Help for a newbie!

mannie1972

Registered
Father of 2, supply chain manager in the seafood industry, panel member in the children's hearings system (Scotland), explorer scout commissioner responsible for the scouting provision for 100 scouts, regional advisor for young leaders responsible for the scouting provision for 300 scouts..... where is best to GTD? I have outlook 2010 at work, Outlook 2013 at home, online services (Microsoft) for Scouts and Panel. Currently running a paper diary to co-ordinate everything whilst still keeping all the various on-line elements up to date. Advice for this 42 year old coffee addict please.

GTD-Sweden

Registered
As a Mac/omnifocus I can´t really advice you on what technical platform you should use. I give you an advice as being a father of 2 and 41 years old and from Europe... Whatever system you choose - be fanatical about this!:) The process gives you as much as you put in - and the result is marvelous when you master it to a high degree. I read the book in 2005, but I did not really apply the method in a good way until about two years ago. Take some coaching, that speeds up the learning curve. I have not done that either but doing this yourself is like learning to serve in tennis (that is, it takes longer time).

Oogiem

Registered
mannie1972 said:
Currently running a paper diary to co-ordinate everything whilst still keeping all the various on-line elements up to date. Advice for this 42 year old coffee addict please.
Stick with paper and implement the procedures and habits of GTD. Then perhaps consider changing your technology to better suit you.

Sign on for the free GTD Connect Trial and see if you have access to the hints on how to set up GTD systems on paper and in Outlook. I;m on a Mac and use Omnifocus, DEVONThink, Mac Calendar and Mac Mail so my choices won't be suitable. What matters is the process not the tools.

Read the book again in about 6-8 weeks, it's amazing how much you pick up after you've started.

Weekly Review as if your life depends on it. Maybe start even doing them twice a week.

Develop the habit of capturing EVERYTHING, no matter how small. I use pen and paper and am just starting to use my phone and voice notes but the method doesn't matter. Important thing is capture it and then process it.

Plan on an hour to 1.5 hours a day to process new inputs. Seems like it's far too much time but in my experience it's barely enough. If you don't process new stuff you'll get even further behind. DOn't want TV, cut back on reading or stay up an extra 15 minutes a day to get a bit more time but don't skimp on processing.

Separate backlog for processing as a separate project from current incoming stuff. When you first get going it may take months to clear the backlog of stuff. That can get overwhelming so tackle it slowly while learning how to stay current.

When processing your backlog tackle a single system/area at a time. Perhaps e-mail, then computer files then paper files or clear the desk of misc stuff, doesn't matter where you start but pick one, perhaps the one that is most bothering you and stick with it until it's clean then move to the next one. Think of it like spring cleaning for your life and tackle it one "room" at a time.

In 6 months or so get and read the other 2 books, they make more sense after you've implemented GTD for a while.

David Parker

GTD Connect
Mannie

I'd echo the advice from Oogiem and stick with paper to get the best out of GTD and its habits. Given you must be outside a lot, a paper system is more portable and is always "on" - no need for the internet.

If you want to get the best out of Outlook, the GTD Guides - this one for Outlook 2013 https://gettingthingsdone.com/store/product.php?productid=16996&cat=263&page= and this one for Outlook 2010 https://gettingthingsdone.com/store/product.php?productid=16704&cat=263&page= might also help. Only $10 each and can be downloaded (roughly £6.34 each).

David

Last edited:

David Parker

GTD Connect
Glad you like them! I've been using them since the start of the year and now prefer them to my A5 Filofax as they're pocketable . . .

W/C Day/Date means week commencing day and date so this week would be Mon 15/6 (as I put day before month) or Sun 14/6 if you prefer a Sunday week start.

David

TesTeq

Registered
drparker48 said:
W/C Day/Date means week commencing day and date so this week would be Mon 15/6 (as I put day before month) or Sun 14/6 if you prefer a Sunday week start.

C = "commencing"! Now I understand though it seems a little redundant for me.

I like the idea that:
[1] = today
[7] = this week
[31] = this month
finger pointing left = Waiting For
finger pointing right = Agendas

bcmyers2112

Registered
mannie1972 said:
where is best to GTD?

That's like asking "what's the best color?" There is no definitive answer. It's entirely subjective. There are many tools that will suffice for GTD. The key success factor will be your diligence in applying the processes. There is no app that will provide a shortcut to that.

bcmyers2112

Registered
Oogiem said:
Weekly Review as if your life depends on it. Maybe start even doing them twice a week.

Develop the habit of capturing EVERYTHING, no matter how small. I use pen and paper and am just starting to use my phone and voice notes but the method doesn't matter. Important thing is capture it and then process it.

Plan on an hour to 1.5 hours a day to process new inputs. Seems like it's far too much time but in my experience it's barely enough. If you don't process new stuff you'll get even further behind. DOn't want TV, cut back on reading or stay up an extra 15 minutes a day to get a bit more time but don't skimp on processing.

Actually I find myself falling off the GTD wagon every once in a while -- in fact, sometimes life requires it -- but I have no problem hopping back on when I get the opportunity. Just this last weekend I was unable to do my weekly review, but I am still benefiting from my overall GTD practice.