GTD + Omnifocus + Horizons of Focus

Windsor

Registered
Hi guys,

I've been using GTD concepts for 4-5 years and currently use Omnifocus as my list manager. Does anyone here successfully use GTD with Omnifocus and the 'Horizons of Focus' concept to manage their life from their life purpose to their next actions?

With thanks
Windsor

chris101

Registered
adding OmniOutliner to the mix

Hi Windsor,

I use OmniFocus for projects and next actions but track the higher levels through OmniOutliner. While it probably sounds a bit naff, i really like using narrow, colour-coded checklists that i can place alongside my main Omnifocus window: e.g. 20,000 ft. next to the main window through to 50,000 ft. at the other side of the screen. The downside of this approach is that i need to manually drag things around to get it set up; the upside is that it allows me to think about the various breaks and continuities that run through the levels in ways that i wasn't able to do when i was using a hierarchical structure within OmniFocus.

I'm also interested to see how others do this within (or in conjunction with) OmniFocus.

cheers,
chris.

Oogiem

Registered
Windsor;84108 said:
Does anyone here successfully use GTD with Omnifocus and the 'Horizons of Focus' concept to manage their life from their life purpose to their next actions?

My areas of focus are a direct outgrowth of a text document with a personal statement of purpose. I organize my Omnifocus projects with folders for each area of focus. WHen I look at my projects I can easily see if I am overweighting one area of focus.

As a result I pretty much don't have any projects that do not relate to something I have decided is important to my overall purpose.

The folder structure is enough for me to keep it all together.

rideon

Registered
I too organize with a folder for each area of focus but create another folder for the horizons of focus and a subfolder for each level. Intrigued by the OmniOutliner idea.

chris101

Registered
OmniOutliner for Higher Levels

rideon;84148 said:
Intrigued by the OmniOutliner idea.

For those who might be interested, i adapted my Higher level lists from my Weekly Review checklist. Even if you don't go down the path of using OmniOutliner for all of the higher levels it's great for keeping the Weekly Review on track.

Oh and before i forget, i cannot claim credit for the design of the checklist. It's taken from a template someone posted on another forum (i can't remember where). I just changed the background colours.

Attached files

dna3e8

Registered
Example?

chris101;84111 said:
Hi Windsor,

I use OmniFocus for projects and next actions but track the higher levels through OmniOutliner. While it probably sounds a bit naff, i really like using narrow, colour-coded checklists that i can place alongside my main Omnifocus window: e.g. 20,000 ft. next to the main window through to 50,000 ft. at the other side of the screen. The downside of this approach is that i need to manually drag things around to get it set up; the upside is that it allows me to think about the various breaks and continuities that run through the levels in ways that i wasn't able to do when i was using a hierarchical structure within OmniFocus.

I'm also interested to see how others do this within (or in conjunction with) OmniFocus.

cheers,
chris.

Can you post a screen shot? I am having trouble visualizing it.

This How I interpreted your horizons piece:

Attached files