome. If you are willing to tell a little more about your system I would appreciate it.

For me it is the program(s) as well as the overall functionality of inputing the info (would prefer to do main inputting via desk top), seeing the information clearly (I wear glasses just for reading) and holding and checking off items in the device. Have not reached a comfortable relationship with Palm in this regard.

I am afraid of dropping my Palm if I use it standing up and not over a desk or counter. I also left it at a store counter but I went back and found it. I just find it very hard to consult the Pal device if I am out and about (put on my glasses, remove from case, find stylus or pencil and try not to drop it, make some mark to indicate I have done the item, see what I need to do next in the context, locate the specifics on a Palm list, etc, such as size or part number.). My attention just gets frittered away in this process and I am a wreck by the time I have left the location, unless it is desk or library work). I have been looking at Palm accesories and hoped to get a better case for myself by Christmas and although I bought one for a friend, I didn't find one that I could loop on my wrist and hold open at same time.

I am still working on developing a system that works better for me than just the Palm plain vanilla for GTD projects and n/as and various lists, date in datebook) and my handwritten checklist in a teacher's roll book that I use for recurring daily stuff . LifeBalance is recommended by several really shart sounding GTDers, so I am playing around with it. For my many recurring tasks, I have explored Sciral Consistency (runs on Palm) and rejected it for now because it does not synch to windows desktop and there is a lot to input and that is frustrating on the Palm, plus I would like to be able to print out a week or month's worth of tickings to see how I am doing overrall. I also tried List Pro butI can't figure it out.

I am guessing that you use Handy Shopper and Life Balance on Palm, but Time To seems to not be for Palm.

Also, did you come to it yourself or was it recommended in a class or a book?