GTD Outlook 2010 64-bit Plugin

srowat

Registered
Hi,

We recently upgraded to Outlook 2010 and to my disappointment the GTD Outlook Plugin does not work well with Outlook 2010 and does not work at all with Outlook 2010 64-bit version. I relied on this plugin as part of my GTD implementation at work and at home and not having a version that will work with Outlook 2010 64-bit version is having a huge impact on my productivity and organization. Furthermore, NetCentrics has informed me that they have no plans for a 64-bit versoin until they have enough demand for it and at this time they do not have enough demand. That is a huge disappointment as well not to mention the huge impact not having the plugin is having on my productivity. 64-bit is not new technology and all computers purchased in the past many years have been 64-bit and more importantly anyone who has purchased a new computer in the past year or so most likely has purchased it with a 64-bit operating system and are purchasing 64-bit versions of application software when avaialble.

Anyway, I encourage anyone who either requires or will require in the not-too-distant future the GTD Outlook Plugin for Outlook 2010 64-bit version to contact NetCentrics to let them know so that they realize that there is demand for a 64-bit version and will hopefully provide one in a timely manner.

Thanks,
Scott

mudz78

Registered
+1

HI, I have recently begun to look at seriously implementing a GTD system into my life. I find the lack of 64-bit support in the NetCentrics GTD Outlook add-on to be quite astounding. I was very keen on purchasing a couple of licenses, but am now forced to look for alternate solutions.

Surely the developer could take a more proactive approach in their product? Every person I know is running a 64-bit operating system. It seems to me that waiting for the demand to spike is sort of missing the boat in the product life cycle.

Anyway, here's hoping that 64-bit support is announced in the next two weeks...before I am forced to wave goodbye to NetCentrics forever.

foltzg

Registered
This is exactly why I'm wary of Plug-Ins: Lack of support.

This is exactly my fear; getting hooked on a Plug-In and then not having support. If you are going to publish a piece of software that people are going to rely on for critical functions, you have to keep it up to date.

I am appalled that DavidCo would align themselves with a company that will not update their software to work with technology that is common place at this point. This is not minor, this is major.

I am NOT going to take the responsibility to have to bug Netcentrics to update their software. If they cannot do that themselves, then they will wither and die on the vine. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but when we extend ourselves to rely on and trust a company to do the right thing and they don't, then they do so at their own peril.

If I could control my environment that is one thing, but in a corporate setting most times you cannot.

I will check out MYN/ClearContext rather than spend any time with the Netcentrics product.

Thank you for the update.

Gene

NetCentrics

Registered
GTD Outlook Add-in 64 bit plans

Thank you for your interest in the GTD Outlook Add-in.

There have been several questions raised on this forum about our development plans in light of Outlook 2010, especially the 64 bit edition.

Traditionally, we've created new upgrades when the demand was sufficient to justify a development, and this case is no exception. The existing version works for Outlook 2010 using 32 bit architecture, but is not functional and not recommended under a 64 bit architecture. The 64 bit architecture requires a 64 bit Add-in, which will require a redevelopment of the existing Add-in.

We carefully followed Microsoft's messages about the 64 bit solution and have watched the adoption of the 64 bit technology. We are currently in planning stages for a new version, which may include a requirement to address 64 bit architecture. That determination will be made by the end of the third quarter 2011. We'll announce our plans for 64 bit architecture at that time, as well as further development plans.

You can help us understand the size of the market for 64 bit architecture by opening a discussion thread on our forum which helps us judge the number of people moving to the 64 bit architecture and the timing of those migrations. Please also remember to connect with us on our support site with any questions or if we can be of service to you.

Thanks for your interest.

The GTD Outlook Add-in development and support team
NetCentrics

tsturgeon1

Registered
Any update on this?

Has there been any update from the developers on this? I have been a huge GTD fan for a few years now, and am worried about the future of the GTD Outlook plug-in product. 64-bit operating systems and applications will soon be the norm. I would hate to have to go shopping for a new tool, just because the old one isn't supported on newer platforms.

count me in!

Look -- I am married to the Netcentrics add in

just today I had a meeting with an outside IT guy to help me re-do my technology -- from computers to cell phones etc. The number 1 thing I want to maintain from my current system is the outlook/netcentrics combo.

64 bit is necessary! and will it work over the microsoft exchange?

I bought the netcentics software because of davidco's imprimatur -- the support, the chatty videos etc -- I hope they do the right thing and ensure the update the product

derekwar

Registered
Yes, Please! 64-bit!

I've been using the plug-in for over 4 years. My employer just issued me a new PC that meets current best practices. That means 64-bit. I'm not sure what I'll do to work without it until NetCentric decides to support its customers...maybe you should change your company name to CustomerCentric? (

Results of GTD Outlook Add-In Request Feature Survey

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to the many people in the GTD Outlook Add-In user community who responded to our GTD Outlook Add-In most requested features survey. After reviewing the results of the survey, it’s clear there are several potential development paths. The feature that ranked highest was a request to develop a simplified GTD Add-In like application for handheld devices. We are pursuing discussions with the David Allen Company to discuss our existing agreement and to understand their directions on software development to determine if this is realistic.

The lowest ranked feature, by far, was for a 64 bit application. Survey respondents ranked features such as creating task dependencies, improving project details, adding new related task functionality, and other features much higher. While we have had some interest in a 64 bit application, the number of people requesting this feature was very small in proportion to the rest of the user base. Developing a 64 bit Add-In requires a substantial effort, which has very high costs for what is still a fairly small market. We don’t take the request lightly; however, given limited resources, we will postpone development of a 64 bit application until such time as we believe the market is large enough to validate the needs of the entire GTD Add-In customer base.

We will announce our development path for the GTD Outlook Add-In by mid-December.

Regards,

GTDOA Support Team

barboakley

Registered
Leaving GTD

I've used GTD software with Outlook for the past several years. I've had many issues with Office 2010 when I ran it as a 32 bit program on my 64 bit machine. When I installed the 64 bit version of Office, it resolved all those issues--but now, of course, I can't run GTD. What a shame--it will take me quite a while to convert over to another system. But I've no other choice. Once I convert to another system, there will be no way I will ever return to GTD, because I simply can't trust that the software support will be there. What a shame. Bye bye, GTD.

PS--you won't get requests to upgrade to a 64 bit version of GTD software from your users, because those who need it simply don't use GTD software anymore. You're drawing erroneous conclusions from a biased sample.

GTD_Grunt

Registered
Bad News...Netcentrics drops plans for 64-bit version of GTD Plugin

tsturgeon1;93061 said:
Has there been any update from the developers on this? I have been a huge GTD fan for a few years now, and am worried about the future of the GTD Outlook plug-in product. 64-bit operating systems and applications will soon be the norm. I would hate to have to go shopping for a new tool, just because the old one isn't supported on newer platforms.

Netcentrics announced right before Christmas that based on their market survey, there weren't enough users of 64-bit Outlook to make it viable for them to develop 64-bit Outlook.

My company just went to 64-bit Outlook this week, and 32-bit GTD won't work. I've been with Netcentrics since around 2.0, I'm going to miss them.

I'm a bit surprised at the amount of complaining they've done about the effort required to develop a 64-bit product, other companies seem to have no problems doing so. Time will tell if Netcentrics made the right decision, I guess.

64-bit Outlook is incredible, btw.

Drublue

Registered
Another GTD software user lost to 64 Bit

I just replace my system at the office and did not realized I could not use GTD with 64 bit Outlook. I notified NetCentric that I am interested in a 64 Bit option. Does anyone know an alternative? It's been only 1 day and I already miss it!

manrenz

Registered
Open Source alternative for Outlook

Hi,
for all of you living in Outlook: Jello Dashboard maybe an alternative to netcentrics.

It's opensource, it supports exchange, it's based on tasks and categories, therefore you can have all your tasks on your mobile device if it supports syncing to outlook tasks or exchange.
[EDIT 1+2] And it needs NO administrative privileges for installation, you can just unzip it, since it's pure HTML and javascript.

It's a bit rough around the edges in some cases...

http://jello-dashboard.net

Regards
Manuel

Ahik

Registered
Disappointing indeed

manrenz;94892 said:
Hi,
for all of you living in Outlook: Jello Dashboard maybe an alternative to netcentrics.

It's opensource, it supports exchange, it's based on tasks and categories, therefore you can have all your tasks on your mobile device if it supports syncing to outlook tasks or exchange.
[EDIT 1+2] And it needs NO administrative privileges for installation, you can just unzip it, since it's pure HTML and javascript.

It's a bit rough around the edges in some cases...

http://jello-dashboard.net

Regards
Manuel

Will give jello-dashboard a try - hope it will help re-bounce - overcome the suffering of getting off my addiction to GTD ;(

Qself

Registered
Netcentrics Plug IN

Hi Fellow GTD'ers,

As a design engineer and early adopter by necessity of Windows 64 bit of professional necessity, you don't have to install the 64 bit versions of Microsoft Office and in fact there is no real benefit to doing so unless you are doing something ultra-sophisticated, or your IT department requires it. Microsoft hasn't gotten Internet Explorer 64 bit to work reliably in all circumstances yet.

Run the 32 bit version of Microsoft Office until you have to change - that is what I do, and if Outlook is a bit slow - it is your hard disk drive, not the program that is the issue. I have an SATA 3 Solid State Disk Outlook and my 1.3 GB mail file load in about 3-4 seconds - or 60-90 seconds with a conventional hard disk. Word & Excel load almost instantaneously, a giant program like Solidworks or Photoshop CS5-64 where you really need 64 bit, loads in 5 seconds.

Warmest, Doug

Nparker

Registered
No support for 64Bit????

I hear you Scott,

Thats a killer. Just got shot down by the same problem.
Even a proposed release date from Netcentrics would be good. I just upgraded our entire company to 64bit so a rollback is not really an option.

Its quite frustrating to drop a product you like due to lack of support for the current OS.

Nick

srowat;85891 said:
Hi,

We recently upgraded to Outlook 2010 and to my disappointment the GTD Outlook Plugin does not work well with Outlook 2010 and does not work at all with Outlook 2010 64-bit version. I relied on this plugin as part of my GTD implementation at work and at home and not having a version that will work with Outlook 2010 64-bit version is having a huge impact on my productivity and organization. Furthermore, NetCentrics has informed me that they have no plans for a 64-bit versoin until they have enough demand for it and at this time they do not have enough demand. That is a huge disappointment as well not to mention the huge impact not having the plugin is having on my productivity. 64-bit is not new technology and all computers purchased in the past many years have been 64-bit and more importantly anyone who has purchased a new computer in the past year or so most likely has purchased it with a 64-bit operating system and are purchasing 64-bit versions of application software when avaialble.

Anyway, I encourage anyone who either requires or will require in the not-too-distant future the GTD Outlook Plugin for Outlook 2010 64-bit version to contact NetCentrics to let them know so that they realize that there is demand for a 64-bit version and will hopefully provide one in a timely manner.

Thanks,
Scott

jlfreire

Registered
Missing Opportunities

The lack of 64bits support is really a lack of vision on the Netcentrics part.
I'm afraid that even the decision that they had, was based on wrong data... I'm not client of Netcentrics and I was not even able to register in the forum to express my vote for the 64bits plugin...
Don't know how many clients they already lost by that single fact...

Well, the missing opportunities for some will be used by others, I'm sure of it.

Best,
Joao Freire

Registered
64 bit GTD plugin

Hi ! I've been using the GTD plugin very happily for several years, and have just hit a wall when our company started migrating us off Win XP and onto Win 7 64 bit. I agree with several of the posters that 64 bit is now becoming the corporate norm and that this will trend will increase as Microsoft's threat to stop supporting XP will materialise this year. Would REALLY appreciate a 64-bit version of the plugin since the alternative for me is to find another (probably not-as-good) product. Thx.